Slight vibration at highway speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cyberwolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had my new-to-me '03 2WD for about a month now. It's only got 50k on it and everything seems to be as it should be. It's been my experience that low mileage, but older vehicles sometimes have unique problems where components are not worn out by mileage, but past their prime due to age.

That said, I have noticed a slight vibration at 65mph plus and am wondering what the best course of action may be. The truck tracks straight regardless of speed, doesn't vibrate when braking, and I don't hear any tell-tale rattles. But it does have a slight vibration at higher speed, sometimes even a slight bounce depending on the road surface, and sometimes a tire hum when turning.

Other threads I've seen lean towards tires as a starting point. The truck has Goodyear Wranglers that are not new, but in good condition and evenly worn. Probably about half tread left. I checked into road force balancing and it looks like that would run around $140. Is it worth it to spend that on older tires, or should I put that money towards a new set? Is there any other area that I should look at first like shocks, tie rods, etc.?

My last pickup was back in the 90s and well worn, and I've only had cars and SUVs since then. So I'm also wondering if my expectations are a little too high...

Strange Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Tires are a good starting point.. how old are they?

Also, check your tie rod ends and other suspension parts.

WVBiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Take it to Walmart. 12 bucks a tire to balance for the life of the tire, I get mine balanced every 5 thousand miles.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I’d say a tire out of balance too

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 2500 4x4 C/C Off Road.

jerryt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is Road Force Balance? I think I would check the age of the tires before spending $140 to balance them. Even tires that look good can have hidden flaws.

OP
OP
cyberwolf

cyberwolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is Road Force Balance? I think I would check the age of the tires before spending $140 to balance them. Even tires that look good can have hidden flaws.

It's a new concept to me as well, but it's a more thorough balancing that actually puts the wheel and tire under load and provides more data than regular balancing. I just checked my tires and found a 2105 manufacture date. So yeah, 15 year old tires...

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
15 yr old tires ?
Yeah, get a new set and problem likely solved.

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
In Arizona it's not legal for tire dealers to service tires over 10 years old, (at least that is what one dealer told me, then sold me a new set of tires). Anyway the industry standard for the service life of a tire is 7 years.

Mike

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It's a new concept to me as well, but it's a more thorough balancing that actually puts the wheel and tire under load and provides more data than regular balancing. I just checked my tires and found a 2105 manufacture date. So yeah, 15 year old