Skipping out rear end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bingo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Quad Cab Sport
Afternoon,
So here in Ontario roads are fairly crap. I notice my Ram when it hits slightest bump on will feel like rear end is stepping out. I think its always slightly done it. Which was one of the reasons i was going to upgrade the suspension. I don't drive it much at moment so when i do i notice it more, whether its worse or not i'm not 100% However it can be quite disconcerting. I've always noticed the rear wiggle over train tracks etc.

An example recently i was driving back roads from one side of Ottawa to other at fair pace say 100km/h and it would constantly feel like was gonna throw me off side of the road when hitting slightest bumps. Even on highway it's not great. I've not driven another Ram to compare it to.

Truck is stock apart from EIbach pro kit allround, bfg winter tires and adj panhard bar. I currently have a truck top on it too which i thought extra weight might help but no. Back of truck is empty most of time. Do i need some more weight in there?

I would like a more plush ride too i know it's a truck. I was kinda hoping the eibach kit would have helped but i haven't noticed much of a difference from stock. I do find it a little juddery over bumps too.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Rear end stepping out is not normal. There is something out of wack that needs to be found and fixed. the range of things that it could be is very long so start at the easiest, like loose coils, shocks etc and work towards the harder/more expensive.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What adjustable panhard bar are you running?

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
How many miles on the shocks? What are the tires specifically and what pressures?

Some modest amount of sidestep is not unusual with a solid axle in certain circumstances e.g. a diagonal railway crossing. But your description sounds much worse than normal.

Worn joints in the rear trailing arms or panhard can result in rear axle steering (side to side pivot) which is very unpredictable to drive.

OP
OP
B

Bingo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Quad Cab Sport
Truck is a 16 and eibach shock and spring kit and panhard was new and has been on 6mths or so. It's only done 50,000km and is only used once a week at moment. Like i said it's sort of always done it.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What size tires and wheels?

I used to get the same thing with 17" wheels and 285/70/17 tires.
Went to stock 20's and it doesn't happen now.

OP
OP
B

Bingo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Quad Cab Sport
haha funnily enough 285 70 17s with bfg s for winters

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Rear control arm bushings ?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Check the pan hard bar along with the trailing arm bushings, you may need to have the axle alignment checked.
Another thing to try is inflate the rear tires to 50 psi(or max inflation) see if that helps.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Truck is a 16 and eibach shock and spring kit and panhard was new and has been on 6mths or so. It's only done 50,000km and is only used once a week at moment. Like i said it's sort of always done it.
The Eibach kit doesn't look like it comes with a track bar, do you have an aftermarket one?

OP
OP
B

Bingo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Quad Cab Sport
Yes as i mentioned earlier i have an adjustable panhard bar (track bar some call it)

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
So, I have to ask. Have you actually gone under the truck and started checking bushings, loose bolts, measuring centre of hub on rear wheel to center of hub front wheel on both sides to make sure rear axle is square, etc and what did you find?

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Afternoon,
So here in Ontario roads are fairly crap. I notice my Ram when it hits slightest bump on will feel like rear end is stepping out. I think its always slightly done it. Which was one of the reasons i was going to upgrade the suspension. I don't drive it much at moment so when i do i notice it more, whether its worse or not i'm not 100% However it can be quite disconcerting. I've always noticed the rear wiggle over train tracks etc.

An example recently i was driving back roads from one side of Ottawa to other at fair pace say 100km/h and it would constantly feel like was gonna throw me off side of the road when hitting slightest bumps. Even on highway it's not great. I've not driven another Ram to compare it to.

Truck is stock apart from EIbach pro kit allround, bfg winter tires and adj panhard bar. I currently have a truck top on it too which i thought extra weight might help but no. Back of truck is empty most of time. Do i need some more weight in there?

I would like a more plush ride too i know it's a truck. I was kinda hoping the eibach kit would have helped but i haven't noticed much of a difference from stock. I do find it a little juddery over bumps too.

Do you have a 2500?

If so; do you have the bed shock installed? If not try installing one.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Do you have a 2500?

If so; do you have the bed shock installed? If not try installing one.
I have never heard of or seen a bed shock and I have owned a lot of 2500 and 3500 trucks from Ford, Dodge and GM. Could you explain what that is.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have never heard of or seen a bed shock and I have owned a lot of 2500 and 3500 trucks from Ford, Dodge and GM. Could you explain what that is.
Probably referring to the rear axle-wrap shock found on the HD trucks. It's mounted from the top of the axle to under the bed(on a cross member).