Shudder when coming to a stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pjc87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve got a 2011 ram 1500 outdoorsman crew cab short bed.
Last couple of days, I’ve noticed that when I’m coming to a complete stop the last couple seconds before I’m stopped I hear and feel a slight vibration/shudder coming from the truck.
I’m kind of leaning towards a u-joint on the rear driveshaft?
Just looking for some opinions and seeing if anyone else has encountered this.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
5 or 6 speed, what gearing do you have? Could be low rpm shudder...

could be rotors as well, only happens with brakes, never w/o brakes?

OP
OP
P

Pjc87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s not related to the brakes cause I don’t have to be stepping on the brakes for it to happen.
Just the last few seconds of slowing down to a stop I get a little shudder/ vibration that you can feel coming up through the floor and if something is in the cup holder it will vibrate a little bit.
Hard to explain but it’s the last few seconds while the truck is still moving before being stopped it’s a little womp womp womp noise that you can hear and feel

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Did you use Slime to fix a flat recently?
That stuff can bunch up in one section of the tire and cause that sound.

OP
OP
P

Pjc87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you use Slime to fix a flat recently?
That stuff can bunch up in one section of the tire and cause that sound.
No, brand new tires, no flats or anything like that with them yet.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'd get under and just shake things around like exhaust & driveshaft for any obvious similar sound.
There's also a frame vibration damper that looks like a one lb coffee can, see if that's loose.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Did you miss my question? Anyhow, try driving in tow haul and report if that cured it. TH will take out low rpm's, no more low rpm shudder.

Another question, did this start before new tires or just after?

OP
OP
P

Pjc87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you miss my question? Anyhow, try driving in tow haul and report if that cured it. TH will take out low rpm's, no more low rpm shudder.

Another question, did this start before new tires or just after?
Sorry burla, it’s a 5 speed auto with the 3.92 diff’s
And it just started a couple of days ago, been running The new tires about 9 months now.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Sorry burla, it’s a 5 speed auto with the 3.92 diff’s
And it just started a couple of days ago, been running The new tires about 9 months now.
The 545 is notorious for low rpm shudder, I say that because I had shudder and my fix was to drive in tow haul for 7 years to fix it. For me it was 3rd and 4th gear low rpm's. Maybe you can try letting those gears go to low rpm and see if any of this happens. It could be something else for sure, but I would be exploring the low rpm angle a bit.

OP
OP
P

Pjc87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 545 is notorious for low rpm shudder, I say that because I had shudder and my fix was to drive in tow haul for 7 years to fix it. For me it was 3rd and 4th gear low rpm's. Maybe you can try letting those gears go to low rpm and see if any of this happens. It could be something else for sure, but I would be exploring the low rpm angle a bit.
I had serviced the transmission myself with new filters and fluids when I first got it with 100k miles on it, I could tell someone else had done prior to me cause if the rtv all over the pan.
I’ve serviced the diff’s with synthetic gear oil, serviced the t-case with fresh fluid.
I put the truck in nuetral and grabbed the driveshaft and only play I feel is a little at the slip yoke going into the back of the t-case.
I’ve been told the u-joints can seize and cause the little shudders and vibrations and still appear to be tight when everything is bolted up.
I guess since they are the factory u-joints with 113k miles on them I’ll try changing them out with some spicer u-joints, but before I do that I will drive with the tow haul mode on and see if it still does it.