Shift knob! Anyone make custom or different texture shift knobs ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The man does have a point, tho. It’s funny how people blame that knob instead of themselves. I mean sure, not liking something for whatever reason is one’s own prerogative but still, you can only blame yourself if that length of time had gone buy and you’re still reaching for any other knob rather than the shifter knob that’s so conveniently located right directly in front of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Some people just always need something to complain about..... that's just the world we live in today. My favorite is that everything is a "safety issue", like I think it's a "safety issue" cuz my cup holders don't have led's in them.... I could spill my nightly coffee and burn my junk!!!

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It’s funny how people blame that knob instead of themselves.

In any industry, medical, aviation, or others, there is constant reevaluate of system designs to see if a design is more likely to cause errors. This to me is a system design issue.

We can work our way around the design flaw, by either memorizing the position, or using visual cues. But, if something does not become second nature, in the event of an emergency (i.e. rapid u-turns with oncoming traffic, offroading,...) it can actually be the cause of an accident.

If the dial was between the seats, as it is in many other Euro vehicles with dial shifters, the location itself would cure this issue.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Everybody should be reading their manuals..... especially on today’s vehicles with as complicated as they are anymore.

Except that they're so maintenance-free, or "plug and play" now. Plus they had a guy at my dealer whose only job is to show you all the basics before you leave the lot. Where the jack is, how to program the bluetooth etc. Seems to me this should be on that list ("just in case you need it, under this panel is where the park override is"). That said, you're right, but most folks don't read manuals unless they really have to. In fact many items don't even come with manuals these days.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Except that they're so maintenance-free, or "plug and play" now. Plus they had a guy at my dealer whose only job is to show you all the basics before you leave the lot. Where the jack is, how to program the bluetooth etc. Seems to me this should be on that list ("just in case you need it, under this panel is where the park override is"). That said, you're right, but most folks don't read manuals unless they really have to. In fact many items don't even come with manuals these days.

I bet you if we put it on Facebook or Tweeter, everyone in the world would know where it is and how it works.... cuz you know, if it ain't on Facebook we don't need to know it..... Hahahaha!!!

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In any industry, medical, aviation, or others, there is constant reevaluate of system designs to see if a design is more likely to cause errors. This to me is a system design issue.

We can work our way around the design flaw, by either memorizing the position, or using visual cues. But, if something does not become second nature, in the event of an emergency (i.e. rapid u-turns with oncoming traffic, offroading,...) it can actually be the cause of an accident.

If the dial was between the seats, as it is in many other Euro vehicles with dial shifters, the location itself would cure this issue.

That’s why we adapt. But you’re right, customer feedback will probably cause that knob to end up in other places that other people may not like, then it’s going to be circling battle to try and please everyone. You can’t make everybody happy. My cousins wife has a Phord Fusion with a dial shifter that’s located on the console in about the same place you’re talking about as on them “euro” cars and quite frankly, I despise that as much as sliding stick shift that’s on the console and didn’t much care for it. All that wasted space.

But yeah, like you said- it could be blamed in an accident but still, you could still get used to it. And if your not, if it’s just that too much for ya then maybe it’s time to explore other options since the two of you aren’t getting along.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I can’t imagine what new vehicle these days wouldn’t come with an owners manual in it but still, just because some dude went over the basics with someone at the time of buying it isn’t an excuse to never crack open your manual and never read about all the many many things he didn’t go over.

Last edited:

UnsatFC

Active duty NAVY
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the 6 speed so no knob however I do have the 4x4 knob...are they the same size as the 8 speed knob?

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the 6 speed so no knob however I do have the 4x4 knob...are they the same size as the 8 speed knob?

Well judging by a 2014 model with the console shifter, it looks as though the dial shifter is in the same exact spot as the 8-speed dial but the 4x4 knob in the older trucks looks to be about the same size as the rest of the knobs. The trans knob is definitely larger.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Imagine if your shift knob and your radio volume knob were that close and about the same texture.... that's what the 2019's have..... I hope I learn the difference soon!View attachment 155163

Just think of it this way; don’t reach so far for the wrong knob. The correct knob is right there in front of you.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I bet you if we put it on Facebook or Tweeter, everyone in the world would know where it is and how it works.... cuz you know, if it ain't on Facebook we don't need to know it..... Hahahaha!!!

If it wason Fa
I can’t imagine what new vehicle these days wouldn’t come with an owners manual in it but still, just because some dude went over the basics with someone at the time of buying it isn’t an excuse to never crack open your manual and never read about all the many many things he didn’t go over.

What I said was many items do not come with owners manuals anymore, and I suspect a lot of people never bother to crack one open. I did go through it, just skimmed over it, when I got the truck but I didn’t notice that particular item.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Just think of it this way; don’t reach so far for the wrong knob. The correct knob is right there in front of you.

Problem is when you’re looking at the road and traffic, and just reaching it’s very easy to miss that knob and go to the heater or the radio. Your column shifter was right there, it was just second nature to grab it and go into reverse and go back to drive, and it had a stop so you wouldn’t go too far into park uness you pulled up on it.

Like I said before that’s the one improvement I’d like to see. The knob should have is a stop at park so you have to either push it in or pull out to continue to park. That way if you doing a quick U-turn with traffic coming you can quickly slam it into reverse and back into drive without breaking the transmission by hitting park when the truck is rolling.

reyn3545

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Thanks, I'll try to remember that.

HONESTLY... people are conditioned from early in their driving lives to find certain things in certain places. Shifter devices were historically on the column or on the floor. Moving it to a rotary dial on the dash puts the shifter where you normally reach for creature comforts. Yes, its right in front of me. Yes, its bigger than the radio knob. But, as mentioned earlier, when your focus is OUTSIDE of the truck, you are more likely to grab the wrong knob. Have I done it? Yes. Am I alone? No.

msully725

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fun thread.

@Tino lopez did you ever find a replacement shift dial that's easier to identify by touch?

The metal one that higher trims get seems like it could work, I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. Had my Ram for 3 years, still occasionally grab for wrong dial under certain conditions. Hoping the metal one helps.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fun thread.

@Tino lopez did you ever find a replacement shift dial that's easier to identify by touch?

The metal one that higher trims get seems like it could work, I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. Had my Ram for 3 years, still occasionally grab for wrong dial under certain conditions. Hoping the metal one helps.

I wouldn’t say the one I have in my Limited is metal(I dunno, maybe it is), but I do like that mine is a different color and different feel than the other knobs. But then again I can’t say yea or nay as to whether or not that’s why I’ve taken to mine so well.

OP
OP
Tino lopez

Tino lopez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Nope didnt get one yet ! I like the higher trim option idea. Let me know if you find place to buy one
Fun thread.

bdc2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Take it off and dimple it with a soldering gun

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got bored. They look silly, but then again so is the original.

The stove knob was all plastic so it stripped, the aluminum knob needs a set screw. I had an old Bakelite radio knob but broke when I was trying to broach it.67b886f9623f2c89d223f4ee4cda5c24.jpg9da9269f16958c0e8cbe850ea112864d.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Last edited: