Setting tire size and gear ratio with both AlphaOBD and Edge Pulsar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heckcat9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Couldn't find a definitive answer in previous threads so I'm bombarding you all with some questions now.

How does setting tire size with AlphaOBD work when an Edge Pulsar is installed? Should I set the tires using AlphaOBD and leave the Pulsar be?

The Pulsar is basically a man in the middle attack between my PCM and the truck, yeah? If I change the tire size in AlphaOBD, will the Pulsar see that change?

OP
OP
heckcat9

heckcat9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Took me a while as the orignal Pulsar tuner I got was throwing some cylinder 6 error codes. Got a new unit from Edge/Holley and it all works now.

As far as setting tire size, it can be done in the Pulsar or in AlphaOBD, but NOT both. I chose AlphaOBD as it allows you to set the precise tire size (circumference) down to the millimeter. The Pulsar does not read the tire size it seems.

Overall the Pulsar is pretty decent, the perfomance mode makes a noticeable difference in power, even with my 37s, and feels faster than the factory tune on 33s did. The MDS off modes are quite nice as well, saves me the conscious effort of shifting into (-8+) every time I put the truck into gear.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did mine with my Pulsar rather than AlphaOBD but mainly just because AlphaOBD scares me and I have put my truck into some crazy limp modes using it. Last time I tried tires with it, it would work the first time. So I'd go out with my speedometer app and be off slightly and I wanted to tweak a bit more. So do it again, and boom dash lights everywhere, truck barely runs, no power steering, etc. I was always able to get it back by letting it sit or disconnecting the battery. But still annoying.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
austmurr