Shock Absorbers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L SRT8 HEMI
Anybody have any preferences as to what shocks they like for an OEM upgrade?
It's time to replace 'em. No height adjustments--I like it right where it is.

KenR 955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have an answer, but I am going to be replacing mine soon. Bilsteins are the go to for my 2nd Gen, 2dw diesel truck, but for a 1500 gasser, I'm not sure.

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am sorry but why are you changing the shock. Are they worn out.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'm a Bilstein fanboy - their design, quality, and ride has made me, a mechanical engineer, a loyal customer.

They last longer, damp better, than any other shock I've tried. Some are a fan of Fox - my review of their offerings is more for offroad niche. Yeah, offroad is a substantive niche, but not the overwhelming onroad population.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Depends on your style, if you like a firm ride or gushy ride, whether you like the adjustment or not bills leveling shocks are a nice firm ride, different from bills HD which are very firm, another option not discussed much are KYB which I like as much as my billstiens, if you want a soft ride I can't be much help as I have extensive experience with those two and rancho for a firm ride, but I never chased a soft ride. Rancho's and Bills HD I did not prefer, no rebound, firm but the shocks seam to be a flat feel whereas I much prefer bills 5100 series or KYB.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
@Burla - please say more about difference between Bilstein HD & 5100, if you get time.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I too vote billstiens. That is all that has ever been on my truck. I love the ride of them. KYB does make a good shock. I ran them on several of my muscle cars over the years.

OP
OP
theblackduck87
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L SRT8 HEMI
Thanks. I am sorry. How many miles do you have on them
90K. Brakes are due, the ride is getting a little harder to control, excessive movement compared to how it was When I got it.
SO....Since I'll Have the wheels off replacing brakes, I'm going to do the shocks while I'm in there.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
@Burla - please say more about difference between Bilstein HD & 5100, if you get time.

My experience only, the ride was so rough and flat on bills HD I had to remove them from my Bronco and get kyb's which were more bouncy/firm, which were perfect. I had the same experience with general use rancho shocks as bills HD. For whatever reason for me bills 5100's are as perfect as kyb's, some people say bills HD = 5100 series, but that was not my experience. For me bills 5100 series and kyb would be firm but also would push up on the truck, whereas bill's HD and Rancho's would just hit hard in any type of dip and feel like it left you in the dip, only way I can explain it = flat. I had to remove both bills hd and rancho's, could not drive on them, and the other two were both the best shocks I had for those applications, still use 5100 series on my ram and I am happy even with a heavy bumper.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Thanks - will go research differences. Been using HD exclusively, but I have HD truck and Class 4 RV, so not same as on LD trucks and cars.

OK - Bilstein website not very helpful, no compare data. 4600 (HD) targeted to trucks on or off road, no lifts. 5100 targeted to off road and lifts.

I guess that means 5100 is damped softer, but there's no data or descriptions of ride. My 2500 came with off road package and 4600, which is also what I have on RV. The higher damping rate handles rolling dips better, but are very harsh over rocks and potholes.

If 5100 is softer, then that explains why they soak up harsh road conditions - rocks and potholes, but would wallow over rolling dips. when Bilstein talks about "improved control" or "sporty handling", they mean higher damping rate. Which was esp. useful in the RV - no longer wallows side to side or over dips.

My HD truck on the other hand, can knock yer teeth out over potholes unloaded with tires aired up fully (like Feds make OEM software do). I could upfit with controlled airbags, but lotsa moola and time to do it right w/o winter moisture freezeup.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
90K. Brakes are due, the ride is getting a little harder to control, excessive movement compared to how it was When I got it.
SO....Since I'll Have the wheels off replacing brakes, I'm going to do the shocks while I'm in there.

90k on oem shocks, lol? way over due, I think most guys say 25k on oem.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thanks - will go research differences. Been using HD exclusively, but I have HD truck and Class 4 RV, so not same as on LD trucks and cars.

The heavier you are the better those HD's will feel imo. The more the weight, the firmness will be needed. I might even consider HD's with that kind of weight.

Something I considered later, is the bronco has 4 front shocks, maybe that effects my experience. However, despite that the kyb's were great, and 5100 series on other f bodies also great.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got like 70k out of mine. Im at almost 70k again and my bilsteins are still good.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The heavier you are the better those HD's will feel imo. The more the weight, the firmness will be needed. I might even consider HD's with that kind of weight.

Something I considered later, is the bronco has 4 front shocks, maybe that effects my experience. However, despite that the kyb's were great, and 5100 series on other f bodies also great.

Right - see my update above. Bronco ain't that big - I'd wager the 4600 (HD) made it ride like a brick.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
113k on mine. Guess I am a bit overdue....

Maybe you have an exception set of shocks right there, but normal is likely a lot less.

Normal Lifespan
According to the website Basic Car Repair, "shock absorber life depends primarily on the roads over which you drive." They might fail almost immediately, at say 5,000 miles, or might last well into the 60,000 to 80,000 mile range. The average manufacturer suggested replacement time is between 20,000 and 30,000 miles.

One of the times I changed my shocks I thought they were fine, but when the mechanic who took them off pushed them down, they stayed down, lol. Sometimes how the feel, might not be the state of the shock doing it's full function.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I have 5100s on my 4 wheel crew cab and 5125s on my RWD RCSB.

The 5100s are awesome for the 4x4, they are at stock height. I pull a tandem 7x14 loaded with up to 3, 900 lb Harleys and they respond very well.

The 5125s on my RCSB, really changed the ride. It's almost car like now, very plush. Until you get to higher speeds then they firm up quickly.

The 5125s are not spec ed for the ram, so you do have to modify the mounting hardware to get them to bolt on.