Should I buy 2021 RAM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Every few years Ford messes with success and changes their engines. They have a DISMAL track record of bringing new technology, engines, transmissions to the market. They screwed up every diesel engine they ever put into a truck years ago...and still have issues with the 6.7L now. The gasser is another after thought. They stated the V6 ecoboost was going to end V8 engines..... WRONG.. they can't keep turbo's in them... Ram has been pretty consistent and typically uses proven technology in their HD trucks.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
Congrats. People really like the 8 speed 4.10 combination. I bet if when you tow the same load with it that you did your old truck you will love this transmission. BTW I have been towing TTs with the 8 speed since 2014. With a tuned ecodiesel but more torque than the 6.4. It was flawless for 700k miles then a simple solenoid failed. Unfortunately its built into the board and the dealers wanted $2,200 to fix it. I purchased one off the salvage yard locator. $1260 for one with 70k miles and low labor for the simple swap. 100k miles later its still towing daily with no issues. Hope Ford/GM's 10 speed is sorted out and holds up but it is still rather unproven.

On another note I wish Ram would open up the Hemi to its 7.0 liter 426 ci displacement capability to answer to the Godzilla and GM's new 6.6 gasser. It would hardly cost Ram anything and would not affect mileage very much. Seems like something they should have done 2 years ago.

Aelwulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I know you mentioned you're looking at a 2500, but here's my opinion on Ram's in general. I've owned a 98, 01, 03, 11 and now a 21. I liked the motor in my 03 the best, the 11 looked the best but the 21 has so much more of a comfortable, quiet ride than any of the other years I've owned. The fit and finishes on the 21 is pretty impressive as well. I believe you can't go wrong with a 21 Ram if you are considering it. I research the heck out of a vehicle before I purchase one, and I found nothing that seemed to be a complaint for the 5th Gen Rams.
FYI, I've also owned a 85 Reliant, 87 Grand Fury, 02 Durango, 19 Challenger and currently own a 72 Valiant...... so I'm kind of partial to Mopars☺

This is a pic of my 21 Ram 1500 Built to Serve edition in Tank Green.

View attachment 248035

Nice find on the wheels for matching. Or did you get the center part done? Either way nice. :)

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi
I actually had a deposit on a Ford F-150... and I'm an EX Ford technicia for 17 years.... I went with the EGO 1500 Hemi. Nicer interior, rides GREAT, awesome dash with the 12" screen & 19 speakers, love the RAM Boxes & split about 19 MPG on the highway.

RACENRAM1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The Ram 2500 with the 6.4 are hard to find, I got lucky, my local dealer just happened to unload 2 identical ones as I was passing by last week! I grabbed 1 and the other was sold the next morning. Love mine!

OP
OP
R

Rbertalotto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Hello I started this post. I've now owned my ram 6.4 for a few months. I already have 11,000 miles on it. All miles are towing an 8,000 lb toy hauler. I went from Massachusetts to Montana and back and a whole bunch of 1000 mi trips. This ram has the 410 rear end and the 8-speed German transmission. My 2018 had a 373 rear end with the 6-speed transmission. This ram returns exactly one mile per gallon less than my 2018. I'm getting a 9 mi per gallon with a 2018 got 10. Otherwise there's nearly no difference between the two vehicles. The extra two speeds in the transmission are more felt leaving a red light and towing up a hill in the 30 to 50 mph range. But on the highway there is just about no difference. So far so good no issues no complaints great truck.

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
congrats..where did you find a dealer with some 6.4's. I look everyday here in DFW area and only find tradesmans..the few Big Horns I see are usually "on order" or "in transit" and dont seem to ever make to the lots. that's the only reason I looked at a cpl. f-250's but both that I was interested in had 5000$ up charges on them. anyhow I bet you like the truck.
I ran into the same problem when I bought my new 2500 6.4 back in March. I ended up getting a Tradesman with some nice upgrades, which sat at the dealership for all of 24 hours. Love the truck!

OP
OP
R

Rbertalotto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Yes, near impossible to find a 6.4 Tradesman. This one had a ding in the door when unloading it and it was put in the back lot of the dealership until they could schedule it to be fixed. I found out about it from the salesman. It was the only one within 300 miles of Boston Ma......BUT
My 2018 had this strange surging issue that two dealerships and over 12 weeks of service couldn't salve.
This one just started doing the same thing at 9,500 miles.......There might be a Ford 7.3 in my future next year!

CRCLAUNCH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
We just got our 2021 2500 6.4 Tradesman last week and we love the truck, pulled our 8100 lbs. travel trailer just a short distance like it was not even back there… Did I say I love this truck?

So now we are looking at a 5th. wheel with a dry weight of 10757. from what I've seen we should be able to pull it 14,380 lbs.

2021 6.4 with 373 gears

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rbertalotto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
OH NO!!!!!!! I just got home from a 500 mile trip top upstate NY......And my new 2021 RAM with 6.4 is doing the same surging as my 2018 was doing!!! Same exact thing....Feels like you are on a bit of a washboard road. I stopped and filled up with 93 octane. By the second fill up with 93, it was much less, but still there. Incredibly annoying! Two dealerships and 12 weeks in shop and the 2018 was never resolved.....Here we go again.....I think a FORD 7.3 might be in my future.....Again!

RamTank_PGT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021, Prior 98, 01, 03, & 11
Engine
Nice find on the wheels for matching. Or did you get the center part done? Either way nice. :)
I actually had the center caps painted Tank Green at a body shop to match the truck. I went as.far as taking them apart if you look closer, so the 'F' stayed black. I wanted to have the wheels powdercoated to match the truck and keep the center cap black, but those "Bolt heads" are made of plastic and couldn't be put in the oven for powdercoating, so this was my only option.