Service Trailer Brake System Warning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
This morning I got a Service Trailer Brake warning and my P-sense backup sensors wouldn't come on. The whole thing occurred for about 30 seconds when I first started the truck then everything was fine.

A quick internet search showed some people having similar problems. The strange thing is the warning message didn't stay in my "stored messages" section in my DIC. So, I'm sure I'll just get the typical dealer denial that they can't find anything wrong.

One person online said check the fuses and I'm going to. I just figured I'd start a thread here in case anyone has had this happen or finds this in a search later. I'll report back if it gets worse or if anything else happens.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had it happen one time. Same senario message came up. I turned the truck off waited around 30 seconds and started it back up and the message was gone. No message was stored in mine either. It has never done it again

Last edited:

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
^^^ Ditto ^^^

Valhakar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L/Aisin 6 speed
Sounds like circuit latency. A passive way to check a sensor system is to send power to the circuit and then wait for the circuit to respond. In the old days that was simple as everything was controlled with relays in the Body Control Unit. Now days the ECU sits on tope of other system processors and waits for them to take the selected action. If a sub system has a slower response time, you get a pantheon of errors.

How do I have an opinion of this? 10 years owning a Range Rover and dealing with the gremlins. :D If it happens once chalk it up to a power up glitch. If it happens more you may have an issue with the electronics and need a diagnostic.

FYI, camera on your phone is great for error capturing. Proof along with a date/time stamp.

toofart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 8 spd
I get that message once in a blue moon when there's been a lot of driving rain, or the connector got snow. Goes away on its own.

CF_Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
And this whole time I though the stored messages was for texting and I could;t figure out how to get them to go there... The things you learn.

Tyler S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Has anyone found a solution for this? My 2020 does this every day it is extremely obnoxious. Once restarted..it starts over. Check trailer wiring then service trailer brake

vlamgat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had this problem whenever I connected. About 15 minutes after departure I would get the message to Service Trailer Brake. I was using a connecting cable that had worked without problems on a previous Ford F550 application. On the advice of another 5500 owner, I replaced the cable and the problem messages nver appeared and trailer brakes working as they had previously despite the message.