Setting new guage cluster mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I believe that will need a bit of programming; I know the dealer can do it under certain circumstances, but I'm curious as well.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I've not seen anyone explain how to actually do it, I suspect the equipment involved would be cost or at least acquisition time prohibitive for one time use. Most people send them to someplace like http://tvandnav2go.com/ RAM cluster programing (Mileage, Idle hours, Run hours) is $175 and that includes priority return shipping. Turnaround is usually 1 day with them. If you are near NYC you can go to them and have it done on the spot as well. There are also some sellers that include programming in the cost (ClusterSurgeon on Ebay, Infotainment.com, etc)

-K

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I believe that will need a bit of programming; I know the dealer can do it under certain circumstances, but I'm curious as well.

Dealerships will not adjust mileage and are actually locked out from that function in their scan tools. They either install a new zero mileage cluster and affix a label to the door jamb, or they have cluster sent to them pre-programmed with hours/mileage but only if they retain the vehicle the whole time while they verify PCM stored mileage and have the incoming cluster programmed to that.

Last edited:

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
1) Take cluster out of truck

2) Send cluster to get reprogrammed

3) Install cluster back in truck

You're welcome. :Big Laugh:

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
Dealerships will not adjust mileage and are actually locked out from that function in their scan tools. They either install a new zero mileage cluster and affix a label to the door jamb, or they have cluster sent to them pre-programmed with hours/mileage but only if they retain the vehicle the whole time while they verify PCM stored mileage and have the incoming cluster programmed to that.
When I had my cluster replaced under warranty that's how they did it. Held my truck and had a programed cluster sent to replace so all the mileages match

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
When I had my cluster replaced under warranty that's how they did it. Held my truck and had a programed cluster sent to replace so all the mileages match

They basically have to do it that way as it is Federal Law. Either the replacement or repaired cluster is set at exact mileage or the new one installed has to be set to zero and label affixed to the door jamb.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/49/32704

UpInSm0kE

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500 Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Even if members know how to do it, they most likely are not going to tell us how they do it. That is their business.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I had mine done by TVandnav2Go - They did it day it was received and shipped back Pri Mail. Funny thing is, he was texting me when he was doing it asking about mileage, etc and then again when he was done, and it only took about 5 min. So I suspect they just plug it into laptop or tool, press a few buttons, and it's done. So for $175 it's a pretty good gig :). Of course, the tool might cost 10K for all I know. Reportedly infotainment.com was doing it for $99 now, so that might be worth looking into.

Regardless of my poking fun, I can recommend Dominic at TVandNav2Go, he did it fast/same day and shipped it back fast too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio