SHorty Bolt-On Headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maddmaxx13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any recommendations on shorty bolt-on headers? I'm looking for something I can do myself. Don't want to re-invent my exhaust system, just want to replace the "wonderful" factory set that of course got the well known leak ( stud breaks around 75k-80k miles) that the dealership will "fix" for $1500 or so.

I have a 2016 1500 Big Horn Crew cab with the 5.7 About 135k on him and he is still going strong except for the exhaust leak.

I've seen a few different brands ( ******, BBK, Flowmaster, etc) that claim they will bolt right up. Some say you need to lift the engine a little, other say you may need to slide the pipes from the header back a couple inches in the hanger ) I see good and bad reviews for the same brands ) Any of you done this and whats been your experience? Thanks

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed Kooks shorty headers with remflex gaskets. I love them on my truck. you do have to lift the engine a little bit but it's no big deal. Don't go cheap it's not worth it Kooks are stainless steel are top quality and use remflex gaskets they are the best

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210622-194621_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210622-194621_Gallery.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20210622-194639_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210622-194639_Gallery.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 19

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why not just go longtubes? The ARH long tubes bolt to the stock exhaust system. Some of the shorties out there are just as expensive as longtubes anyways.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I get why shorty headers, you probably don't want to deal with the "customizing" you'll have to do to accommodate LT's, that was me.
You'll definitely get more from LT's, but at a greater expense.
I went with Gibson's SS shorties to match up with my Gibson Super Truck SS cat-back system already installed and love em.
Bolt right up, nothing else to mess with.
Granted you don't get the power gains throughout the power band, but you'll get a difference in the lower end where you typically run.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I get why shorty headers, you probably don't want to deal with the "customizing" you'll have to do to accommodate LT's, that was me.
You'll definitely get more from LT's, but at a greater expense.
I went with Gibson's SS shorties to match up with my Gibson Super Truck SS cat-back system already installed and love em.
Bolt right up, nothing else to mess with.
Granted you don't get the power gains throughout the power band, but you'll get a difference in the lower end where you typically run.
You got that backasswards Tray.Shorties don't make torque,long tubes make torque.The shorter the primary tube,the higher up in the rpm band your power moves. Same principle as the variable runner intake manifolds on the later trucks.The long runners are engaged for bottem end torque,and the short runners kick in for power higher in the rpm band. That's an old wifes tail that shorties make torque,they don't,no matter what your butt dyno says,lol

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You got that backasswards Tray.Shorties don't make torque,long tubes make torque.The shorter the primary tube,the higher up in the rpm band your power moves. Same principle as the variable runner intake manifolds on the later trucks.The long runners are engaged for bottem end torque,and the short runners kick in for power higher in the rpm band. That's an old wifes tail that shorties make torque,they don't,no matter what your butt dyno says,lol
Oh I absolutely agree, but as you know, there are extra cost associated with going with LT's too.
My shorties accomplished exactly what I wanted; eliminated a slight stumble at a lower, idle acceleration and gave me a little deeper rumble. I wasn't expecting a world of difference.
I'll probably upgrade to LT's eventually, but only as the last thing I do mechanically.