Should I be worried?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
I am considering a 2012 !500 Bighorn with 82K mi. website says it has had 3 owners. Would
you consider this a red flag for a truck with low miles? The pix show it in good shape, but it is
2 hours away.

thanks for your time.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
10 years and 3 owners isn't terrible but like any used vehicle do your research. I'd definitely check out what you can through the manufacturer for repairs/recalls/failures early on. That could tell a lot if people dumped the truck due to problems. I don't know what access is like for a non-owner/shopper but as an owner I can see details of every visit my 8 year old truck has ever had to the dealer.

jaked1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
See if you can find out who the owners were. I was recently looking at a 15 ecodiesel with 56k miles that had 3 owners, the first being the original owner that traded it in and the dealer sent it to auction, the 2nd owner was the auction company, and the 3rd owner was dealership that bought it from the auction company. Meanwhile it only gained like 500miles between trade in and the 3rd owner. Owning doesn’t always mean driven.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
When I’m considering a vehicle, I’ll go look at several of the same on the market just to get a feel of the market, and also as a comparison of what’s available. That way when I’m ready to pull the trigger …. I’m well informed and more knowledgeable. :waytogo:

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Huge red flag for "ME" at least ... that means 3 different driving habits, ways of maintaining the vehicles and of course why did each of them decide to get rid of the truck?

I would look some more, but even then, a 1 owner vehicle could have the same problems as a 3-5 owner vehicle. If you feel like it's a good truck, take the chance, risk ... that's the risk of buying used ... good luck

OP
OP
C

cmore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
So I finally broke down and got the carfax report. It shows that the 3rd owner is the current dealer.
No red flags or title issues.
Thank you all for your time and the good advice.

Freakydude

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
3 owners when really it was 1. the mileage seems acceptable for the year, I would take the vin to a dealer and ask them what work was done on it. Seriously I don't see any red flags depending on what a dealer advises.
I wouldn't put all my stock into carfax or the likes, I have easily challenged things reported and had them taken off reports.
Dealer maintenance is everything in my book. If you find one going to a dealer for regular maintenance then you know you had an owner that cared. Dealers owning vehicles means little, they be just trying to make a buck.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What region is the truck located? One concern which hasn't been discussed yet is body rust. These Rams have a tendency to break-out into unsightly body rust under the right conditions after about 8-10 years. Esp when owners don't wash them frequently enough. Starting to see some early 4th Gens around here with rust holes in them.

If the pickup has not lived in the rust belt region, or very near the ocean, then frame/body rust is probably a non-issue, and you're in the clear. If it still looks good, maybe it's been professionally undercoated, which would be a bonus, or the previous owners cared enough to washed it thoroughly. KS is kind of a middle region, but mostly they don't rust all that bad down there (like up here).

Good luck on the deal!!

Last edited:

kayjo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
mileage is fine for the year of truck. 3 owners with light average to light mileage seems a bit weird but as you say, one is dealer , 2 should not be problem in 10 years. I agree with other post, drive a few of similar equipment and year, and you will know right away after you have seen a few if its a good truck or not.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
first owner may have been a Lease
They are restricted when it comes to mileage

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2012 is the worst year.

If you like wrenching its a great ruck :cool:

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2012 is the worst year.
Really? That's what I have... lol (it's been rock-solid)

Actually 2013 was a mid-model redesign. Although the trucks look the same as 09-12's, a lot of things were re-designed and changed in 2013. Parts between 2013-2022 are mostly similar. Many 09-12 parts won't fit. So, you're better off getting a 2013 on up if you can ...just from a parts availability perspective.

If I were looking for one today, I'd focus on a 2013 and up with the 8-spd.

OP
OP
C

cmore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
first owner may have been a Lease
They are restricted when it comes to mileage
that is correct according to carfax
first owner lease 35K mi
second owner 47K mi.
third owner current dealer (trade in?)
thanks again

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cmore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Any reason your not letting a mechanic you know check it over.
I dont know any either local or where the truck is. It is 2 hours away.
wouldn't know how to go about it.
I know about listening for the tick, that is about all. I've had 4x4 before so Iknow how it feels.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There's nothing wrong with 2012's. Mine's got 171k. Runs and drives great, no rattles, wiggles and doors seal nice and tight. It seems to have been pretty well cared for and still drives 'tight'. I have driven Rams with 100k miles less which didn't feel any tighter on the road. I'd get something newer and a lot fewer miles if I had a compelling reason.

Let's think long term. If you plan to keep your next truck a long time, I would personally go with a 2013 on up just because they were more the same mechanically and electrically. And a truck with the 8-spd transmission gets better economy. If you put on a ton of miles and will get another truck in a couple years ..then maybe it doesn't matter and the 2012 will fit the bill today.

Its like any used vehicle, you never know how things are going to go. Expect some things might need replacing right away, other items will eventually fail.... (like any older vehicle, car/truck/etc)