Should I buy Ram?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BuxKA2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Currently owner of my second F150; it’s a 2018 F150 Platinum that has been nothing but trouble. Don’t get me wrong - it’s great when it’s working. But Ive been annoyed with the number of issues I had right out of the gate. Brake booster was bad and alert came on while driving home from dealer. Several visits later they replaced the booster; truck was in shop 3+ weeks. NO Freon from factor; 4th visit - replaced condenser and leaking line. Paint defect - repainted driver’s side front quarter panel. Vacuum system issues - replaced check valve (I have a nice YouTube video where I mounted the camera under the hood looking at the IWE actuators recording the awful noise of them trying to engage 4WD while vehicle at speed due to drop in vacuum pressure), and now the twin panel moonroof is a noisy, rattling mess.

I test drove a 2019 Ram Limited last Saturday and liked it. Since then I’ve been researching and joined this forum to get some opinions. I know (from experience, as you can see) no truck is perfect. I poked around the forum here and see some issues with new vehicles and I just don’t wanna go through that again. I assume the vast majority of these trucks are just fine.

I noticed the Ram doesn’t have a few features my F150 has but they’re not deal breakers. No power steering wheel adjuster, no fancy tailgate step, no massaging seats (they really are kind of nice) and cannot activate the front camera when pulling forward into a spot - I use that frequenty in tight spots to make sure I’m good. But the Ram has front sensors and they may suffice. A few other differences - driving modes on the F150 but not on Ram - no biggie; 36 gallon tank but can get 33 on Ram.

I can tell you without doubt that the HK 19-speaker sound system on the Ram blows away the F150 B&O system. There’s simply no comparison. The Ram seats and upholstery were great - very comfortable. Visibility was not a concern; I didn’t notice any blind spots or any difficulty with the A pillars. Ram has adaptive cruise - my favorite feature on the F150. Plenty of sensors and technology - all good on the Ram. Back seat was comfortable and spacious and had ventilation - something I don’t have on the F150. The under seat storage was better on Ram and that little storage box under the mat would be a great place to hold tie downs. Overall the interior and tech was very impressive.

Ram Limited has adaptive headlights- something I enjoyed on the two BMWs I owned; I’d welcome them back. I tow a Polaris RZR XP Turbo S - on a 12’ Trailer. Not much weight but tow capacity and features matter to me. I think Ram has me covered there.

Does Ram disable the ride height adjusters when towing? I would think so because lowering or raising the truck height could screw up the trailer linkage and tongue weight management.

Does the big sunroof on the Ram rattle a lot? I like the sunroof on the F150 but the rattle just drives me nuts. You can relate if you’ve ever had a vehicle that makes a noise you know isn’t normal - and it grates on you over time.

I think I’d be giving up gas mileage (ecoboost gets 21 mpg highway when not towing) - not sure what you’re all getting and I don’t know if ride height lowering and cylinder deactivation boost mpg.

I realize this is getting a bit long winded - I’m just hoping to hear from others that have switched to Ram from Ford or Chevy/GMC. Or maybe advice and comments on some of my comparisons here or other things I’ve overlooked.

Kind regards - BuxKA2

Johnny P

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Buy a Ram!! I had similar issues with my Ford and they Bought it Back!! LOVE MY RAM ..Just wipe it from your mind that your gonna go trouble free with a Dodge because it's a Completely new Design. I had a few issues but all seems good now.Stay away from all sunroofs in my opinion they all have issue's if not now definitely Later.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I switched from a 2016 f150 supercab xlt 2.7l eco to a crew cab 19 big Horn..in my opinion the ram has treated me far better than the Ford did. Just like you mine was in the shop quite often for various issues, driver power window would go down on it's own sporatically, passenger seat frame had to be replaced because welds broke, door locks would freeze in winter resulting in not being able to close the doors once opened..the list goes on and I only had 25kmi on it when I traded it in. The ram is superior in interior comfort, ride quality, and asthetics in my opinion. The only place the ram gives up anything to the f150 is mpgs. Even with cylinder deactivation the ram is weak on its mileage. I'm typically getting around 15-18mpg..to be expected...but the Ford had similar power and mid 20's in mileage...when I could drive it without any issues...lol. I'd switch again in a heartbeat, so if your on the fence, just think about how much drama you have with your Ford in and out of the shop frequently versus maintenance only visits and depending on what that's worth to you, make the switch. [emoji106][emoji16]

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Buy what you can afford and tolerate.
You current and past FERD owners have convinced me to buy another Ram when I'm ready to move on from this one....7 years, 83K miles still going strong.

RainDesert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was always a life Ford guy, and I do believe that up until the Aluminum bodies the Fords were the most trouble free trucks to own. Anymore they seem to have more issues than ever in all aspects of the truck.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I have been a die hard GM guy, had one Ford.
in 2011 was in the hunt for a big engine, regular cab short bed. Bought a Ram, then bought a 2015 Crew Cab, and now a 2019 Classic.
I've driven Fords, and Silverado's....always loved the Ram MUCH better.

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Yes

2016 1500 Outdoorsman 4X4 5.7L

GrumpyOleMan

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As a life long Ford fanatic, I am quite new to RAM trucks myself. My last truck was a 2013 F150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost. The only reason I even test drove the RAM was because when I was looking for a new Ford, my local dealer is a two-fer ... a Ford and Chrysler/RAM dealer, and the '19 F150's did not impress me and were too pricey for what you get. I went ahead and test drove an '19 Classic with the 3.6 V6 and it really knocked my socks off. Seriously impressed the heck out of me and was quite a bit less expensive than both a comparable Ford and "All New" RAM. I only have 2500 miles on it right now, but I do not regret it one bit.
But I do have to admit, I miss the torque of the twin turbo, but still very happy with the Pentastar.

Hope all that helps some.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
You pretty much have to go into it knowing you can have problems with a brand new Ram too, right out of the box. Especially the more options you have on it.

I like F150s too, I just don't care for the seat comfort on them today. If you live in the rust belt, no matter what you buy, you'll start having corrosion related issues around 6-8yrs. If you're diligent with getting the truck oil sprayed yearly, you can prolong this.

limited delmo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I came from a 2017 Lariat. Never owned a truck outside of Ford, but because my 17 was having so many issues I decided to try Ram. 12,000 miles in my new Ram and it's been fantastic. It's nice to have features like cooled seats that actually work like you think they should and a pano roof that doesn't rattle or break every other month.

Get the Ram and you'll soon realize how poorly the current F150 is built. My Ram has had a few issues with the 12 inch screen but most were resolved on the last over the air update and the only issues with it now are so minor I wouldn't care if they ever got fixed. Other than that it's been perfect. For gas mileage compared to my 3.5 4x4 Lariat the Ram is about 2 mpg worse.

Scottys19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETorque
I have 6500 miles on my 2019 Bighorn 5.7. I traded in my ‘06 Ram 2500 Cummins which I was the original owner. I test drove GMC, Chevy, Titan, and Tundra. I wasn’t interested in the f-150 so I can’t comment on that. By far, I liked the Ram the best. The throttle seems a little touchy with the e-Torque when taking off from a stop, but I think that’s just a matter of me still getting used to it. One little thing that I feel is weird, you can’t turn the cargo light on while driving. I like being able to see what’s going on in the bed while driving at night with cargo back there. My 8.4 screen sometimes flickers, won’t let me change from XM to AM radio, and loses the connection with my phone. It’s been flashed with an update but still does it once in a while. It has a few other little quirky things but nothing major. The comfort, quietness, and power more than make up for the little things to me. I would absolutely buy another one. Love this truck!

Sled Freak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a good buddy who came from a die hard chevy family. As long as I've known him (25yrs) its been a chevy/ram battle. So a few yrs ago he was looking for a truck. Test drove gm and ford. I badgered him to try a ram. Well he's on his second one now and loves it. And all his family has switched aswell lol.

I personally know way more ppl the have switched to rams in the last 5 yrs from the competition. Cant say i know of any that went the other way so...

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 6500 miles on my 2019 Bighorn 5.7. I traded in my ‘06 Ram 2500 Cummins which I was the original owner. I test drove GMC, Chevy, Titan, and Tundra. I wasn’t interested in the f-150 so I can’t comment on that. By far, I liked the Ram the best. The throttle seems a little touchy with the e-Torque when taking off from a stop, but I think that’s just a matter of me still getting used to it. One little thing that I feel is weird, you can’t turn the cargo light on while driving. I like being able to see what’s going on in the bed while driving at night with cargo back there. My 8.4 screen sometimes flickers, won’t let me change from XM to AM radio, and loses the connection with my phone. It’s been flashed with an update but still does it once in a while. It has a few other little quirky things but nothing major. The comfort, quietness, and power more than make up for the little things to me. I would absolutely buy another one. Love this truck!

CARGO light done on purpose so people not leave them on driving down the road and blinding driver's behind them...

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Currently owner of my second F150; it’s a 2018 F150 Platinum that has been nothing but trouble. Don’t get me wrong - it’s great when it’s working. But Ive been annoyed with the number of issues I had right out of the gate. Brake booster was bad and alert came on while driving home from dealer. Several visits later they replaced the booster; truck was in shop 3+ weeks. NO Freon from factor; 4th visit - replaced condenser and leaking line. Paint defect - repainted driver’s side front quarter panel. Vacuum system issues - replaced check valve (I have a nice YouTube video where I mounted the camera under the hood looking at the IWE actuators recording the awful noise of them trying to engage 4WD while vehicle at speed due to drop in vacuum pressure), and now the twin panel moonroof is a noisy, rattling mess.

I test drove a 2019 Ram Limited last Saturday and liked it. Since then I’ve been researching and joined this forum to get some opinions. I know (from experience, as you can see) no truck is perfect. I poked around the forum here and see some issues with new vehicles and I just don’t wanna go through that again. I assume the vast majority of these trucks are just fine.

I noticed the Ram doesn’t have a few features my F150 has but they’re not deal breakers. No power steering wheel adjuster, no fancy tailgate step, no massaging seats (they really are kind of nice) and cannot activate the front camera when pulling forward into a spot - I use that frequenty in tight spots to make sure I’m good. But the Ram has front sensors and they may suffice. A few other differences - driving modes on the F150 but not on Ram - no biggie; 36 gallon tank but can get 33 on Ram.

I can tell you without doubt that the HK 19-speaker sound system on the Ram blows away the F150 B&O system. There’s simply no comparison. The Ram seats and upholstery were great - very comfortable. Visibility was not a concern; I didn’t notice any blind spots or any difficulty with the A pillars. Ram has adaptive cruise - my favorite feature on the F150. Plenty of sensors and technology - all good on the Ram. Back seat was comfortable and spacious and had ventilation - something I don’t have on the F150. The under seat storage was better on Ram and that little storage box under the mat would be a great place to hold tie downs. Overall the interior and tech was very impressive.

Ram Limited has adaptive headlights- something I enjoyed on the two BMWs I owned; I’d welcome them back. I tow a Polaris RZR XP Turbo S - on a 12’ Trailer. Not much weight but tow capacity and features matter to me. I think Ram has me covered there.

Does Ram disable the ride height adjusters when towing? I would think so because lowering or raising the truck height could screw up the trailer linkage and tongue weight management.

Does the big sunroof on the Ram rattle a lot? I like the sunroof on the F150 but the rattle just drives me nuts. You can relate if you’ve ever had a vehicle that makes a noise you know isn’t normal - and it grates on you over time.

I think I’d be giving up gas mileage (ecoboost gets 21 mpg highway when not towing) - not sure what you’re all getting and I don’t know if ride height lowering and cylinder deactivation boost mpg.

I realize this is getting a bit long winded - I’m just hoping to hear from others that have switched to Ram from Ford or Chevy/GMC. Or maybe advice and comments on some of my comparisons here or other things I’ve overlooked.

Kind regards - BuxKA2

Your first sentence says it all. “It’s been nothing but trouble”

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6

Kind regards - BuxKA2

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
I converted the other way. I had two 2016 Ecodiesels that were just turds. One was in the shop 27 out of 30 days. Electrical and engines. Rep came in and told me how the cow ate the cabbage. I told him I drive 70k+ a year and if their trucks can't hold up to that, he stopped me. Said he was going to put me into a hemi Limited to replace my ecodiesel Limited and about 20k cash difference for the 30k miles. Told him I was going to drive a Ford. Dealer laughed and I walked out, drove to the Ford dealership and bought a Platinum F150. Just a side note, the cover and bed slider moved from the Ram to the Ford. Put 40k on that one and bought a King Ranch. Ford has it won when it comes to a luxury pickup. Ecoboost and 22mpg. Came with Michelins. Ram would have to work real hard to convert me back. I wish they could make a truck that would go 30k and not explode when being driven at highway speeds.

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6

Kind regards - BuxKA2
Absolutely buy a Ram now.

dputnam01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel
Convert here as well. Went from F350 to the RAM 3500. Another push was that I wanted Manual transmission, so I factory ordered what I wanted. It's a great ride.

pat leary

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pennstar 3.6
I've owned two Ram trucks and both have been excellent,my 2017 was a tradesman with a 3.6 pennstar.That got great mpg,bettet than my tacoma .I then puchased a 2018 ram big horn,with a 3.92 rearend and a 5.7 hemi 395 hp.I purchase this to pull a bigger trailer.I never had a single problem,you gotto love it!