Should I buy 2021 RAM?

Rbertalotto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Today I'm going to look at a 2021 RAM 2500 with 6.4. Going to trade in my 2018 6.4.......Any issues with this 5th gen truck I should be aware of? Also thinking about a Ford F250 with the new 7.3 gas motor. A few friends have moved from RAM to this Ford and are raving about it. Any comments are appreciated.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Crew 4x4 RamBox
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How "new" is this motor from Ford? That right there would give you my answer. Very new = no way.

Well unless maybe you trade up every few miles.

Rbertalotto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Thanks everyone. Are there any known issues I should be aware of with the eight speed

tex68w

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
There are pros and cons to both trucks. More so than the engine I think it comes down to which truck/cab you like better. Their 7.3L and 10-speed are both fairly new and unproven in terms of longevity (the transmission in that platform only) but the same can be said for the 8-speed in the RAM. As an owner of multiples of both I can honestly say that I have always preferred the transmissions in my Ford 's over RAM's offerings but I've never owned a Super Duty with the 10-speed, only the Raptor and it was very new back then and had its teething issues.

Your money will go further with a RAM product and I feel like the dealer network and service is slightly better with the Ford, at least in my experience. Good luck getting much off of a Ford at the moment, that was a huge part of what pushed me into a RAM this time around. Aftermarket for the RAM is much better in terms of engine mods for obvious reasons and spare parts are a lot more common and readily available.

In regards to the 7.3L Godzilla motor I have heard great things from my buddies who have them. They did have the spark plug wiring harness issue, not sure if that's resolved but it seemed to plague a lot of trucks. It makes great power but it doesn't appear to get much better fuel economy than the 6.2L that came before it and if you look at Fuelly it appears to get lower numbers from users who are reporting. The RAM with the 6.4L seems to be right there with it, 12-13mpg average and my experience with the Hemi on 35's and 37's mirrored that as well.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
congrats..where did you find a dealer with some 6.4's. I look everyday here in DFW area and only find tradesmans..the few Big Horns I see are usually "on order" or "in transit" and dont seem to ever make to the lots. that's the only reason I looked at a cpl. f-250's but both that I was interested in had 5000$ up charges on them. anyhow I bet you like the truck.