Should i buy this truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The current market just sucks for vehicle buyers. I don't sympathize with the dealers but they have to keep their doors open, inventory is down as are sales. They are, in some ways, forced to do the ADM thing to maintain revenue and take up the slack caused by slow sales.

That being said, some of them are going way to far on new and used vehicle prices IMHO.

mkhaydn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Try Yellowstone Country Motors in Montana they beat Dave Smith by $3,500 I ordered a 3500 loaded up, but its a long wait for the HD's

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
So I've spent 3 months trying to get a 2500 or 3500. First 2500 I put money down on back in March is still sitting in Saltillo. I gave up on that one. Got my money back and put it down on one that's actually on a train, due in a couple weeks. Money is refundable. They wanted MSRP on both, I can live with that. Another dealer just called and just got delivered a 3500 dually which I prefer anyway for towing my 5th wheel. Problem is they want 12000 over MSRP. I don't really need the truck for a while. With as hard as they are to get is 12000 worth it? I'm thinking about just waiting and ordering a 23. But this 3500 has everything I want on a truck. Just would like some feed back before I jump.....or not.

Thanks for any input

Tell the dealer to look at the stock market; he'll be holding that truck for awhile.

Offer him under MSRP.

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I've spent 3 months trying to get a 2500 or 3500. First 2500 I put money down on back in March is still sitting in Saltillo. I gave up on that one. Got my money back and put it down on one that's actually on a train, due in a couple weeks. Money is refundable. They wanted MSRP on both, I can live with that. Another dealer just called and just got delivered a 3500 dually which I prefer anyway for towing my 5th wheel. Problem is they want 12000 over MSRP. I don't really need the truck for a while. With as hard as they are to get is 12000 worth it? I'm thinking about just waiting and ordering a 23. But this 3500 has everything I want on a truck. Just would like some feed back before I jump.....or not.

Thanks for any input
I’ll answer your question with a question of my own: why pay those slime balls $12k over msrp just because? The msrp on one like you speak of is somewhere in the $80’sk. They come with about a $15k markup. That’s the difference between msrp and invoice price. So you add another $12k on top of that, it means that there’s almost $30k in just profit for the dealer! In other words, if you’re the sales person that sells that truck, you made approximately $5k just on this one sell. Why? It’s a bit complicated but I’ll quickly break it down. Salesman get about 10-25% of the profit (invoice/msrp) depending upon how many units they’ve moved that month. PLUS Chrysler (or any manufacture with which you sell their new car) sends the salesman money at the end of the month for selling their brand. What I would do if I were you is simply look in the Chrysler website and see which dealer has what you’re looking for throughout the USA. When you find the dealer, call them and ask them that if they’re willing to sell their unit at msrp & if they are, tell them you’d like it in writing emailed to you. Make sure you both agree on a final price & both you and the sales manager sign that document! Obviously keep a copy for yourself and then fly first class over to them, eat a great steak and you’ll still have about $5k (from the $12k you were willing to initially pay over msrp) after you drive your new truck home (even with these crazy ass fuel prices). Hope I could help

Last edited:

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Just sit tight. All the trucks on the order sheets are going to be coming in and with the interest rates and Fed forced recession coming, dealers will be begging for buyers in the fall.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I would NEVER pay over MSRP! I was actually kicking myself because I only got $6,500 below MSRP when I ordered my truck in February. But on the bright side I got a lot more for my trade in than I would in a normal market so I think I did alright. Just about got what I paid out the door for it 6 1/2 years ago. Weird times we are in. Since you don't have to have a truck just yet, I would wait until a better deal comes along.

OP
OP
N

Nibenza

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Yes I just gave up on finding a 2022. They did call back and offered to drop it 5 Gs. I told them to stick it. Another dealer called said hey we are dropping our prices to get ready for the 23s. Uhhhh sure. I'm thinking the economy. I told em I'm getting ready for the 23s too so I can order what I want. Anyone know of a reputable dealer in the Portland/Salem areas. I'll be moved down by the time I order one. I would prefer dealing with someone somebody here has had a good experience with. By the way thanks everyone for the replies.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Yes I just gave up on finding a 2022. They did call back and offered to drop it 5 Gs. I told them to stick it. Another dealer called said hey we are dropping our prices to get ready for the 23s. Uhhhh sure. I'm thinking the economy. I told em I'm getting ready for the 23s too so I can order what I want. Anyone know of a reputable dealer in the Portland/Salem areas. I'll be moved down by the time I order one. I would prefer dealing with someone somebody here has had a good experience with. By the way thanks everyone for the replies.
I live in the west side of Portland metro area and so far have not found one I would buy from, that is why I went to Dave Smith in ID to buy my 22...

OP
OP
N

Nibenza

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I had a good experience with DS the first go round 20 years ago or so, not so much this time around. Although not just their fault in being able to locate my truck for 2 months I got more info here than they would give me. That and and issue getting some money back. They weren't bad per se, but I'd give them about a B- rating. That and I'd just like to deal locally.

OP
OP
N

Nibenza

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I did get a referral by the way with someone that had a good experience locally, I'll be checking them out.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I had a good experience with DS the first go round 20 years ago or so, not so much this time around. Although not just their fault in being able to locate my truck for 2 months I got more info here than they would give me. That and and issue getting some money back. They weren't bad per se, but I'd give them about a B- rating. That and I'd just like to deal locally.
My salesman was able to tell me where my truck was with in the last 8 hours an did so every time I asked while in transit, that is once it left MX.