SiriusXM guardian

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichieW13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The free year subscription of SiriusXM guardian is going to be up soon. Anyone familiar with this ? Is it worth keeping it or just let it go? All i can tell is that I’m able to call help, remote start, lock/unlock and track truck through Uconnect app. Other than that, what are the benefits of having it?
I'm thinking about buying a 2022 with "remote start". Are you telling me that the remote start becomes disabled if I don't pay a monthly subscription fee?

Tinman454

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm thinking about buying a 2022 with "remote start". Are you telling me that the remote start becomes disabled if I don't pay a monthly subscription fee?
No the remote start will still work on the key but you have a blue tooth feature with serious Xm guardian that can do remote starting from anywhere with your phone hope that helps

OP
OP
Xyleff

Xyleff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No. Remote start still works using key fob. You just lose the functions from using your phone through the uconnect app.

pschonig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I called SiriusXM because my SiriusXM Guardian subscription was about to expire and they wanted $259/year to renew. I never used any of the features, so I was going to cancel the subscription. The person I spoke with at SiriusXM said I had the best package, but I should look at less expensive packages, because if I don't have at least one of their packages, then my navigation system will no longer work. He extended my subscription for two months so I can check out their other packages (the least expensive was just the remote unlock feature for $149/year). I think this guy is full of ****, so I called my dealership and spoke to my service advisor. She explained SirirusXM Guardian has nothing to do with the navigation system, which operates by Garmin; very poor customer service from SiriusXM.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I called SiriusXM because my SiriusXM Guardian subscription was about to expire and they wanted $259/year to renew. I never used any of the features, so I was going to cancel the subscription. The person I spoke with at SiriusXM said I had the best package, but I should look at less expensive packages, because if I don't have at least one of their packages, then my navigation system will no longer work. He extended my subscription for two months so I can check out their other packages (the least expensive was just the remote unlock feature for $149/year). I think this guy is full of ****, so I called my dealership and spoke to my service advisor. She explained SirirusXM Guardian has nothing to do with the navigation system, which operates by Garmin; very poor customer service from SiriusXM.
Yeah, I used to have all the features of that, but like you, really the only thing I want is just the ability to remote lock and unlock my truck with the app and then of course, have the added benefit of the tracking stuff just in case my truck ever gets stolen. I can handle the 149 a year for that.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Just a heads up for the scenario of theft. The vehicles location is updated when it is turned off. From what I've experienced with 2 stolen vehicles, both Hellcats 1 Durango, 1 Challenger, is by the time Siriusxm Gaurdian notifies dispatch about 2 hrs have passed. We were never able to recover either vehicle.
Both vehicles though were leases and were NOT being monitored by the owners. As an owner with the App, you MAY be able to get the notification when the vehicle is turned off and low on fuel or if you happen to check its last known location to observe it has been updated. But then it would be upto you to reach out to the local authorities.
I pay for the Siriusxm Gaurdian for other reasons and for the location feature but I now know not to rely solely on it. Hiding a locating tag for Apple or Samsung in the vehicle will increase your chances. I bought a $35 dog tag tracker that I access on the Samsung Smartthings app. Others with Apple could use Airtags but I'd advise to watch the you tube video on disabling the speaker in it.

Broncos1223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you use the APPS, you may want to keep it

I never used it with my 2009 Dodge Ram with the RER Radio w/ Navigation
I still have not used it with my 2016 Ram with RA 4 radio with Navigation

Both vehicles had bluetooth for Remote Start & Lock/Unlock, as well as hands free calling
I havent been able to get uconnect activated on my ram. It keeps saying I cant register when that vin number. You can do remote start, lick and unlock with bluetooth? Its a 2014.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I havent been able to get uconnect activated on my ram. It keeps saying I cant register when that vin number. You can do remote start, lick and unlock with bluetooth? Its a 2014.
The Sierra wireless car went end-of-life when they phased out 3G. All you have now is a radio with AM FM and SAT (maybe NAV) capabilities. And if it was still working (3G), if the radio is not original to the truck it still wouldn't work.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Sierra wireless car went end-of-life when they phased out 3G. All you have now is a radio with AM FM and SAT (maybe NAV) capabilities. And if it was still working (3G), if the radio is not original to the truck it still wouldn't work.
I’m glad you were able to decipher what it was he was trying to say… Lol.

But since I was told the radio firmware updates came from the satellites orbiting the planet, I figured all the Uconnect commands came from the same place… Maybe I’m wrong, I don’t know. But isn’t there a way to essentially upgrade the system from the old 3G to 4G? I thought I read about that somewhere where you could do that.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
IF, a person was paying for Uconnect, at the time that 3G expired, the vehicle owner was sent a Notice.
That Notice stated that they would be sent a 4G Dongle FREE of Charge.
The Dongle did work, but when it was received, you plugged it into the OBD Port.
It banged your left leg, when you used the E Brake

video explains it

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
In this day and age you would think that someone would come up with a replacement air card. its not that difficult to change. I have had my RA4 apart to change the screen and it is right there...

Kenneth Gunther

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I was on vacation, I wanted to remote start the truck an every day since we had a really cold snap. I don’t remember the exact number but you can only start the truck a few times with the app. Then you get a message that you need to start it manually the next time.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
When I was on vacation, I wanted to remote start the truck an every day since we had a really cold snap. I don’t remember the exact number but you can only start the truck a few times with the app. Then you get a message that you need to start it manually the next time.
Twice. Same as remote starts with the FOB. That's programmed into the truck along with a 15 min max runtime. I believe that is regulated by the EPA and the Feds set those rules.