Shark fin xm antenna

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Holtzy25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT Engine
Has anyone destroyed the shark fin antenna on their truck yet? I did a week ago and I’m having the worst luck trying to find a replacement for it. Maybe I’m just not looking up the right “wording” for the antenna but I’m clueless! Any help would be appreciated as I have 33+ electrical tape trying to keep the inside of the antenna dry. It’s a 2019 1500 big horn

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How bout a link? Does it look like your unit looks? I believe the "style" changed with the 2019 and the antenna took on more of a "Aircraft Blade Antenna" look as compared to my 2018 Sports "Shark Fin" look. My antenna is pictured below:

The part number I get for you 2019 RAM Big Horn, is found under the "Navigation" heading in the Mopar parts system web sites, that number is : 68366538AA

A link to a parts diagram and exploded (sort of) view is below:

https://www.myoemmoparparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-cable-and-base-assembly-antenna-68366538aa

As Benny states, a good parts guy and a VIN# will confirm the correct number. There are lots of these antenna's out there in Mopar use across many model types and years of course. I'd be sure to double check and confirm the number to ensure the unit matches the roof line of the vehicle. They may look the same but if the roof contour is not correct you may wrinkle sheet metal if you tighten it down with the wrong contour base.

HTH,

T.

2018RAMSportSharkFin.jpg

237ee540547deef4749d947e12e00209.png

Last edited:

Marcm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
View media item 28343Hi, yesterday I cracked my shark fin on my 2019 Rebel. I ordered the exact part you just suggested. As far as instalation goes, do you think I'm able to replace it by going through the third light in the back? I took a video of it and I see a bolt that's holding the existing fin in place. If I can unscrew the bolt, can I simply replace the fin while keeping the existing wire? Would the wire need to be soldered into the other fin? I don't want to pull the fin out until the replacement comes in to have a look at the wiring. Also, it's covered in duct tape right now.

AllMoparParts.com

- Benny
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
All
Engine
All
Possibly but as per the service manual (attached) only the rear section of the headliner needs to be dropped and the connector is nearby. Probably worth doing it the right way to ensure no future issues

-Benny

Attachments

• antenna removal.pdf
    144.7 KB · Views: 65

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2013 has the shark fin antenna mounted towards the front, so I had to pull the headliner. There is a "pigtail" with a plug at the end of it. You just need to unplug the old and plug in the new. There was not that much slack in the wire coming up to it, and it was kind of a PIA to do. If you can gain access to yours by going in through the 3rd break light would be great, especially if you can reach the connector. I would not cut and solder the wire since it is antenna coax.

Marcm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks!! Do you have the manual to drop the rear headliner?

AllMoparParts.com

- Benny
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
All
Engine
All
Yes and No, When I follow the link to dropping the Rear it shows how to drop the whole thing but maybe the attached steps will help you work from the back and only remove what you need to in order to gain access.

-Benny

Attachments

• headliner.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 65

Marcm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi again, the links in the file you attached link to a site to which I don't have access. Is it just the coat hooks that have screws I have to remove in order to be able to lower the rear of the headliner?

AllMoparParts.com

- Benny
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
All
Engine
All
Hi, Thats correct I sent the PDF to give you a general rundown, The links are not accessible.

I believe you will also need to remove the screws under the air bag covers shown in step 14

-Benny

Marcm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi guys! Thanks again for all your help. I'm not a mechanic in the least, but I got it done today! When lowering the rear headliner, I found it easier to work from inside the box through the small window in the back. Either way, I'll be avoiding parking structures moving forward lol! After changing the antenna, the menu was strange. My background is normally red but it was blue. My Sirius was gone but it said I was subscribed. Anyway, it fixed itself within a few minutes. It must have had to download updated firmware for the antenna because XM reappeared after turning the radio off and on. All is back to normal and everything is working.

Jd2894

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi Marcm I am attempting the same repair on a 2019 5th generation 1500. When you removed the C pillars was there a screw at the top? If so, after that is removed did the C pillar covers just pull off? Thanks JD

Macfolk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi guys! Thanks again for all your help. I'm not a mechanic in the least, but I got it done today! When lowering the rear headliner, I found it easier to work from inside the box through the small window in the back. Either way, I'll be avoiding parking structures moving forward lol! After changing the antenna, the menu was strange. My background is normally red but it was blue. My Sirius was gone but it said I was subscribed. Anyway, it fixed itself within a few minutes. It must have had to download updated firmware for the antenna because XM reappeared after turning the radio off and on. All is back to normal and everything is working.

Hey, I have a '17 RAM and am planning to change the antenna to avoid issues. Where id you source yours? Thanks!