Shift knob! Anyone make custom or different texture shift knobs ???

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Tino lopez, Feb 8, 2019.

1. corneileous

corneileous Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Just think of it this way; don’t reach so far for the wrong knob. The correct knob is right there in front of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Black W900 likes this.
  2. tap4154

tap4154 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.6 V6
    If it wason Fa
    What I said was many items do not come with owners manuals anymore, and I suspect a lot of people never bother to crack one open. I did go through it, just skimmed over it, when I got the truck but I didn’t notice that particular item.

3. tap4154

tap4154 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.6 V6
    Problem is when you’re looking at the road and traffic, and just reaching it’s very easy to miss that knob and go to the heater or the radio. Your column shifter was right there, it was just second nature to grab it and go into reverse and go back to drive, and it had a stop so you wouldn’t go too far into park uness you pulled up on it.

Like I said before that’s the one improvement I’d like to see. The knob should have is a stop at park so you have to either push it in or pull out to continue to park. That way if you doing a quick U-turn with traffic coming you can quickly slam it into reverse and back into drive without breaking the transmission by hitting park when the truck is rolling.

4. reyn3545

reyn3545 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Thanks, I'll try to remember that.

HONESTLY... people are conditioned from early in their driving lives to find certain things in certain places. Shifter devices were historically on the column or on the floor. Moving it to a rotary dial on the dash puts the shifter where you normally reach for creature comforts. Yes, its right in front of me. Yes, its bigger than the radio knob. But, as mentioned earlier, when your focus is OUTSIDE of the truck, you are more likely to grab the wrong knob. Have I done it? Yes. Am I alone? No.

corneileous likes this.
  5. msully725

msully725 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Fun thread.

@Tino lopez did you ever find a replacement shift dial that's easier to identify by touch?

The metal one that higher trims get seems like it could work, I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. Had my Ram for 3 years, still occasionally grab for wrong dial under certain conditions. Hoping the metal one helps.

6. corneileous

corneileous Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I wouldn’t say the one I have in my Limited is metal(I dunno, maybe it is), but I do like that mine is a different color and different feel than the other knobs. But then again I can’t say yea or nay as to whether or not that’s why I’ve taken to mine so well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro