Several Minor Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
I'm just sorta making a list here. have a few things since 2nd Gen is new to me.
1) emergency brake: how do you adjust it? just no holding power and pedal just springs back up instead of locking

2) obd-I reader - where can you get one or is there a new one with obd-I capability? I believe the 1996 still is obd-I. getting a 43 code by flashing the check engine light.

3) temp gauge not working. it was working but reading low for what should be normal operating temperature. where is the sensor located?

4) fuel gauge not working. reads empty of course. I Iget 12-13.9 mpg depending on driving hwy or city. using trip meter to determine miles driven to keep from running out.

l appreciate any input in advance.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
E-brake springing up could be up under the dash possibly. I think the adjustment is about halfway back between the rocker panel and frame rail, might also be one back at the rear wheel. Factory Service Manual would know better (I haven't looked) and that can be downloaded from the DIY section.

96 is obd2. You should see the port under the steering column on the right.

For the temp gauge, you'll have 2 sensors. Both are on the front of the intake manifold, behind the ac/alternator and next to the thermostat. One sensor has 2 wires, this sensor is where the PCM gets its signal. The 2nd sensor uses 1 wire, this one is the gauge. After 97 they went to a single sensor with both functions.

Fuel gauge you'll need to replace the pump assembly, that's where the float is.

OP
OP
rrb6699

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
well then if OBD-II then the obd reader i initially put on it wasn't getting power. so how to get power back at that port. will disconnect of battery and hooking pos to neg reset the codes? the ecm? or anything else?

not easy to access the trump senders.

the ebrake might work then if i just adjust it?

forgot--cruise control doesn't engage but led on the button lights up when i try it.

just found the shop manual. I'll start looking thru it.

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Don't cheap out on the fuel pump. I've seen lots of people say they bought something like Spectra or Airtex then complaining about it dying 6 months to a year later.

Cruise control could be a vacuum issue. Your cruise control module/actuator is under your battery. You will see a vacuum line run down to the driver side just underneath the battery tray behind the headlight. Then again it could also be that module/actuator.

Reactions: Mop
OP
OP
rrb6699

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
yea haven't figured out the cruise control yet. replaced all vacuum lines where they converge on the passenger side of the engine. took the battery & tray out & made sure there were no line issues there. can u tell if the actuator is bad somehow? how often do they fail? maybe it's the switches on the steering wheel. but I cannot find a video or procedure to remove the steering wheel.

i figured 13mpg avg after 4 fillups. 17 on the highway, so, i fill up at 300mi or less on the trip odometer. - will hold off on the fuel assembly.

temp sensor with one wire looks like a pain to replace.

ebrake has way too much slack. need to tighten that up to see if the pedal clicks and holds.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
If you aren't getting power on the obd2 port check the fuses for the cigarette lighter, usually that's what the 12v rail for the obd2 is tapped off of, but I dont remember if that's true in the 96.the fsm will have the wiring diagrams. Also make sure the pins in the reader aren't bent, I've had that happen before.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
rrb6699

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
thanks, I'll check the pins on the plug.

another possible issue:
I hear hissing coming from my steering near the ignition key area of the column near as can tell. may have been leaking all along but, not more audible.. what could hiss there? cruise control vacuum? something else. the cruise control has never worked (engaged) even though the light comes on when i turn it on.

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The only vacuum line that runs to the cruise control is the one that runs from the intake manifold. AFAIK.

Are your brakes stiff first thing in the morning before starting the truck? If so it could be the diaphragm in the brake booster.

If not do your vents all work correctly?

Brake booster is fairly easy to tell. Just start the truck and stick your head under the dash and listen for hissing near your brake peddle. If it's closer to the center of the truck under the dash then it is likely a dash vent actuator or vacuum line.

OP
OP
rrb6699

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
I didnt really try to pin point it but seemed like it was near the ignition key. the hiss lasts a few seconds after I shut off then stops.

today didn't notice it and it may be bcause i ran the a/c. what vacuum line would i need to trace for the vents.? The reason I'm asking is when I accelerate whether the AC is on or not, air stops blowing in the vents. When I let off the gas I hear a vent door close and the air starts blowing again. It's sort of sounds like it pops shut and then I have blowing air again.
what vacuum line controls that and how do i find it in the cab?

maybe the cause.

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
There one black vacuum line that runs into the cab from the passenger side of the engine. That feeds the control panel for the climate controls. Those commonly brake on the engine side of the firewall and the check valve that sits there disappears. That check valve is what is supposed to keep the vents from going wild when you accelerate. If you look under the hood and still see it there then it's possible there is a vacuum leak in your climate control lines somewhere.

The black vacuum line runs from the engine to inside the cab to the back of the climate control panel. Then from there a bunch of vacuum lines run to various actuators under the dash that open and close vents.

OP
OP
rrb6699

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
what does the check valve look like? I may take a pic of the vacuum lines and post them. perhaps one deteriorated or came loose but where?

how accessible is that vacuum control junction

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Sorry, I misunderstood this bit. So it turns out there isn't a check valve there from the factory, but people are putting one there as a fix for the wild vents. Mine was broken where people say to install one so I thought mine fell off. Here is what I found though.

NCUqeQl.gif

^ This is how people are fixing the wild vent issues. I believe you can get something to fix it at your local auto parts store.

I found more info... Here is a TSB.

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1996/24-01-96a.htm

Parts:

1 04677204 Check Valve
AR NPN Appropriate Size Vacuum Hose

Mop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
what does the check valve look like? I may take a pic of the vacuum lines and post them. perhaps one deteriorated or came loose but where?

how accessible is that vacuum control junction

I had the vent problem in my '99. The vacuum line is plastic, and cracks. Mine cracked right near the check valve. It might not necessarily be the check valve that's bad, but it doesn't hurt to check or change it, also.

I unscrewed the climate control module off the dash, and ran this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Perfo...ck/301786069241?hash=item4643d9f8f9:rk:1:pf:0

3mm vacuum line from the point of broken line near the check valve, through the firewall, and fed it to the BLACK line behind the climate control. The BLACK is not a wire, it's a vacuum line. Razor cut it with slack, squeeze the end of the new rubber line into it, and it should work fine, without cracking again.

Mop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
black line

20170917_0645581.jpg

Mop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check valve and vac line

20171211_160250.jpg

OP
OP
rrb6699

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
ok will look into that.

I have another issue. the transmission whines pretty loud. someone told me it's typical of these trucks. any input? seems to run well. whine only occurs when coasting and I give it light gas.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
You sure it's the trans? Whining when coasting could be u-joints or diff.

Reactions: Mop

Mop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ok will look into that.

I have another issue. the transmission whines pretty loud. someone told me it's typical of these trucks. any input? seems to run well. whine only occurs when coasting and I give it light gas.

How is it shifting? Is your fluid at the right level? Yes, it could also be the differentials. My '99 has never whined, so it could be something in the above mentioned.

OP
OP
rrb6699

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
I had planned to change the differential fluid very soon actually next on my list. Will update after I change it. Thanks.