Shocks on Stock Truck for towing.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Hemi 4X4 3.92 Totally Stock Suspension. I tow a Travel Trailer about 6500 loaded. With an Equal-I-Zer hitch. Tows great. No Sway. No issues except when crossing big dips in the road. As in before and after small bridges. Really bad about that here in SC. The truck and trailer will "porpoise" pretty good for about 2 cycles. Not scary, but I want to try to alleviate that but not ruin the great ride when driving empty. The "war department" will go on the war path if I ruin the great ride. :Big Laugh:

I will not consider air bags or Timbrens and the like.. Looking at Bilstein or Rancho adjustable shocks for the rear. Any other recommendations for shocks or ideas?

Thanks

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
you can try shocks but they probably won't help, you could try rearranging how the truck/trailer is loaded but it may affect drivability. Get the tongue weight 10%-12% at most if you can and return all the weight to the front wheels(lost from unloaded).
If you want to control the porpoising consider air bags, they won't affect the ride when unloaded and there's 5 psi in them. Coils ride nice because they're sorta soft on compression, but that makes them.bounce more. Airbags will give you firmness when towing.

OP
OP
2019RamInSC

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you can try shocks but they probably won't help, you could try rearranging how the truck/trailer is loaded but it may affect drivability. Get the tongue weight 10%-12% at most if you can and return all the weight to the front wheels(lost from unloaded).
If you want to control the porpoising consider air bags, they won't affect the ride when unloaded and there's 5 psi in them. Coils ride nice because they're sorta soft on compression, but that makes them.bounce more. Airbags will give you firmness when towing.
My tongue weight is at 11%. For a variety of reasons I will not consider air bags as I mentioned. Thanks for the reply and information.

Last edited:

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
my 28' travel trailer is about 6000#. I changed out the sway bar and added airbags. 12# in them stiffens up the ride. my laramie has the off road package so there may be a few items in that package that help, but the truck does pretty well towing. I stay under 70 at 68-69. a set of airbags is not very expensive and not very difficult to install. I also run a few more # in the rear tires when towing to make them a little stiffer.

Last edited:

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
On my last two 1500's I added AirLift 1000 bags to the rear coil springs. Eliminated the porpoising. Hook up trailer and WDH, add 25-30 PSI to each bag, done deal. Used a bike tire pump to air them up. They don't take much air. like 10 pumps per bag.

I also added a Helwig rear sway bar. Set on second position for normal driving, third position for towing.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I put the Bilstiens on mine.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Here's some food for thought, what type of suspension is on the trailer itself? Does it have the standard axle equalizer in the middle? Might want to consider looking into that too. If you are towing a tandem axle trailer, while one axle is going over the bump/dip the other axle is reacting by either going up and down at the same time causing either chucking or porpoising....might look into shock absorbing equalizer for the tandems axles. It may or may not help out with what you are describing. I really liked the Timber Grove ASAMs I had on my 1500. Helped a lot with the porpoising when hitting bumps or dips.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
Thinking about replacing the equalizer on the camper suspension with a Road Armor one just to make everything smoothed out.

OP
OP
2019RamInSC

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's some food for thought, what type of suspension is on the trailer itself? Does it have the standard axle equalizer in the middle? Might want to consider looking into that too. If you are towing a tandem axle trailer, while one axle is going over the bump/dip the other axle is reacting by either going up and down at the same time causing either chucking or porpoising....might look into shock absorbing equalizer for the tandems axles. It may or may not help out with what you are describing. I really liked the Timber Grove ASAMs I had on my 1500. Helped a lot with the porpoising when hitting bumps or dips.

I hear you. The trailer does have an upgraded Equalizer. I forget which one. I do plan on doing more to the trailer suspension after I am done with the Ram. I would like tp go with shocks for the trailer. We shall see,

OP
OP
2019RamInSC

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my last two 1500's I added AirLift 1000 bags to the rear coil springs. Eliminated the porpoising. Hook up trailer and WDH, add 25-30 PSI to each bag, done deal. Used a bike tire pump to air them up. They don't take much air. like 10 pumps per bag.

I also added a Helwig rear sway bar. Set on second position for normal driving, third position for towing.

Did not know "sway bars" came in adjustable? Cool. Will check that out.

OP
OP
2019RamInSC

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Shocks are exactly what is needed to control suspension rebound, you don’t need more load capacity. I have used the Rancho with the adjustable clicker for this situation and they worked well.
Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
2019RamInSC

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
Finding out the axle diameter would be first and foremost. I want to put a Road Armor equalizer on mine just to make it that much better, don't know if I'd go all out with a shock kit though, thought about it, but I don't think the return would make it worth it. The Road Armor equalizer is pricey enough.