Sharing my gas tank experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davidloveshishemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Hemi, went to get gas a couple of weeks ago, wouldn't fill. Called around and all but one dealership was going to take 5 weeks just to look at it. Took it to the dealership where I bought it, two weeks to look at it. In two weeks they called and said the vent is the issue needs a new gas tank. Took a day and a half to get extended warranty approved a couple of days to ship and a day and a half to get it installed. So about three weeks to get it back to me when other dealerships wouldn't have looked at it yet.

I read on several forums where this gas tank thing is a common issue and the tanks are on their third redesign. It's one of those deals where you go who knew that was a thing? So I drove home today, filled it up, it's good to go. Oh, they also put the gas from my old tank into the new one and saved me some money.

The main reasons i am sharing this story is 1) If you have any newer Ram regardless of the miles it could be an issue, I have 17000 on mine. 2) People like to rip dealerships and extended warranty companies but from my experience everything worked as it should. Issue identified, warranty covered, part ordered and installed, truck back in my possession.

Huge Thank You to Jason the Service Advisor for taking care of everything for me and doing exactly what he said he would do. That is rare and should be commended!

Average_gatsby45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins diesel.
17 ram 2500
i had a front hub start to go out, and dealership said a long time line.
I took it to a diesel shop, and they were able to get the parts and install in 2 days.
I went by a week prior, and we did something like a preauth for the work and parts.
So start to finish was a week? With me being in self paid rental for 2 days.

CrasherAsher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have been dealing with this gas tank issue for years and dam it sucks. I bought my truck private party so no warranty. I got it quoted once it was close to 3k to get it fixed. the tank alone is something like $800. so I decided I get to live it with it. it fills just takes about 4x times longer.

Juice17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I let mine get below 1/4 tank the pump constantly kicks off. Need to stand outside and hold it. I just don't go below 1/4 tank anymore. We are full serve only in n.j. the attendants won't stand and hold nozzle.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just wait till the filler neck cracks, like mine did, 3 times?
No new replacements either for an 03.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been dealing with this gas tank issue for years and dam it sucks. I bought my truck private party so no warranty. I got it quoted once it was close to 3k to get it fixed. the tank alone is something like $800. so I decided I get to live it with it. it fills just takes about 4x times longer.
Try here

jimmyfjk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
i have a 2021 rebel and have the gas filling issue where the pump constantly turns off due to back pressure making it think the tank is full. I talked to the dealer where i bought it and they explained about the issue and what is required to get it fixed. I said screw that. I found that if i move the handle of the pump towards the rear of the truck while filling up it does not trip off. Problem soleved the easy way.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I know that in the years around 2009, not many people were having issues.
THEN for some reason, gas stations were converting a different style nozzle.
I forget whether they put more curve in nozzle, or straightened it out, but it changed the position of the valve that triggered the kick off valve.

Ram came out with a different Fill Tube

1667878982098.png
old style is on the left, the vent tube position was raised up in the newer fill tube

1667879070397.png

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
i have a 2021 rebel and have the gas filling issue where the pump constantly turns off due to back pressure making it think the tank is full. I talked to the dealer where i bought it and they explained about the issue and what is required to get it fixed. I said screw that. I found that if i move the handle of the pump towards the rear of the truck while filling up it does not trip off. Problem soleved the easy way.
It's only going to get worse, I know from experience lol .... sucks but it can also get a little better if you don't top off at the pump ....

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I know that in the years around 2009, not many people were having issues.
THEN for some reason, gas stations were converting a different style nozzle.
I forget whether they put more curve in nozzle, or straightened it out, but it changed the position of the valve that triggered the kick off valve.

Ram came out with a different Fill Tube

View attachment 506335
old style is on the left, the vent tube position was raised up in the newer fill tube

View attachment 506336
They replaced mine with the new one and that didn't help ... the problem "IS" the style of pumps we have out here in california now ... out in Arizona I didn't have that issue at any of the gas stations I filled up at ....here in California all of them, but it's gotten better

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Kind of bummed out the OP posted a positive experience. I was looking for a dealership ****show. ;)