Signs of being in a flood?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zeppy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I bought a 2014 Sport CC 2 weeks ago. The truck came from Texas and looks like new compared to the typical 2014 from New England. Since day one I have had progressively worsening issues mostly with the Uconnect/head unit and LED map lights. I realize that these are very common problems however, when I took the dash apart, there is some rust behind the radio/HVAC controls. Then I started looking around more, there is a fair amount of rust under the seats but the carpet seems very clean and the USBs and charger sockets appear to function, just when I started to think I was being ridiculous, I found a pen behind the back seat that was very wet, then I opened the under seat storage and the bottom is VERY wet. I tried to compare it to my 2006 Laramie, this is a New England truck and the exterior has plenty of rust but the under seat area has less rust than the 2014. This may be due to the fact that the 06 seems to have more components that are painted/treated. I didn't open the radio/HVAC controls area to see how that compared, maybe this weekend.
Overall the interior and exterior are very clean. Anybody have any insight on flooded vehicles? Regardless, this Uconnect/Head unit issue is maddening!

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a 2014 Sport CC 2 weeks ago. The truck came from Texas and looks like new compared to the typical 2014 from New England. Since day one I have had progressively worsening issues mostly with the Uconnect/head unit and LED map lights. I realize that these are very common problems however, when I took the dash apart, there is some rust behind the radio/HVAC controls. Then I started looking around more, there is a fair amount of rust under the seats but the carpet seems very clean and the USBs and charger sockets appear to function, just when I started to think I was being ridiculous, I found a pen behind the back seat that was very wet, then I opened the under seat storage and the bottom is VERY wet. I tried to compare it to my 2006 Laramie, this is a New England truck and the exterior has plenty of rust but the under seat area has less rust than the 2014. This may be due to the fact that the 06 seems to have more components that are painted/treated. I didn't open the radio/HVAC controls area to see how that compared, maybe this weekend.
Overall the interior and exterior are very clean. Anybody have any insight on flooded vehicles? Regardless, this Uconnect/Head unit issue is maddening!

Perhaps the high-mounted third brake light housing or the rear cab vent are leaking (one or both), to cause the water under the rear seats?

If so, then increased humidity inside the vehicle (when parked with the windows closed) could cause the surface rust you described?

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The wetness you found in the rear storage and behind the rear seat were more likely from a leak in the third brake light and/or rear window. I highly doubt you would still find wetness from flood damage considering the time factor since you bought it.

OP
OP
Zeppy

Zeppy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
That makes sense, we have had a fair amount of rain the last two days. I guess I should look into fixing that, is it odd that I didn't find any water at the back base of the cab? Here is a picture of some of the rust behind the radio, is that typical?
PXL_20221207_191413433.jpg

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The water under the rear seat is probably from the rear cab vents. But that is a lot of rust behind the radio I would say. Then again if it's been wet and humid inside for awhile who knows what all could be rusty.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If they live along the TX coast, and near the beach, there can be rust just from the air. For example, North/South Padre Island. Do you have any idea where the truck was registered, serviced?

Also, my 3rd Gen Ram had rust under the dash, very similar to your picture, but never had any flood damage. It was in the NE. Another possibility for under the dash is, it could have been from an issue with the heater core (where my last truck and a leak).

Not saying there isn't flood damage.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Back in the late 1950s, we had a flood along a large river, 1000s of cars & trucks were caught up in it.
My Uncle would find a vehicle that had no body damage, then did the research to find out who it belonged to.
He bought a few of them & brought then out to the farm.

We hosed them off, pulled the seats & other upholstery
found replacements at some wrecking yards.
Changed fluids & got them running & sold them as Flood Vehicles.
I would lift the fuse box up & check the underside, they may have used a hose & shop vac under there, or not

Last edited:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Spend a couple hundred dollars and have an inspection done from an experienced person if you really want to know if it's been flooded. I have a close friend that has been in the auto inspection biz for years and he can tell you more about a vehicle after 5 minutes than I could after crawling around it for 8 hours. It's like your job - could I walk up and do it in a couple minutes?

Mrbyh20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m sure it’s not unknown but carfax can be of help and would list the Incidence especially if the prior owners insurance had been involved. The report will list number of prior owners etc and I know there pretty good at noting the service work and other things having been done to the vehicle by date and mileage. I find it convenient in seeing where the used vehicles I’ve bought in the past have been before me. Guess I’m nosey. Lol. I’d also think it would be a salvage title if insurance company consider it totaled. Then if it has a salvage title, many states won’t register/title these vehicles because of possible drivability concerns and insurance companies might not want to insure it. Also not all minor information is reported to the carfax and is not a guarantee to be a complete record of the vehicles past but I’ve found it to be useful. Just a thought or two just in case it might be an overlooked tool in our toolbox on the vehicles history.

And as others have said, the third brake lights are notorious with leaking on our rams for whatever reason. Even brand new. I’ve yet to have the issue myself but on other threads I’ve seen it talked about quite a bit so it must be common.

I’ve never looked or torn my vehicles apart no matter how minor, most will think, to know about rust behind what can’t be seen from the drivers seat, but to me and my non-expert opinion that’s a fair amount of rust. I’m glad others have said it can be normal. That’s a relief.

Hopefully you’ll soon get all the bugs worked out and your able to enjoy your truck. I’m very happy with all my rams.

Last edited:

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Pull the front kick panels and inspect for mud , sand , rust or anything out of ordinary. Check for stains on any insulation you see .

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lots of flood cars come out of Houston. Houston is a fish bowl in heavy rains.

Mrbyh20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Houston is certainly a high contributor of flooded vehicles. Louisiana and Alabama or basically that whole part of the country are bad. I’ve read or seen somewhere about 80% or most of the flooded vehicles get shipped overseas to the unexpected countries.

PoconoJoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We had the third brake light leak. The recessed cubbies under the rear seat were full of water and of course the rear carpet was all wet.

I imagine if left for a while other steel parts of the interior might rust from the humidity.

I think if you had flood damage you might have electrical problems. There's wires under the seats, under the door sill plates, in the doors, etc... Water is not kind to unprotected interior electrical wiring.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you checked inside the glovebox for traces, or inside the box?

1670712923218.png

LOL ...sorry for being a smart ****.. Couldn't help myself. Usually a guy can find fine silt in certain nooks and crannies around or inside the frame (use a borescope).

Last edited:

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Spend a couple hundred dollars and have an inspection done from an experienced person if you really want to know if it's been flooded. I have a close friend that has been in the auto inspection biz for years and he can tell you more about a vehicle after 5 minutes than I could after crawling around it for 8 hours. It's like your job - could I walk up and do it in a couple minutes?
Will you PLEASE stop making Sense?

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Op, rust you show ain't jack.
Looks like 3rd b rake light, shark fin or something else allowing water into your truck.

Flood cars do not have mickey mouse issues you are dealing with. They are far more serious and involve onboard computers, connections, increased wire resistance, dropped current, etc. Not a wonky radio that can be easily replaced. Map lights would tend to suggest roof leak. So check the 3rd brake light, shark fin, if ya got it, or rear window.

My Money is on 3rd brake light gasket.

If truly want to know, take it to a quality body shop. Even an honest used car man can tell ya, at a glance. No need for ripping panels apart. It's pretty obvious, just by casual observation.

Can always buy bulk rice, form Sams Club or Costco, let it sit in the truck, toss in a $1 tree humidity sensor and dry things out.
If it get moist again, after a rain, you will know it wasn;t aflood that caused it, this time.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
looks like a sardine to me.
I havn't had any problems, but we don't get a lot of rain and it sits in garage.
If you took it to a automatic car wash , with the hi pressure overhead things ot even a do it your self, should see if water is coming in if the back seat was out, or even is head liner got damp.