Shorties quieter than stock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John stone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, I need some help and I hope there might be an explanation. I just got some BBK shorties installed (plz dont bash me about BBK I know they arnt the best and getting shorties, I had broken bolts) and they seemed to make my exhaust quieter? I had Flowmaster super 10 muffler and stock manifolds and it sounded mean, now that I put the headers on, it cut that sound it seems almost in half, any reason? Still has tone but not as loud....

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Hi, I need some help and I hope there might be an explanation. I just got some BBK shorties installed (plz dont bash me about BBK I know they arnt the best and getting shorties, I had broken bolts) and they seemed to make my exhaust quieter? I had Flowmaster super 10 muffler and stock manifolds and it sounded mean, now that I put the headers on, it cut that sound it seems almost in half, any reason? Still has tone but not as loud....
Shorties make it louder in all scenarios has they are headers and not manifolds. I’m concerned you have some sort of blockage

OP
OP
J

John stone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Shorties make it louder in all scenarios has they are headers and not manifolds. I’m concerned you have some sort of blockage
I dont know how or why there would be blockage... no leaks either, had a well known exhaust shop put them on, it does have a "deeper" tone but the decibels are not where they were, my friend was even like wtf

Last edited:

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I dont know how or why there would be blockage... no leaks either, had a well known exhaust shop put them on, it does have a "deeper" tone but the decibels are not where they were, my friend was even like wtf
I have seen stranger things. Rags left in pipes, but a well known shop would most likely be above installing low quality parts. If they are well known for doing good work I would think they have standards and don’t have time to mess with headers that have known fitment issues. As a shop owner I wouldn’t waste one of my bays on a guess if it’s going to work or fit right.
If they didn’t fit or leak who’s responsible?

OP
OP
J

John stone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have seen stranger things. Rags left in pipes, but a well known shop would most likely be above installing low quality parts. If they are well known for doing good work I would think they have standards and don’t have time to mess with headers that have known fitment issues. As a shop owner I wouldn’t waste one of my bays on a guess if it’s going to work or fit right.
The thing is I've heard other people say the same thing with headers and these headers specifically too, the shop said they fit fine just a little tight.... about it being quieter tho, I really have a hard time believing that these flow worse than manifolds but I havent heard a possible culprit for this. And I dont think theres a rag in my exhaust, I have 3in exhaust so you'd really have to be dumb to leave or put one in there lol

OP
OP
J

John stone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here are others replying with the same setup. I'm "fowloutdoors".

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220513-083113_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20220513-083113_YouTube.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20220513-083054_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20220513-083054_YouTube.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 35

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
The thing is I've heard other people say the same thing with headers and these headers specifically too, the shop said they fit fine just a little tight.... about it being quieter tho, I really have a hard time believing that these flow worse than manifolds but I havent heard a possible culprit for this. And I dont think theres a rag in my exhaust, I have 3in exhaust so you'd really have to be dumb to leave or put one in there lol
You don’t have catalytic converters?

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I do still have my cats on, the only change is flowmaster super 10 muffler, and now the headers I just put out on after i already had the aftermarket muffler.
Could be more flow and the way the muffler is baffled. Not making the right tones

OP
OP
J

John stone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could be more flow and the way the muffler is baffled. Not making the right tones
The super 10s are basically a muffler delete, I'm thinking maybe the design and flow of the gasses in the headers are making the exaust quieter, but it was surprisingly quieter

OP
OP
J

John stone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, I've posted this in another thread but couldnt really get an answer, I installed BBK shortie headers, I had magnaflow super 10s and stock manifold before the headers and the truck was pretty loud, now since I've put the headers on the truck became much quieter... is there a reason for this? The new header tubes are a bit longer and twisted, I was thinking maybe the design and gas flow?

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is my thought/theory. I have seen some scenarios where long tubes do the same thing. So....manifolds are restrictive as the primaries are small, creating velocity. Then the larger primaries of the shorties flow more but now with the bigger primaries the flow kinda bounces around as there is more room with the shorties.

Think of blowing into a short peice of garden hose. Put your hand at the end. you will feel a lot of flow. Now with the same force blow into a hose 2x larger. The flow will feel less even though it is more flow capable.

Hope that makes sense. As long as it sounds louder in all other instances like WOT, and its only quiet at idle, I wouldnt worry.

Also, isnt a flowmaster 10 a single chamber? I would get rid of the chambered muffler. They are restrictive.

OP
OP
J

John stone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is my thought/theory. I have seen some scenarios where long tubes do the same thing. So....manifolds are restrictive as the primaries are small, creating velocity. Then the larger primaries of the shorties flow more but now with the bigger primaries the flow kinda bounces around as there is more room with the shorties.

Think of blowing into a short peice of garden hose. Put your hand at the end. you will feel a lot of flow. Now with the same force blow into a hose 2x larger. The flow will feel less even though it is more flow capable.

Hope that makes sense. As long as it sounds louder in all other instances like WOT, and its only quiet at idle, I wouldnt worry.

Also, isnt a flowmaster 10 a single chamber? I would get rid of the chambered muffler. They are restrictive.
Thanks for the response, this definitely helped me understand a little more! And yes the flowmaster is a single chamber, might look into a glass pack!

Wildmanjoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just installed the same ones on my 2018 and YES it is quieter in the truck. Seems to be louder when I get on it. I'm running different exhaust than most of you guys im sure. I have my cats then vibrant resonator into my signature series Paradox muffler, to factory rear resonators and 6 inch tips 14"long. Also have Vararam intake going for true bore throttle body next

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I just installed the same ones on my 2018 and YES it is quieter in the truck. Seems to be louder when I get on it. I'm running different exhaust than most of you guys im sure. I have my cats then vibrant resonator into my signature series Paradox muffler, to factory rear resonators and 6 inch tips 14"long. Also have Vararam intake going for true bore throttle body next
I like your name,lol. Is your last name actually Wildman