Silly diesel cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

geekything

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecoDiesel 3.0L V6
What's with the flimsy green tank cap? I can understand it on the DEF spout given that doesn't get filled up much but on the main fuel spout?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yup...got rid of mine and got a nice aluminum locking one from Geno's Garage.

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
MIne didn't even come with the flimsy green cap. I also bought the aluminum one

Typetwelve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
Dumb question...but does the system really need one? I chucked that green plastic cap back in Jan of 2018...haven't ran one since.

OP
OP
G

geekything

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecoDiesel 3.0L V6
Dumb question...but does the system really need one? I chucked that green plastic cap back in Jan of 2018...haven't ran one since.

I just found a video that heavily insinuates that you don't need the green cap. The outside flap of the fuel tank has a rubber liner to stop things getting in, and the metal flap is supposed to moderately seal the tank (diesel doesn't have the nasty quirk of not running when the gas cap is off!).

I'd still like one of those aluminum caps, though. I don't mind keeping the crappy plastic one on DEF.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
From what I've read you don't need one for the fuel system to function properly.

I wanted one to keep the fuel thieves out of my truck.

Raymond1050

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
eco diesel 3.0
You guys know there is a second flap in the filler pipe.

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love how people go nuts cause there are no caps etc.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
I love how people go nuts cause there are no caps etc.

I installed caps in mine right after I bought it. I drive in fields and dirt roads frequently. I have seen the dust, dirt, mud and snow and ice that accumulates in that pocket.
I know that having a cap has keep crap from getting into my fuel and def tanks.

OP
OP
G

geekything

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecoDiesel 3.0L V6
I installed caps in mine right after I bought it. I drive in fields and dirt roads frequently. I have seen the dust, dirt, mud and snow and ice that accumulates in that pocket.
I know that having a cap has keep crap from getting into my fuel and def tanks.

I'm in Ontario, land of road salt. I absolutely guarantee that some would manage to find it's way into my tank even with the rubber seal on the fuel flap!

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
I'm in Ontario, land of road salt. I absolutely guarantee that some would manage to find it's way into my tank even with the rubber seal on the fuel flap!
There is a second flap in the filler neck that keeps stuff from getting in your tank. Never a bad thing to be careful though. That's why I bought the aluminum one :)

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea, but anything on the first cap that falls thru or gets knocked in by the filler pipe is going to get in, and melted snow and slush splashed up of the road that gets past the filler door has a good chance of getting in the tank.

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
Yea, but anything on the first cap that falls thru or gets knocked in by the filler pipe is going to get in, and melted snow and slush splashed up of the road that gets past the filler door has a good chance of getting in the tank.
Except that there is a second flap in the filler neck (Not the DEF neck. Always keep a cap on that!) that keeps crud from getting in there, and I'm not counting the filler door

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Except that there is a second flap in the filler neck (Not the DEF neck. Always keep a cap on that!) that keeps crud from getting in there, and I'm not counting the filler door
Yea but the filler pipe is knocking both those flaps open and anything in there is going in the tank.

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
Yea but the filler pipe is knocking both those flaps open and anything in there is going in the tank.
The second flap has an opening that is supposed to dump out the crud while keeping it out of the tank. That's the design idea anyway