Sirus XM Travel link weather map problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

edh13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
What in the world is your problem??
Chrysler Corporation put this radio in Ram trucks. They bought the system from SiriusXM as I understand it.
Yes, I paid lots of $$ for the Radio system, it did not come "free of charge". I feel Ram should be interested in making sure the system shipped with their trucks works as it should.
You apparently have not seen the weather map. It is a radar image of weather systems.
I make the remark about Ford, because I had a 2010 Ford F-150 with a very similar weather radar system that worked great.

I’ve had the same crappy Travel Link app in the last three of my FCA vehicles. I’ve got it now in my 2020 Ram 12”. I don’t renew after the free trial because it’s not very useful, it looks and operates the same now as it did in my Durango 6 years ago and in my brothers King Ranch. The RADAR doesn’t update often enough and if it does the resolution is only a hundred miles anyway. I’ve found the movie times and gas prices aren’t real dependable either. Never in my wildest dreams would blame FCA for a lousy add on to a subscription service through Sirius. A slow or intermittent frame refresh on an app (when the rest of the system works just fine) has nothing to do with the quality of the hardware or software in your truck. It has everything to do with what Sirius is piping through their system. It’s actually raining in Phx right now. I checked my Travel Link RADAR while I drove to work and it never showed any weather. My phone weather app showed all the rain.

Come to think of it I don’t like the sports scores feature either... Brown’s lost. I think I’ll go buy a Chevy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BRFiel

BRFiel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an ongoing ticket with SiriusXM. Hopefully, they will attempt to remedy the problem
I can't believe there are not hundreds of Ram owners with this system complaining to Ram and SiriusXM.
My last contact with SiriusXM was last week. I sent, at the tech's request, a photo of the screen with the radar showing snow, then a photo taken 15 seconds later with the map and no snow. The tech emailed me back and could not quite understand the photos. She had no idea what the screen looked like. I explained and she said the information would go to a higher level.
So I am waiting. At least she really was interested in helping

OP
OP
BRFiel

BRFiel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve had the same crappy Travel Link app in the last three of my FCA vehicles. I’ve got it now in my 2020 Ram 12”. I don’t renew after the free trial because it’s not very useful, it looks and operates the same now as it did in my Durango 6 years ago and in my brothers King Ranch. The RADAR doesn’t update often enough and if it does the resolution is only a hundred miles anyway. I’ve found the movie times and gas prices aren’t real dependable either. Never in my wildest dreams would blame FCA for a lousy add on to a subscription service through Sirius. A slow or intermittent frame refresh on an app (when the rest of the system works just fine) has nothing to do with the quality of the hardware or software in your truck. It has everything to do with what Sirius is piping through their system. It’s actually raining in Phx right now. I checked my Travel Link RADAR while I drove to work and it never showed any weather. My phone weather app showed all the rain.

Come to think of it I don’t like the sports scores feature either... Brown’s lost. I think I’ll go buy a Chevy.

I had been told that the app worked in the 8 inch screen radio??? My beef with FCA is that they continue to buy the system and expect we customers to go through SiriusXM to try to fix the problem.
Thanks for your info about your other vehicles.
Interesting about your brother's King Ranch. My 2010 F-150 had a system that worked great. I thought it was produced for Ford only, I don't know for sure

edh13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
FCA doesn’t buy the radio from SiriusXM. The auto Manufacturers all build their own radios, some use engineering provided by third party electronic companies. SXM provides them with chipsets, integration engineering, and subsidies for marketing purposes etc. So technically SXM pays the mfr’s to make available satellite radio in their vehicles. I guess it’s fair to assume some control heads are better integrated than others but if all other SXM features are working fine it’s hard to see that this is a Ram issue. FCA could be blamed for not choosing another (better) satellite provider for their vehicles... Oh wait...

OP
OP
BRFiel

BRFiel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FCA doesn’t buy the radio from SiriusXM. The auto Manufacturers all build their own radios, some use engineering provided by third party electronic companies. SXM provides them with chipsets, integration engineering, and subsidies for marketing purposes etc. So technically SXM pays the mfr’s to make available satellite radio in their vehicles. I guess it’s fair to assume some control heads are better integrated than others but if all other SXM features are working fine it’s hard to see that this is a Ram issue. FCA could be blamed for not choosing another (better) satellite provider for their vehicles... Oh wait...
What you write makes sense. I had a difficult time transferring a lifetime subscription to SiriusXM from my Ford to this Ram and my dealer and I made many phone calls to clear up the problem. During this time my dealer led me to believe the radio was made by SiriusXM. But what you say about chipsets, etc makes sense. I don't mean SiriusXM physically makes the radio. I mean they have it produced.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BRFiel

BRFiel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't quite understand why you think FCA should not bear some responsibility for the radar issue. Granted it may be SiriusXM's poor radar transmission, but Ram put the radio in my pickup and even paid for a 5-year trial plan of the Travel Link. I would think they would be interested in helping a customer solve the problem. If not, they should not purchase the plan or maybe even not put the 12-inch screen radio in the vehicles.

edh13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
I don't quite understand why you think FCA should not bear some responsibility for the radar issue. Granted it may be SiriusXM's poor radar transmission, but Ram put the radio in my pickup and even paid for a 5-year trial plan of the Travel Link. I would think they would be interested in helping a customer solve the problem. If not, they should not purchase the plan or maybe even not put the 12-inch screen radio in the vehicles.

I guess I see your point that FCA should at least share the burden with getting help from Sirius, after all they are the retailer. Kind of like Best Buy should help me deal with Samsung because my new “smart” refrigerator is really kinda “dumb”, if nothing else it builds customer relationships. Especially with the reputation that the 12” is getting. I haven’t had any problems with mine (other than cheesy Sirius Travel Link apps) but it appears some have had major issues. It’s also sad that GWB 43 stuck us with this monopoly that is SiriusXM. The OEM manufactures are stuck with no choice and SXM has no incentive to do better.

OP
OP
BRFiel

BRFiel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For sure monopolies are always a deterrent to good products and good service.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
If I remember correctly, most of the head units were made by Panasonic and another company. I was told that the 8.4 in my 2018 Bighorn was made by Panasonic and that the early 12.1's were too. I don't know if the 2021's are as well.

I also had an issue with the RADAR app having a hiccup too. But I think that is because of the heavy cloud cover and crap weather we had up this way.

OP
OP
BRFiel

BRFiel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Believe me, the "hiccup" had nothing to do with cloud cover. I have spent quite a bit of time in the past three weeks with SiriusXM on the issue. They have decided that there is a problem with the 360L radio (12 inch screen) in 2019 and 2020 Rams has a problem with the radar link. They are working on it. If there is no fix I will not renew the Travel Link subscription when it comes due.

Tmcb2020

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cumins
I have had the same issue as everyone described. 2019 Ram 2500 with 12inch screen. Contacted the dealer and was told a Star Case was in place and have not heard anything back. I have a Ford Fusion and the weather map on it is amazing. It shows hail, tornadoes and the weather is up and ready as soon as I open the link. Ram needs to fix this.

OP
OP
BRFiel

BRFiel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have not heard anything from my dealer nor SiriusXM in quite a while. I had a 2010 F-150 that the weather map worked great. So, yes, this needs to be fiexed

Mikesaunders

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I too have the same problem with my 12" /2020 ram. Radar shows for a brief sec then goes away. Here we are in late June and no fix. My wife's 8.4"/2018 Pacifica works beautifully.

OP
OP
BRFiel

BRFiel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I spoke with SiriusXM on June 30. Same old story. The tech upgraded the issue to the engineering department. Have heard this a couple of times before. I realize it is not a great big deal, but when you buy a new truck you expect all systems to work or be repaired or replaced

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I have noticed mine do this, but it seems more of a poor signal issue. If I try to get radar in an area that also has dead Sirius signal, the map won't pop up.

OP
OP
BRFiel

BRFiel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This happens every time I try the weather map. Have never had a dead Sirius signal where I have traveled in the past two years

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I have about 5 of them within about 2-3 miles of my house. Number one is right in my driveway.

OP
OP
BRFiel

BRFiel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had the same issue as everyone described. 2019 Ram 2500 with 12inch screen. Contacted the dealer and was told a Star Case was in place and have not heard anything back. I have a Ford Fusion and the weather map on it is amazing. It shows hail, tornadoes and the weather is up and ready as soon as I open the link. Ram needs to fix this.
Called my dealer on February 23, 2022. Service man said there is a star bulletin out about a software fix, maybe. I live 120 miles from the dealer so will not go in until the middle of March. Hopefully a fix