Shock recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Terry Sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I'm looking for shock recommendations to improve the ride of my RAM 2500. I have a 2020 Big Horn Hemi (6.4L) with the 4x4 package, including the factory Bilstein shocks. Tows great, but is very stiff (I know...it's a HD truck) when unloaded. Any good ideas for replacement shocks that would soften the ride a bit without compromising safety?

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
The best way to soften the ride is to add a rear sway bar like the Bigwig from Hellwig. Shocks are actually spring dampeners and minimize the movement of the springs when a wheel hits a bump in the road. The Brits call them dampeners which is much more accurate. Unless the shocks are shot there is no gain with replacing them.

There is one situation that is different. I had a truck that I would use to haul a 3700 lb slide in camper. I bought the adjustable Rancho XL shocks so the rear shocks could be at at a higher setting when the camper was in the bed. With the Rancho shock's dial I could adjust the front shocks to be stiff enough to prevent porpoising with the camper in the bed.