Shorty Exhaust header upgrade question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemidog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
2017 ram laramie with AFE shortys, stock gaskets. They have been on for about 5 years, ZERO problems or issues. BTW, I had the headers ceramic coated prior to install. Also, a direct bolt in.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
BBK have been known to fail over time, also fitment is hit or miss. JBA has been known to have their welds fail over time and fitment is not good at all. They normally (not all the time but very often) hit the steering knuckle.

AFE is the way to go for shorties! The AFE hardware is very good. I wouldn't spend the money on different hardware. For the gaskets the AFE ones are good but many do go with the Remflex ones.

message me for a quote on headers, I would be happy to help.
I may be reaching out to you. I told dealership two oil changed ago I heard a ticking they noted it and said heard nothing. Now I’m at 38k with a broken passenger stud. Last oil change service guy did a walk around and showed the stud broken then told me this as I texted him. Isn’t it just going to happen again?

We replace all the studs, bolts, hardware and gasket on the manifold that is leaking. That usually runs $350.00 to $500.00 per side.

We typically do not replace the manifold itself, just the gaskets and hardware. This generation of hemi typically has issues with studs a couple of time in the trucks lifetime due to the design of the system.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I may be reaching out to you. I told dealership two oil changed ago I heard a ticking they noted it and said heard nothing. Now I’m at 38k with a broken passenger stud. Last oil change service guy did a walk around and showed the stud broken then told me this as I texted him. Isn’t it just going to happen again?

We replace all the studs, bolts, hardware and gasket on the manifold that is leaking. That usually runs $350.00 to $500.00 per side.

We typically do not replace the manifold itself, just the gaskets and hardware. This generation of hemi typically has issues with studs a couple of time in the trucks lifetime due to the design of the system.

Wow, not replacing the manifold is definitely not the way to correct the issue. That will be a temp fix. The gasket will blow out if there isnt even pressure against the head from the manifold. putting that warped manifold back in will not last. The issue really isnt the studs, its the manifold warping which ends up snapping the studs. Its all in the manifold flange. That is why quality headers have a thick steel flange that wont warp and why they do not leak.

Let me know if we can help. We usually have them in stock.

Hm710

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In the process of installing my ARE shortys on 2019 6.4. PO said it was a gasket leak and would come and go. Got the heat shield off and manifold cracked. You can see between the dip stick tube and the motor mount bolt.
IMG_20230507_130529345.jpg

Actually pulled the manifold out in two pieces....
IMG_20230509_095339.jpg
Have the multi layer Felpro that came with the headers and also ordered the Remflex gaskets and bolt kit. Both set of gaskets are slighly different than the OEM. Had to pop another hole for the rear port lower left bolt and there is an extra hole in the front. Hopefully neither will cause issues.

Made studs from two OEM bolts and got the drivers sice on and bolts started. The one above the motor mount is going to be interesting. Good thing were only going 20 ft lbs.

1SloRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In the process of installing my ARE shortys on 2019 6.4. PO said it was a gasket leak and would come and go. Got the heat shield off and manifold cracked. You can see between the dip stick tube and the motor mount bolt.
View attachment 520953

Actually pulled the manifold out in two pieces....
View attachment 520954
Have the multi layer Felpro that came with the headers and also ordered the Remflex gaskets and bolt kit. Both set of gaskets are slighly different than the OEM. Had to pop another hole for the rear port lower left bolt and there is an extra hole in the front. Hopefully neither will cause issues.

Made studs from two OEM bolts and got the drivers sice on and bolts started. The one above the motor mount is going to be interesting. Good thing were only going 20 ft lbs.
Did you go in through the wheel well?
Removed the air box and went though wheel well, plenty of room. It was a 5.7, but I’d assume it couldn’t hurt.
The extra front holes baffled me as well, I figured it was for the heat shields that I did not re install..wouldn’t fit.

RedRAM21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
So... what are we talking price wise, for both:
1) The AFE Shorty Headers
2) A new Exhaust including a set of Borla Mufflers ?

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exhaust Header questions.
I have a 2021 RAM 1500 Limited truck with a Hemi 5.7L engine in it. Love the truck, but now after about 45k miles, I have that infamous exhaust header leak. I went to the dealership and it is covered under a 60k PowerTrain warranty, but the parts are back-ordered. Instead of going back to the flawed stock design, I was thinking about upgrading. I decided to go the route of replacing the stock exhaust headers with new Shorty Exhaust headers and currently I have the stock exhaust. Before I go to an exhaust shop or performance shop I figured I would ask some questions from the gurus here in this RAM forum. I do not want to replace my entire exhaust system but just the stock exhaust headers at the front of the engine, using stock placement and mid-pipe. I have seen many brands such as BBK, JBA, AFE, Kooks, FlowTech, and many others but some do not offer shorty exhaust headers for my year of the truck yet.

I am sort of leaning toward the BBK as it seems many have used them. Are there others that are better built that will not cost me 1,000 for the set?
So from those who have actually swapped out the stock exhaust headers, what would you recommend to do and what to buy?

This is what I was thinking of purchasing below:
Did I miss anything and do I really need that extra Fel-pro Manifold gasket as others suggested? <?
> BBK 40150, Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi 1-3/4" Shorty Headers Polished Silver Ceramic 19-23
or the BBK 4015, Ram 1500 Truck 5.7 1-3/4 Shorty Exhaust Headers Titanium Ceramic 19-23
> FEL-PRO Exhaust Manifold Gasket Set, Part # MS 97083
> Stage 8 MOPAR Hemi V8 Header Bolt Kit, part # 8916
What else would you recommend?

Also, will an exhaust for 2019 also fit my 2021?
I mentioned in another thread that the cure that I found is to take a set of old, well used exhaust manifolds to your local machine shop and have them re-surfaced. the higher mileage, the better. Doing that, ended my exhaust leak problem about 3 years ago. As I mentioned previously, "new" manifolds have "stresses" in them and the thermal cycling removes those stresses but causes the manifolds to warp.
I have experienced no problems since.