Shorty headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badkittie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I have read many threads on the broken manifold bolts and replacement headers. I have JBA shorty headers on my truck now, after having the dreaded Hemi tick due to broken bolts. After replacement, there is another leak, but on the drivers side now. According to the exhaust shop, the gasket was worthless, they showed me, it was bare in a few spots, and now the drivers side header is warped.
Many people have said BBK & JBA are crap, Kook are awesome, but expensive. Has anyone ever used aFe shorty headers 48-42001-1 ?
I have a 2010 ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi.
Thoughts/suggestions appreciated!

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I have read many threads on the broken manifold bolts and replacement headers. I have JBA shorty headers on my truck now, after having the dreaded Hemi tick due to broken bolts. After replacement, there is another leak, but on the drivers side now. According to the exhaust shop, the gasket was worthless, they showed me, it was bare in a few spots, and now the drivers side header is warped.
Many people have said BBK & JBA are crap, Kook are awesome, but expensive. Has anyone ever used aFe shorty headers 48-42001-1 ?
We just installed aFe shorties on my buddy's @the_goodguy07 and no problems ... there is however a small clicking that lasts like 3 seconds when he starts it but that might be because we haven't retorqued the headers since we installed them..

I have never heard of actual headers warp only the manifolds, so you might want to talk with jba about that because headers are not supposed to warp, get them warrantied I say

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could try the recommended Remflex gaskets with the JBA and see if that solves it before changing them out as well.

OP
OP
badkittie

badkittie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
@16WhiteQC I took it to a shop yesterday and they pulled out the gasket that was there and replaced with the original gasket, which is metal, more like the Fel Pro gaskets everyone talks about using. And although the noise is not as loud, when I accelerate, or punch it, you can hear the tick. It's like the original tick was never fixed:-(

OP
OP
badkittie

badkittie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
We just installed aFe shorties on my buddy's @the_goodguy07 and no problems ... there is however a small clicking that lasts like 3 seconds when he starts it but that might be because we haven't retorqued the headers since we installed them..

I have never heard of actual headers warp only the manifolds, so you might want to talk with jba about that because headers are not supposed to warp, get them warrantied I say
Thank you for the info. I read around last night about the JBA headers, and I'm not the only one who has been told these headers warped after being on the truck. Now, with that said, the guy who installed the headers did not use the gaskets that were purchased for the exact reason that I had a leak after they were installed- the gaskets that come with it are crap, they are mesh with a rubberized exterior that sits against the manifold and header. What I don't know is if that header was warped when it was received, but I can try contacting JBA to see what they say. Again, thank you for the info!

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just gonna throw this out there but are you sure the tick is exhaust related? Lifters are known to tick as well

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Pretty sure headers are just noisy compared to manifolds. I never had a tick before I replaced mine but I get a bit of noise now. I have torqued them two additional times so I just live with it now.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The AFE shorties are a great option. It is actually our recommended option due to their quality and fitment. Kooks are great but are very expensive, at that price point mind as well go long tubes. The AFE shorties are our best selling shorty headers. If you would like a quote on a set message me. We currently have a few sets in stock!

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
The AFE shorties are a great option. It is actually our recommended option due to their quality and fitment. Kooks are great but are very expensive, at that price point mind as well go long tubes. The AFE shorties are our best selling shorty headers. If you would like a quote on a set message me. We currently have a few sets in stock!
These are the ones I will be getting when I remove the manifolds for sure ....plus they are just down the street from where I live in Corona ...

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hmmmm.... I never had a bit of trouble with my trashy JBA headers.

It will probably explode tomorrow, but my old 2011 is just as smooth, and quiet as can be. At 65,000 miles, it still has the original spark plugs. We drove to the east side of Louisville this evening to pick up a WR250R and the lie-o-meter said we were getting 18 mpg at 75 mph.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine

It will probably explode tomorrow, but my old 2011 is just as smooth, and quiet as can be. At 65,000 miles, it still has the original spark plugs. We drove to the east side of Louisville this evening to pick up a WR250R and the lie-o-meter said we were getting 18 mpg at 75 mph.
Some people have no problems with any brand of headers and some do, you are lucky ...

OP
OP
badkittie

badkittie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l

I also, think the guy who installed them didn't install them correctly. He is a friend of my brother's, but owns a shop...meh, it was free.
Mine is a 2010 with almost 110k miles, sadly I've had to let friends borrow her while we worked on their Fords, and they drive a lot.
Anyway, good that you haven't had any issues with your JBAs, I think I'm going to move to the aFes.

OP
OP
badkittie

badkittie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I bit the bullet and purchased the aFe shorty headers, we will see what they are like when they are on....fingers crossed no more noise...aside from the magnaflow sound that should be there!

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bit the bullet and purchased the aFe shorty headers, we will see what they are like when they are on....fingers crossed no more noise...aside from the magnaflow sound that should be there!

Actually Headers causes way more noise, you'll hear the injectors now... :)

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are these the AFE ones you guys are talking about?

If so I might look into these if my new manifolds ever pop the "updated" bolts....

OP
OP
badkittie

badkittie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Are these the AFE ones you guys are talking about?

If so I might look into these if my new manifolds ever pop the "updated" bolts....
Yes those are the exact ones I just bought.

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Are the Remflex 6022s better than the OEM gaskets?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ive heard nothing but good things about Ramflex gaskets. However the Mopar gaskets have a nice heat shield built in that keeps heat away from the plastic valve covers as well as the heater core hoses on the passengers side.