Shorty Headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txtrucker75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
I just installed a set of shortie headers on my 5.9L magnum engine and after I hooked all the exhaust pipes back up I have started hearing a popping sound from one of the header pipes going down into the exhaust pipes, is this normal? Or is it just unburned gas making its way into the header or could it be a leak sucking air through the exhaust manifold gasket?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
By popping, do you mean almost like a backfire? Check plug wire routing and for exhaust leaks

AK12MN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
What kind of headers? Did you see any gains. I was thinking Gibsons.

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Popping?? During deceleration or when truck is off and pipe is cooling. If popping while deceleration its air leaking into exhaust at head pipe.

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

96Rammy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum V8
What kind of headers? Did you see any gains. I was thinking Gibsons.

Just going to butt in here and let you know I just installed Gibsons on my 5.9 rebuild. I'll try to let you know how it goes once it's put back together and running.

justtruckn

Reaction score
Ram Year
87 96 01
Engine
318 360 345
i had 1.5 in shorty headers on the last truck i had. the one before that had 2 in shortys on it ... by far the 1.5 ones worked much better. so that is why i got a set of 1.5's coming for my 2000. i got a cracked manifold and need to swap it out anyway so why not.... guess the point is ... don't go big on a stock mill .... ya will not like what happens to the low / mid range grunt. if its all built up ya go with long tube anyway.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
i had 1.5 in shorty headers on the last truck i had. the one before that had 2 in shortys on it ... by far the 1.5 ones worked much better. so that is why i got a set of 1.5's coming for my 2000. i got a cracked manifold and need to swap it out anyway so why not.... guess the point is ... don't go big on a stock mill .... ya will not like what happens to the low / mid range grunt. if its all built up ya go with long tube anyway.
There are no 2” shorties available and longtubes make more torque everywhere