Shot in the dark here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ohmoxide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Diesel
I have several electrical issues with my truck, mostly just annoying, but I am hoping someone can look over this list and say, hey I know what is wrong.

The list:
  1. Cruise control dash indicator comes on, but it will not actually work
  2. passengers can not roll their windows up/down, driver can control all of them fine. ( I replaced driver window control panel with OEM panel and no the disable button is not engaged)
  3. upper cigarette lighter does not work, lower works fine
  4. doors sometime auto lock at 15 mph, but rarely unlock when I put truck into park.
  5. vent control does not always have the correct vents open. Example, I have foot vents selected but air is only coming out of the defrost vents.
Thanks.
-Rob

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Only educated guess that I would have would be the BCM but it has nothing to do with the cigarette lighter issue or the cruise control indicator. I really can't see them all being connected but i'm sure someone else will chime in that knows the electrical system better on these trucks than I do. I'd say the passenger window switch will fix your passenger window issue. Not sure about the rest.

OP
OP
Ohmoxide

Ohmoxide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Diesel
Thanks for input Elevated.
All three passenger window switches are not operating the windows, not sure how all three would break.
I am not sure what a BCM is, computer?

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I have several electrical issues with my truck, mostly just annoying, but I am hoping someone can look over this list and say, hey I know what is wrong.

The list:
  2. passengers can not roll their windows up/down, driver can control all of them fine. ( I replaced driver window control panel with OEM panel and no the disable button is not engaged)
  4. doors sometime auto lock at 15 mph, but rarely unlock when I put truck into park.
  5. vent control does not always have the correct vents open. Example, I have foot vents selected but air is only coming out of the defrost vents.
Thanks.
-Rob

Tell us more about the truck.
Size motor trans cab model etc

- The Blue Mule

OP
OP
Ohmoxide

Ohmoxide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Diesel
Will do Blue,
2003 Ram 2500 Diesel 5.9L
Quad Cab, short bed.
Automatic tranny, it was recently rebuilt.
Thanks.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am not sure what a BCM is, computer?

Body Control Module, controls a large number of things in the truck

The list:
Thanks.
-Rob

1. Does it stay on when you try to set it or does the cruise light go out?
2. Is that ALL the passengers (front and back) or just the passenger side front?
3. Upper is 12v key (when the key is in the on position), lower is 12v constant. If the fuse is good then the socket may have just taken a ****, it happens. Only way to know for sure is to pull the plug off the back and put a meter on it.
4. If it's set as an option, the autolocks should engage every time you hit 15mph. Normally on 03's (and I can't remember if its even an option) the doors unlock when the driver opens the door, not put in park; like I said, I can't remember if it's even an option, but I'll look through my EVIC menu tomorrow to see.
5. This could be the control module or much more likely your door(s) have broken (known 3rd gen problem).

Krein

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i would check the main wire harness for the windows, my 07 had the same problem and ended up finding pinched and broken wires and as hemi lonestar stated the socket for the 12v are defintley known to take a ****.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Also meant to ask if any codes were present, like speed sensor errors.

OP
OP
Ohmoxide

Ohmoxide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Diesel
Thanks for the help HemiLonestar.
  1. Yes, the Cruise light stays on until I turn off truck or press the off button on the left side of the steering wheel.
  2. All three passenger windows are only operable by the driver.
  3. The Upper lighter does not work with truck on or off.
  4. The odd thing about the locks is that the doors do sometimes unlock when I open the door, but only about 15% of the time.
  5. The right rear door had a fully broken wire harness, which I replaced and now the driver can operate the window and lock. I guess I will pull the switch out and short the wires to see if the doors lock or unlock. Just weird that every passenger door lock and window switch failed, but would not be the weirdest thing I have seen. The Control Module is not cheap but might be a good place to start.
Again, thanks.

1. Does it stay on when you try to set it or does the cruise light go out?
2. Is that ALL the passengers (front and back) or just the passenger side front?
3. Upper is 12v key (when the key is in the on position), lower is 12v constant. If the fuse is good then the socket may have just taken a ****, it happens. Only way to know for sure is to pull the plug off the back and put a meter on it.
4. If it's set as an option, the autolocks should engage every time you hit 15mph. Normally on 03's (and I can't remember if its even an option) the doors unlock when the driver opens the door, not put in park; like I said, I can't remember if it's even an option, but I'll look through my EVIC menu tomorrow to see.
5. This could be the control module or much more likely your door(s) have broken (known 3rd gen problem).

OP
OP
Ohmoxide

Ohmoxide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Diesel
i would check the main wire harness for the windows, my 07 had the same problem and ended up finding pinched and broken wires and as hemi lonestar stated the socket for the 12v are definitely known to take a ****.
Does the main wire harness for the windows connect to the Control Module? I did have that right rear door harness replaced, but I was not able to operate the windows or door locks at all on that door. With that replaced, I still can operate all door locks and windows from the driver panel.

OP
OP
Ohmoxide

Ohmoxide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Diesel
I didn't ask if you had dash lights, I asked if you had codes. You may have error codes without triggering the MIL.
I do not know, I will have to go to AutoZone and plug it in.