Silver Truck with Chrome bumpers and black running boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GOATram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am in the process of negotiating a deal on a silver truck with chrome bumpers. It does not have any running boards. I am thinking of adding black running boards. Would it look awkward to have black running boards since I have chrome bumpers and door handles? Opinions please.. thanks.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Get stainless steps to keep the theme going

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road package

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Please educate me a little bit - is there a difference between chrome and stainless?

Yes the stainless won’t rust or corrode like the chrome will. When looking at stainless look at polished stainless it shines better than chrome. I’m a retired truck driver and most of the “chrome” you see on a big truck is actually polished stainless.
Polished stainless doesn’t take much maintenance like chrome and has a smoother finish

b-rock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am glad I am not the only one who has had trouble with this decision. With my truck being black with chrome bumpers and door handles, I plan to put steps on it and pondered for quite a bit on whether to put chrome/stainless or black steps on.

I have not gotten the steps yet, but as the truck sits today, I am pretty sure I would get chrome/stainless. However, when/if I get new wheels, that may affect which steps I would want.

Ugh, RAM modding problems!!!

2017 RAM 1500 CC, LoneStar, Black Pearl

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I am glad I am not the only one who has had trouble with this decision. With my truck being black with chrome bumpers and door handles, I plan to put steps on it and pondered for quite a bit on whether to put chrome/stainless or black steps on.

I have not gotten the steps yet, but as the truck sits today, I am pretty sure I would get chrome/stainless. However, when/if I get new wheels, that may affect which steps I would want.

Ugh, RAM modding problems!!!

Def polished stainless on the black especially if there’s a metal flake or metallic in the paint

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here's mine with black and chrome ends on them.

IMG_0790.jpg

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
As for my truck;
Chrome wheel-to-wheel side steps have black step pads. Bumpers are chrome. Valance above the front bumper is black. Mud flaps are black. Door handles are black. Bed liner is black. Receiver hitch is black.
I think the combination of chrome & black distributed over the truck goes well with the silver paint. When I add a grille guard, it will be all black which I think will look good with the mix of chrome and black on the front.
I think that a board/step with at least a mix of chrome/stainless and black would make for a nice contrast on your truck. Sometimes too much black or too much chrome doesn't look right to me.

b-rock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Def polished stainless on the black especially if there’s a metal flake or metallic in the paint

Its Black Pearl which has a lot of metallic flake.

BriamH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here's another pic of the mopar steps.

full

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L
It depends. Many of us feel we have too much chrome and have been swapping for black emblems. So if you planning that as well, black running boards may be a good option.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

GOATram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It depends. Many of us feel we have too much chrome and have been swapping for black emblems. So if you planning that as well, black running boards may be a good option.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Ideally, I like to have black running boards and some black wheels and color matched bumpers. I am assuming it will be too difficult to color match the bumpers without spending top $$.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chrome/stainless is a lot easier to take care of. Color matched bumpers are great when they're new but eventually will end up getting scratched,pitted,etc without some kind of extra protection. Blacked out stuff will fade over time too. A lot of folks don't like the chrome clad wheels but they last like a mother...... with just the occasional wash with soap and water.

OP
OP
G

GOATram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Chrome/stainless is a lot easier to take care of. Color matched bumpers are great when they're new but eventually will end up getting scratched,pitted,etc without some kind of extra protection. Blacked out stuff will fade over time too. A lot of folks don't like the chrome clad wheels but they last like a mother...... with just the occasional wash with soap and water.

That's information that may change my mind about going black. Didn't know that chrome lasted longer. Although I don't like chrome I have to admit that with the 2019 model chrome blends in well with many of the color choices. I do like chrome with billet silver, red, and even white. I may have to think about it now.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Scott pic is better then mine but I do have the same OEM Chrome boards as he does ! Like you my debate was Black or Chrome ! I am glad I went chrome ! My buddies Silverado has Chrome bumpers but Black boards and it also looks good to me but still IMO Chrome w/Black caps just follows the line of the front and rear bumpers.. I also like the OEM better then aftermarket!

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's information that may change my mind about going black. Didn't know that chrome lasted longer. Although I don't like chrome I have to admit that with the 2019 model chrome blends in well with many of the color choices. I do like chrome with billet silver, red, and even white. I may have to think about it now.

Depending on how long you are going to keep the truck I wouldn't worry about the color match. I don't know at what point the color matched bumpers are supposed to get pitted/scratched/chipped, but my last 2 trucks have been color matched and after 6 years with each, with no protection, there is no damage at all. Never had to touch anything up on either of them.