Should 2010 6.7L with Deleted DPF Smoke a Lot?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MooSSe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I just purchased this new-to-me 2010 Ram 3500 Dually a few weeks ago. It came with the DPF already deleted. I seem to have one of the DPF-R DD30 kits on my truck. (https://gearboxz.com/collections/dodge/products/gbz-dd30-gbz-dodge-3-0-electronics)

My question is should my truck be smoking so bad?

I know having the cat and dbf removed should allow some more soot out than normal, but mine seems almost excessive. The product descriptions for this kit all say it only clears DTC's and makes the truck think a clean exhaust is installed so it should never try to regen. Does anybody know if some sort of tune is installed on this unit by default?

And last question, if I were to get a tuner like the Bully Dog GT, does it have the ability to keep the CEL off and trick the system to stop regens?

I want to install a tow tune, and monitor EGT's so this little thing has to go.

I'm hoping it will smoke a little less too.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

- Randy

BWC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Smoking a lot all the time or just when you punch it? Custom tunes will give you the best efficiency. The most popular platforms are efi live or MM3. I am unfamiliar with your tuner but no the truck should not be smoking a lot. Everyone has different definitions of a lot of smoke though. If you have any other questions let me know

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Mine doesn't smoke a lot with the DPF delete and tuning. I wonder if yours is already tuned. It probably is as the DPF system would be throwing codes left and right and I wonder if the tune is throwing more fuel into the engine than needed.

Just how much smoke you getting?

OP
OP
MooSSe

MooSSe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
If I accelerate slow not very much, but if I stomp on it then it looks like those videos where kids are rolling coal for a good long ways.
While cruising the highway at 65-70 I can occasionally notice a steady stream of light smoke. Most people following me back off so it must be enough to be annoying to others.
I just bought an EGR delete kit and plan to get H&S Mini Maxx soon.
I may pay Dodge dealer to flash back to stock just to make sure I have a stock tune to start off with.