Sllight tick day after new manifold bolts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I think its a few things, LS motors are terrible at breaking exhaust bolts and fords. One thing in common is the 8mm or .315 bolt as LS motors have thin cast manifolds. Old SBC are 3/8" which is .375". Some motors I heard that don't have exhaust bolt issues I think are toyota which use 10mm or .394" which is slightly bigger than a 3/8" bolt. The stock 4th gen ram manifolds do warp... I pulled mine at 18k and they were already warped and pulled them again around 40k and they were over .060" warped. I never snapped a bolt though but thats bc at 18k miles I used remflex gaskets which compress. The OE graphite/stainless shield do not really compress and they are more of a MLS style gasket. I also agree on the dissimilar metals and expansion/contraction however just about every car these days has aluminum heads and cast iron or some kinda of fabbed steel/stainless exhaust manifold. I think it plays a roll but I think the bolts and the gasket are a bigger issue. Combine the warping of the manifolds, weight of cats and exhaust hanging off the rear of the manifolds with smaller bolts and non compressible gaskets and you get the tick. I now have shorties and ARP bolts but got my stock manifolds milled which is why I know how much they are warped.
look at 7 minute mark thanks @Hemi395

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think its a few things, LS motors are terrible at breaking exhaust bolts and fords. One thing in common is the 8mm or .315 bolt as LS motors have thin cast manifolds. Old SBC are 3/8" which is .375". Some motors I heard that don't have exhaust bolt issues I think are toyota which use 10mm or .394" which is slightly bigger than a 3/8" bolt. The stock 4th gen ram manifolds do warp... I pulled mine at 18k and they were already warped and pulled them again around 40k and they were over .060" warped. I never snapped a bolt though but thats bc at 18k miles I used remflex gaskets which compress. The OE graphite/stainless shield do not really compress and they are more of a MLS style gasket. I also agree on the dissimilar metals and expansion/contraction however just about every car these days has aluminum heads and cast iron or some kinda of fabbed steel/stainless exhaust manifold. I think it plays a roll but I think the bolts and the gasket are a bigger issue. Combine the warping of the manifolds, weight of cats and exhaust hanging off the rear of the manifolds with smaller bolts and non compressible gaskets and you get the tick. I now have shorties and ARP bolts but got my stock manifolds milled which is why I know how much they are warped.
Your comments are interesting.

Two summers ago a good friend needed to have an exhaust leak repair on his 2012 Ram 1500. I suggested that he might want to have the exhaust manifolds machined to get flatness, and there is a auto shop near here with a good reputation. He took them there and I was later surprised to learn the machinist tried to talk him out of having it done! The reason is the machinist said "they all warp" and "would warp again." He explained that cast iron, unless wickedly out of spec., will conform to it's matting surface in an high heat applications.

The shop did eventually agree to shaving 0.015 off which didn't bring them into pure flatness. Another reason given was that taking too much material of the matting surface could cause cracks around the outward flange mounting stud area. His ultimate solution was to install a quality tube header.

He did re-install the machined exhaust manifolds using the revise Chrysler parts and so far it's holding (truck now has over 240,000 miles on it). Time will tell.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 85807 miles

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
look at 7 minute mark thanks @Hemi395

I feel the opposite as the thicker manifold when it pulls away at the edges has more meat and thus strength pulling on the bolt. Think like a thinner screwdriver as a pry bar vs a thicker pry bar yanking on something. The thinner will flex and ultimately put less force on the sort you’re prying. The manifolds on the Hemi are seriously thick… puts that SBC to shame lol.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Your comments are interesting.

Two summers ago a good friend needed to have an exhaust leak repair on his 2012 Ram 1500. I suggested that he might want to have the exhaust manifolds machined to get flatness, and there is a auto shop near here with a good reputation. He took them there and I was later surprised to learn the machinist tried to talk him out of having it done! The reason is the machinist said "they all warp" and "would warp again." He explained that cast iron, unless wickedly out of spec., will conform to it's matting surface in an high heat applications.

The shop did eventually agree to shaving 0.015 off which didn't bring them into pure flatness. Another reason given was that taking too much material of the matting surface could cause cracks around the outward flange mounting stud area. His ultimate solution was to install a quality tube header.

He did re-install the machined exhaust manifolds using the revise Chrysler parts and so far it's holding (truck now has over 240,000 miles on it). Time will tell.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 85807 miles
How long as he had them on after being milled?

I believe in the warping happens as material is heat cycled but there is a limit to where it stops. That is dictated by time m, temperate and usage. Gaskets that compress will and rebound will fix leaks and probably stop bolt breakages but they don’t stop the warping which is a natural process. Only way to stop the warp is season the material or do everything u can to prevent the only real issue which is the tick and that can be probably solved with remflex gaskets and larger dia bolts. Now to fix the warping you run them for years and I would say 50k is a safe mileage if you haven’t broken a bolt yet. Pull them and milk them flat and say you took off .060”. If they continue to warp from that point you can go another .060 and with the remflex gaskets and stock bolts I didn’t get a bolt snap. I would rather pull and mill with a .060 total warp vs having a .120” warp and broken bolts/leak. Add the stress of the rear manifold being pulled on by the hanging exhaust while hot I’m sure that doesn’t help.

Some interesting reading which more scientifically describes what I’m kinda saying.

“The root cause of the problem is that when poured, castings shrink and when they shrink they are full of compressive stresses. Those stresses just wait to be sprung free by any way possible, one day, one week, one month....100 years.

Old school was to let castings age for 3 seasons to let the stresses anneal naturally before machining and in truth done that way they never warp later.

But in the world where time is money, castings like manifolds were hustled through and cleared the line in less that a shift. Even today they are machined in what is referred to as 'green'.

If manufactures of todays manifolds baked the casting for 4-6 hours at 375-400 Fahrenheit before machining, there would have been no internal stress 'springs' to cause the problems of warped manifolds later.”

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How long as he had them on after being milled?

I believe in the warping happens as material is heat cycled but there is a limit to where it stops. That is dictated by time m, temperate and usage. Gaskets that compress will and rebound will fix leaks and probably stop bolt breakages but they don’t stop the warping which is a natural process. Only way to stop the warp is season the material or do everything u can to prevent the only real issue which is the tick and that can be probably solved with remflex gaskets and larger dia bolts. Now to fix the warping you run them for years and I would say 50k is a safe mileage if you haven’t broken a bolt yet. Pull them and milk them flat and say you took off .060”. If they continue to warp from that point you can go another .060 and with the remflex gaskets and stock bolts I didn’t get a bolt snap. I would rather pull and mill with a .060 total warp vs having a .120” warp and broken bolts/leak. Add the stress of the rear manifold being pulled on by the hanging exhaust while hot I’m sure that doesn’t help.

Some interesting reading which more scientifically describes what I’m kinda saying.

“The root cause of the problem is that when poured, castings shrink and when they shrink they are full of compressive stresses. Those stresses just wait to be sprung free by any way possible, one day, one week, one month....100 years.

Old school was to let castings age for 3 seasons to let the stresses anneal naturally before machining and in truth done that way they never warp later.

But in the world where time is money, castings like manifolds were hustled through and cleared the line in less that a shift. Even today they are machined in what is referred to as 'green'.

If manufactures of todays manifolds baked the casting for 4-6 hours at 375-400 Fahrenheit before machining, there would have been no internal stress 'springs' to cause the problems of warped manifolds later.”
I had to call him.

He had the exhaust manifolds milled around 240,000 miles two years ago and he now has 282K.

I recently talked to a metallurgical engineer who basically covered most of your comments. His opinion was that castings should be "cured" to prevent warping, especially in high heat applications.

I looked at the video Burla posted and I'm not sure I agree with the conclusion of the video maker. Being heavy in small block Chevy engines long ago, I have to agreed I don't ever recall seeing a broken exhaust manifold bolt on any I touched or knew about. I haven't lifted one in a long time, but my muscle memory tells me small block Chevy manifolds were just generally beefier all the way around, especially in the center where the header pipe mated to the manifold. How that would affect dimensional deflection, I'm not sure but it most certainly could. And Chevy motors of that era used larger bolts I'm pretty sure.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 85873 miles

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Sorry to hear you are experiencing this, we certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you end up addressing this with your local dealer, please let us know via PM. We'd be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.

Callie
Ram Cares

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As mentioned the Chevy LS engines (i.e. like the 6.0L) were notorious for breaking exhaust manifold bolts. I personally replaced broken bolts on both sides on my previous Chevy 6.0 truck and talked to a long-time Chevy dealer tech who has done dozens of them. Neither me or him ever had the manifolds machined and never had any more tick after just replacing the bolts. I know, it's not the Ram so maybe slightly different but the same concept. I think part of it is how many bolts are broken and how long you keep driving it with the broken bolts.......the more broken bolts and the longer you drive the more likely they will warp.
I will also say the 6.0L Chevy engine was notorious for having a slight tick at start up that went away after warming up, and it was not related to exhaust leaks at all. Again, different trucks and engines but makes we question whether the issue in the OP is actually caused by exhaust or not.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Used to be you wanted a "seasoned" block back in the old days of building a hi-po cast iron motor. An old machinist told me,some of the best seasoned blocks came out of Taxi's,that would get drove fairly hard,then would sit and idle for an hour,before being drove hard again. Same thing applies to an exhaust manifold,once seasoned they become more stable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn