Shorties / LTs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I now have 3 broken exhaust manifold bolts... and figure I need to get them swapped out.
I plan on going with a tune anyway and have a tuner so the real question I have is, how many people with shorties wish they went with LTs. I've been reading threads for MONTHS now and need to make a move. I think my biggest fear with the LTs is the heat issue with the brake lines. But all the talk on the shorties is there is no major HP gain. What is everyone's actual opinion that already have the shorties. Regrets? or worth it...

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Depends if you actually want any noticeable performance gains. My understanding is that the vast majority of people that put shorties on looking for gains regret not going LTs.

I've got JBA LT and have no issues with brake line proximity. Lines can always be wrapped and/or pushed out of the way. I think I've only seen one, MAYBE two people on here that were concerned with brake line proximity, but were able to figure something out.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I now have 3 broken exhaust manifold bolts... and figure I need to get them swapped out.
I plan on going with a tune anyway and have a tuner so the real question I have is, how many people with shorties wish they went with LTs. I've been reading threads for MONTHS now and need to make a move. I think my biggest fear with the LTs is the heat issue with the brake lines. But all the talk on the shorties is there is no major HP gain. What is everyone's actual opinion that already have the shorties. Regrets? or worth it...
Most do shortys to just get rid of the stock manifold bolts, guy did before and after dyno runs with stock manifolds and then shortlys; gained 8HP. LT are for Performance and you get rid of the crapy bolts. As for the heat melting stuff I would recommend ceramic coating. I did on my old 2013 and the coating worked well.

OP
OP
daveray9

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Depends if you actually want any noticeable performance gains. My understanding is that the vast majority of people that put shorties on looking for gains regret not going LTs.

I've got JBA LT and have no issues with brake line proximity. Lines can always be wrapped and/or pushed out of the way. I think I've only seen one, MAYBE two people on here that were concerned with brake line proximity, but were able to figure something out.
Any issues with emissions? Im in MA.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine

American Racing Headers have LT with cats for emissions.
If I could do it over I would Not have gotten LT's, not worth the money imo. 3k for LT and $600 for ceramic coating, $300 for new muffler and some miscellaneous items. All for 15-25 HP, big disappointment.

OP
OP
daveray9

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I could do it over I would Not have gotten LT's, not worth the money imo. 3k for LT and $600 for ceramic coating, $300 for new muffler and some miscellaneous items. All for 15-25 HP, big disappointment.

Thanks for the feedback! Was worried I would feel that way...

Dirtyblackhoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did shorty headers and felt zero difference. I did it purely to get rid of the manifold boot issues. I also had no regrets, because I felt with my custom tune I had plenty of power.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Shorties will not get you any gains you will feel. We consider them a replacement for manifolds and thats about it. Now if you go with LT's and a good tune you will absolutely feel it. LT's offer a decent bump in power and torque. You will feel the gain as long as the tune that you use with it is good. Also the sound with LT's is just plain awesome! They are a key component if you want to build up the motor or add a SC down the road. We have not had any complaints about headers heating up the brake lines.

We strongly recommend Stainless Works or KOOKS. we can offer great pricing and both.Also both offer high flow cats and KOOKS has another option from the high flows with their "Green Cats". Message me for a quote

MidwestJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have jba short tubes on my hemi.
No tune

I could definitely tell a performance improvement.

Sound and throttle response. Truck pulled harder.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
OP if you do decide to get LT Do Not get Kooks. The headers and mid pipe are held together with a Flimsy clamp, not a 2 or 3 bolt flange. Mine leaked like a civ, huffing exhaust gas sitting in traffic after spending $$$$ left a nice bad taste in my mouth. And when I got them they had press marks all over them. Very poop quality!

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I'm not familiar with MA emissions requirements. Catless will fail any visual inspection. Not sure if/what states do a visual. A custom tune can remove the 02 sensors so they don't throw a code so you can pass a plug in test. Some people don't get the code thrown without a tune and some do, no rhyme or reason. Ive been running my truck tuneless for a few weeks now since I had to go to the dealership and haven't taken the time to reload the custom tune. Haven't had any codes thrown.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
$3K? ARH are $1.7K with cats... it's definitely pricey if you go high end, but getting the JBA ceramic coated for under $1K and only $300-$500 more than the shorties is much easier to swallow.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

WOW--I thought that the ARH long tubes were less than 2k. My local powder coater gave me a price of $300 for inside and out including the cross over. Installation is about $300 also.
Jay

OP
OP
daveray9

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WOW--I thought that the ARH long tubes were less than 2k. My local powder coater gave me a price of $300 for inside and out including the cross over. Installation is about $300 also.
Jay
Where are you located...

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I'm in MA as well and from what I've heard if you get long tubes you may not pass smog, even if you put cats on. They look for the factory cats.

I'm looking at headers as well but am likely going to go with JBA silver ceramic shorties to be safe.

OP
OP
daveray9

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm in MA as well and from what I've heard if you get long tubes you may not pass smog, even if you put cats on. They look for the factory cats.

I'm looking at headers as well but am likely going to go with JBA silver ceramic shorties to be safe.
Thats what I was worried about too....

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Shorties are a waste if you're looking for performance. Long tube headers all the way, no question about that.
BUT,.........if you're like me and live in MA, then you need to pass emissions testings. Long tubes will not pass unless you have the correct long tubes and the correct tuner!
Good luck.

OP
OP
daveray9

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Shorties are a waste if you're looking for performance. Long tube headers all the way, no question about that.
BUT,.........if you're like me and live in MA, then you need to pass emissions testings. Long tubes will not pass unless you have the correct long tubes and the correct tuner!
Good luck.
Have a tuner and wqs gunna go with ARH LTs... but if it then fails emissions... Im out like 2500.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
MA emissions testing is like **** Germany now. As I'm sure you MA guys know, they have cameras on everything and the inspectors have to take pics of several things at every inspection. The guy I go to for inspections told me there's rumors that they will make them take pics of the exhaust system and will fail if the factory cats aren't there. Right now its just a visual inspection so with the right shop you would be ok with LTs. For now. The whole thing is ********.