Shudder/vibration at low speed turning or backing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tried to get the issue to repeat itself. It magically went away.

OP
OP
Mountaineer83

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well guys. My truck has 9500 miles total with 500 being on my new 4:88’s.

when turning I get a shutter from the rear end. Only slow tight turns. So is the additive that we shouldn’t need the answer?

It has helped mine. My shop said it isn't needed, but wouldn't hurt so I added it. It is still smooth right now, even when towing.

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s back again lol. I’m thinking the increased gear ratio is making the limited slip engagement noticeable.

Lakeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My 2017 2500 has been doing this from day one, 43000 miles have complained to 2 dealers and was told its normal. In the last couple of months I've been hearing a chirping sound from the tires on occasion when make turns where I don't stop, reminds me of a Detroit Locker had in a Mustang. Any corporate people monitor this forum?

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
My 2017 2500 has been doing this from day one, 43000 miles have complained to 2 dealers and was told its normal. In the last couple of months I've been hearing a chirping sound from the tires on occasion when make turns where I don't stop, reminds me of a Detroit Locker had in a Mustang. Any corporate people monitor this forum?

Hi @Lakeman - When did you last address this with your dealer? Please do not hesitate to send us a private message for further support!

Mark
RamCares

Lakeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just about everytime I took it in for my oil change I would mention it to see if they had any bulletins or news on it. But it has been over 6 months since I had it in for an oil change because I have decided to do it myself because of oil change issues at the dealership.
Where I live now we have one dealership in town and the same owner owns all the Dodge dealerships in the towns around me. I have to drive 2 1/2 hours to Lexington, KY to visit a different dealer. Oil change issues were they never cleaned their mess up, "oil all over from changing oil filter and over filling". Multiple times I complained to Service manager and told them I have the oil filter screw in plug they could use but they didn't and the last time I took it in I told the service writer before the oil change and when I went to pay the bill they had charged me for a can of brake clean to try and take care of the mess they made. Its just easier for me to do it and do it right even though it will void the aftermarket lifetime powertrain warranty the dealer provided when I bought the vehicle.

I'll gladly take it up to Lexington if I could get some assurance the issued would be addressed.

Thanks, sorry for the rant!

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I wonder if this is why Ram now uses a clutch type LSD in the HD trucks. My 2019 is smooth and quiet.

ajparry89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
brining this back. 2016 2500 6.4L, 115k. same thing going on. i bought this truck back in march 2022, and noticed it ever since then, but wasnt too bad. but recently has been getting a little worse, and today, i noticed that when making a sharp right turn from a stop, like in a parking lot, I actually got a little tiny bit of tire screech from the rear. I am going to try changing the fluid and adding the additive. I have checked fluids before, and they have been very clean. but maybe someone previously put the wrong fluid in, who knows!

so, I scanned this whole thread, and didnt find anybody commenting on:
1. what SPECIFIC weight fluid they use, and a SPECIFIC brand, if not mopar.
2. what SPECIVIC additive and SPECIFIC brand, if any?

if anybody could comment on that, would be helpful, thanks!

pinman336

Reaction score
Ram Year
I too suffered from the “shudder” while turning at low speeds. I changed my rear diff fluid with 6.5qts of amsoil severe gear with two 4oz tubes of slip lock. I also installed a mag hytec cover which holds an extra couple of qts. The cover was not necessary but an upgrade. I did some figure 8’s in a parking lot at a slow speed, this helps to work that slip lock into the clutches. The “shudder” while turning at low speeds has since gone away. Fairly easy fix.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yep same here. After I changed the rear diff fluid mine developed a shutter that I couldn’t figure out so I got to researching possible causes. I could have sworn it was a bad u-joint but after reading about adding the lube guard shutter fix I tried it figuring why not it’s not going to hurt. Lo and behold the shutter went away. These rear diffs aren’t suppose to have it but it sure fixed mine.

Mitchell76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know this is an old post and forgive me for resurrecting it. I have a 2021 power wagon. At a stop, when turn at full lock or pretty hard it has a vibration in the front end. Doesn’t matter if I am turning right or left. The dealer has changed numerous parts including hub, axles, bearings, disconnect collar, and track bar to name a few. This has been on going since last September. The dealer has not been able to fix it. They had at on point reached out to ram for help. The truck has been there since January 3. I have opened a case with customer care. The case manager does not return my calls and only one email concerning a part that was on back order. That part is the leather dash topper that is bubbling and buckling. I was asking for a regional tech to come in and help fix the truck. I have had no luck making any head way. My question is, have any of you had any luck getting ram to help you and if so how? I would take it to another dealer but the 3 year warranty aged out while sitting at the dealership. I have consulted with an attorney but have not retained them at this point.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hi there Mitchell,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Our team would like to look into this for you and see what we can do to help. Please private message us with details of your concerns, so we can best assist you.

Gia
Ram Cares

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956