Single Action Revolvers

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Shawn226, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Shawn226

Shawn226 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0L EcoDiesel
    black powder and cartridge pieces alike, I love the cowboy action revolvers and lever action rifles, and wanted to see who all shared this love as well! Let’s get a topic going to kick off!

Do you load 5 and rest on the empty or do you load 6 and rest between chambers?

I have a 1851 Navy .36cal and I’m looking to buy a Remington 1858 .44cal in the near future

2. Fatbob Frank

Fatbob Frank Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L
    I like em too but have gotten out of black powder.
    I bought a brand new steel frame 1858 .44 from Cabelas about 10 years ago with the intention of getting a .45 colt conversion cylinder for it.
    Ended up buying an Uberti 1875 No.3 Schofield instead so I never did anything with it.
    It's still untouched in the box if you want it...

3. Fatbob Frank

Fatbob Frank Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L
    I typically load all 6 on the 1858s I've had in the past.
    They have a good notch in between the cylinder nipples for a hammer rest that makes a good safety.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  4. Shawn226

Shawn226 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0L EcoDiesel
    PM me about the revolver, and yeah i load all 6 as well and rest in between. I try to understand the safety precautions of the 1 empty chamber but I also try to think in the mind of a cowboy, that extra load could mean the difference between a pine box or waking up the next morning

5. slim chance

slim chance Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    hemi 5.7 w/etorque
    i shoot steel targets with guns mfg from the end of the civil war to 1900. we use reproduction guns not originals, it's called Cowboy Action Shooting ... the only thing you win in a shoot is bragging rights. my wife is a 6yrs in a row Pa State Champion for her class, i have only won Pa State Champion for my class in 2013 and 2018. this sport is the best kept secret in gun sports. used to shoot SASS Rugers but last year changed to Schofields .. our club, Perry County Regulators, does Pa Blackpowder Championship

Fatbob Frank and Fitz87gn like this.