Short circuit TIPM / Cluster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danteb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Made a huge mistake on my Cummins 6.7 2008 the other day when i was searching cause of my fast blinkers.
Got the bright idea to plusfeed the kabels in the multifunction lever to see which kabel goes to each side blinkers, happend to feed +/- and out goes the instrument cluster. ( think it was the third kabel from the left on the contact that goes in on the lever).

What could I've possibly destroyed? My vote goes for either the TIPM itself or just the cluster.

Equipment not working:

Blinkers, wipers, cruise, hazardlights, fuel level, parking lights, high beams, backup lights, Tow/haul. The only thing working in the instrument cluster is Speed, RPM, Coolant temp, Oil temp and Voltage.

Probably missed out something but thats all as far as i know, everything else works.
Stereo, locks, windows etc and the car runs fine.

Sorry for bit of bad english, Im from Finland!

Regards Dante.

OP
OP
D

danteb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hello,
I'd guess the cluster.
I'd also disconnect the battery for awhle just to see if have any effect.

Switch-Multifunction http://connectors.dcctools.com/details.htm?id=48437
View attachment 175503

Thanks, i'll test to disconnect the batterys.
Now i've have an issue with that something drains my battery. Was hard turning over yesterday, now this morning it didnt start.

Can i somewhere find the part number of the cluster without removing it? Found a cheap one on my local scrapyard.

OP
OP
D

danteb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Problem solved, bought used cluster from the scrapyard. Everything works fine now exept the battery drain, will see tomorrow if the new cluster solves that aswell.

ramrocker

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Problem solved, bought used cluster from the scrapyard. Everything works fine now exept the battery drain, will see tomorrow if the new cluster solves that as well.

Good to hear.
I didn't expect your scrapyard there to have the part.