Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should you replace rotors with every break job

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by APPsBeast, Sep 9, 2020.

Sponsored By: BAK Factory Outlet
  1. JS4024

JS4024 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    All due to the engine brake. I never had to touch the brakes until I was below 20mph. I had 92k on mine and just decided to get them done preemptively

2. Rick Gabler

Rick Gabler Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.6L V-6
    Never have changed rotors at such an early age. If you trust your mechanic like I do, I’d take their advice. Rotors last a long time. I’m easy on breaks though. I let my vehicles gradually slow down on its own. I pump the brakes as well. In other words, I’m ez on brakes.

Gr8bawana likes this.
  3. Doug Steinbach

Doug Steinbach Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins 6.7
    40k? I did my first brake pad replacement at 237k and the rotor were fine, though I replaced 30k later when I had a seal leak.

Gr8bawana likes this.
  4. studeblu

studeblu Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins 6.7
    I have been a Mechanic for over 50 years and owned my own shop for many of those. When doing brake work I would never replace rotors unless they had been warped or grooved so bad that they could not be machined. When I did need to replace them I would always get top quality factory rotors.
    If buying the cheap chinese rotors they should take a light cut on a lathe to true them up.

jr27236, Gr8bawana and indept like this.
  5. Fitz-0518

Fitz-0518 Veteran 66-68 Military

Ram Year:
    2018 2500. 2018 1500
    Engine:
    6.4 3.6
    ^^^^^^Amen fully agree. When I do replace the factory rotors, I go with the high carbon steel, severe duty rotors.

Dodge 1500 4X4 and indept like this.
  6. Robeffy

Robeffy Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    LOL, been driving for almost 40 years. Likely replaced my rotors 3 times, maybe less? I am obviously not hard on brakes.

Gr8bawana likes this.
  7. Jim2015RAM

Jim2015RAM Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I am not hard on brakes. Even though I pull my 8,000 lb race trailer almost every week in the summer. Mixed with highway driving empty. My 2015 RAM 1500 has 53,000 miles on it and I just checked the brake pad thickness, 0.30" to 0.35" And the rotors look nice too.

Gr8bawana likes this.
  8. Timsdually

Timsdually Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins
    I just had the rears done on my '17. They also put on new rotors. 44,000 miles. I am hard on brakes. When you stop and think about it from a production stand point for a shop, turning rotors is a waste of time. You can swap out rotors with new in way less time than it takes to turn them on a brake lathe. That means you finish the brake job faster and get another vehicle in the bay.

Sherman Bird likes this.
  9. AE5548

AE5548 Senior Member Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Rear pads and rotors at 44k??? What kind of truck? do you just drive around with your left foot on the brake pedal? How is that possible unless you’re towing daily. I’m on my third 1500 and have done rears once. At 120k. And they weren’t even grinding.

As for turning vs replacing, your logic is backwards. For starters, you’re banking on the customer wanting to pay the added price for new rotors vs a charge to turn the current set which is always cheaper. Sure, replacing vs turning will get the vehicle done quicker if you have the rotors on hand. But if you have to order rotors from the local parts house then the “saving time” idea goes out the window. And let’s not forget turning rotors on your lathe nets more of a labor profit than the markup on a set of new rotors. And it also means not having to stock or order a set of rotors. So less inventory and waiting on parts. You can turn a set of rotors in less than 20 minutes. Doubtful the local parts house runner will get you a set delivered before you’ve removed, cut and replaced the existing rotors. A lot of shops own lathes that can cut rotors still on the vehicle now as well. Making things even faster.

In the end it comes down to your shops ethics. Are they selling customers parts they don’t need in the interest of getting more vehicles in? Or are they going to offer the customer the services they actually need.

Gr8bawana likes this.
  10. Timsdually

Timsdually Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins
    I am hard on brakes. Lots of stop and go traffic. Tow a cargo trailer half the week. Truck is 3500 dually with Aisin.
    My BIL owns a shop (not where I take my truck) and there are so many parts runners here for suppliers if you order a part it gets delivered pronto. rare to have something on back order.
    If I am the mechanic I can take off the rotor and put a new one back on and be done with the brake job while the lathe is still turning.
    I am in the camp of why put new pads on old rotors. There will be some kind of glaze at the very least or even some out of round. Start fresh.

I did mention my view point as being from a "production standpoint" for the shop.

Fitz-0518 likes this.