Should I go back to stock size tires/wheels or the taller ones I have now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I want to change my wheels tires as I'm tired of what I have now and to get this particular wheel.
https://www.tiresandwheels.com/product.php?item_id=387483&c-vid=157481
They have them in both, my stock size or current taller size.

I haven't decided which tires size/type/brand to go with those wheels yet. So looking for suggestions.
I don't off road much, but do go on some rough gravel roads with potholes to get to a remote lake I like for our annual week long vacation towing our Other than that, mostly local street driving.

This is the stock size
265/70R17 SL

And this is the current size I got when I bought the Ram a few years ago.
275/60R20 115S

Oh yeah, I'll be towing a 3,000lb 2015 Starcraft AR-ONE 14RB 2-3 times every summer.

I wouldn't mind going with a wider tire in either wheel size.

No hurries as I want to do this right by April/May.

My Ram 1500 is in my signature.

Attachments

• 145515a-900px.jpg
    145515a-900px.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 080649a-900px.jpg
    080649a-900px.jpg
    550.8 KB · Views: 7

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tough call. Just curious what are some of the reasons why you might want to go smaller or stay the same? Looks/Performance/etc?

The 2nd pkg is about 1.5" taller (I'm sure you know) ..but width is only 1/4" wider. You can re-program your speedometer to compensate, which you probably know or have done. About the only thing major factor I can think of would be looks. Personally I always thought the stock Ram wheels/tires look a tad small in the bigger wheel opening. But that's just me. I think it comes down to personal preference. You could always choose a size in between too, I guess.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jack67

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tough call. Just curious what are some of the reasons why you might want to go smaller or stay the same? Looks/Performance/etc?

The 2nd pkg is about 1.5" taller (I'm sure you know) ..but width is only 1/4" wider. You can re-program your speedometer to compensate, which you probably know or have done. About the only thing major factor I can think of would be looks. Personally I always thought the stock Ram wheels/tires look a tad small in the bigger wheel opening. But that's just me. I think it comes down to personal preference. You could always choose a size in between too, I guess.
Both, looks and performance for towing from time to time. I do like the taller look that helps fill out the fender wells. Maybe a bit wider tire at that size than I have now?

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Both, looks and performance for towing from time to time. I do like the taller look that helps fill out the fender wells. Maybe a bit wider tire at that size than I have now?

Narrow tires will net the best performance for towing and mpg. I would stick to oem size maybe a touch bigger if your worried about that.

Dredger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Sharp looking wheels no matter what tire you wrap them with. Great choice!