Shocks for the Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Webracin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hi All,

New to this forum and this brand of truck. About 3 weeks ago I traded my 2018 GMC Denali HD for the 2019 Ram 2500 Limited. I love the truck, but have a question about shocks. One thing I have noticed is the ride quality is good, but its not as good as the Denali, and this is really noticeable when towing.

Towing the same trailer, the Denali, you hardly knew it was there, but on the Ram, its a bit rough. Could it be the shock package? Can you smooth out the ride with a Fox shock package, or Rancho shock package? Any ideas would be great!

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
GM trucks ride better than all others when comparing apples to apples. totally different suspension setup, especially in the front.

Shocks will help. I would also consider swapping out the front springs too.

How often do you tow and how heavy?

OP
OP
Webracin

Webracin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Through the summer about every other weekend, but not far....about 20 miles. 2 times a year we take a weeks vacation a d typically its about 1200 miles each. Moat times its just a daily driver to work.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
One thing I have noticed is the ride quality is good, but its not as good as the Denali, and this is really noticeable when towing.

Towing the same trailer, the Denali, you hardly knew it was there, but on the Ram, its a bit rough. Could it be the shock package?
Your Denali had independent front suspension, your Ram has a solid front axle. An independent front suspension will always ride better than a solid axle, you can try shocks but it's more or less the nature of the suspension design.
If you notice it more while towing, you want to check how the weight is distributed on the truck/trailer. If you tow a tag along, you'll want to check your WDH by running the truck over a set of scales.

Last edited:

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
The coil springs at the rear on the Ram are meant for comfort and not for handling a payload as with the leaf springs on your GM truck. Much easier to "tune' a pack of leaf springs then to do this with a single coil spring.

For towing a trailer or a heavy payload on a regular basis I would never go with rear coil springs which is why my vehicle for towing is a Chevy 2500HD. I towed a 13,000 lb boat load and the ride was as smooth as with no trailer at all. Truck with its double leaf SuperSprings also handles a 4,000 lb. load in the bed with no sagging at the rear whatsoever.

But for gas I want the larger gas tanks available with Ram, Ford, and Toyota 1500 class pickups.

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Fox will smooth it out some, it’s still a heavy duty though....

OP
OP
Webracin

Webracin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks for the replies! This is all good food for thought. Guess it wont matter much when I trade the TT for a 5th wheel!