Sloppy Steering Adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Ok I know many 2nd gens out there have this problem. So here is a simple DIY To follow to take care of some of the slop. Maybe correct some wheel angle problems. I will be adding pictures later for better clarification.

Difficulty Rate: :) If you can turn a wrench you can probably do this.

(This DIY is intended for instructional purposes and I nor the forum are responsible for any damage while you are following this DIY. Use your best judgment while working on your truck. Be safe and follow safety precautions.
In short; you are on your own I am only providing you a guide.)

Tools Needed:

16mm Open End Box Wrench
4.5 or 5.0 hex key.
Maybe some Brake Cleaner for the dirty ones

Step 1:
If the box has dirt and other debris on it you are going to want to spray the box down with brake wash to remove most of the dirt. Make sure you clean the top of the box.

Step 2:
On the top of the steering gearbox you will see a large bolt located on the top near the middle. This is the 16mm bolt that you will need to lossen.

Step 3:
Insert the Hex Key into the top of the nut and point it to wards the front of the truck. Then loosen the 16mm nut about 1 or 2 turns. Keep the hex key pointed to the front.

Step 4:
Either have another person sit in the truck and wiggle the wheel back in forth while you tighten the screw or get up and down a lot to take up the play. You should only adjust the screw about a 1/4 turn at a time. A 3/4 turn will roughly take out 2 inches of slop. Don't tighten the hex too tight or it may cause damage to the steering box. The steering should be tight but not so tight that when you are finished that you have to muscle the wheel.

Step 5:
After adjusting the screw. Hold the hex in the position where you adjusted it and tighten the 16mm nut. Nice and snug. DON'T OVER TIGHTEN.

Step 6:
Start the truck and check for any leaks. Test your steering see if you still have play. If so you can repeat the steps to get rid of most of it.
Good on you for posting this. Surprised how few people know they can tighten up the steering easily this way. Makes a huge difference. Too many guys try new steering boxes and find out the re-manufactured ones are WAY worse than the original.

Like others have said though, you do need to be sure that the rest of the ball joints, drag links, Steering shaft etc are in top notch shape before this will work. The Borgeson Steering shaft fixes a lot of issues but you have to be very sure to install it exactly correct or it can come off of the joint at the firewall and you have no steering at all.

Last edited:

ampace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.7
Ok I know many 2nd gens out there have this problem. So here is a simple DIY To follow to take care of some of the slop. Maybe correct some wheel angle problems. I will be adding pictures later for better clarification.

Difficulty Rate: :) If you can turn a wrench you can probably do this.

(This DIY is intended for instructional purposes and I nor the forum are responsible for any damage while you are following this DIY. Use your best judgment while working on your truck. Be safe and follow safety precautions.
In short; you are on your own I am only providing you a guide.)

Tools Needed:

16mm Open End Box Wrench
4.5 or 5.0 hex key.
Maybe some Brake Cleaner for the dirty ones

Step 1:
If the box has dirt and other debris on it you are going to want to spray the box down with brake wash to remove most of the dirt. Make sure you clean the top of the box.

Step 2:
On the top of the steering gearbox you will see a large bolt located on the top near the middle. This is the 16mm bolt that you will need to lossen.

Step 3:
Insert the Hex Key into the top of the nut and point it to wards the front of the truck. Then loosen the 16mm nut about 1 or 2 turns. Keep the hex key pointed to the front.

Step 4:
Either have another person sit in the truck and wiggle the wheel back in forth while you tighten the screw or get up and down a lot to take up the play. You should only adjust the screw about a 1/4 turn at a time. A 3/4 turn will roughly take out 2 inches of slop. Don't tighten the hex too tight or it may cause damage to the steering box. The steering should be tight but not so tight that when you are finished that you have to muscle the wheel.

Step 5:
After adjusting the screw. Hold the hex in the position where you adjusted it and tighten the 16mm nut. Nice and snug. DON'T OVER TIGHTEN.

Step 6:
Start the truck and check for any leaks. Test your steering see if you still have play. If so you can repeat the steps to get rid of most of it.
This is a great tip. I'm definitely trying this one. :favorites13:

By the way, where does everyone get the cool truck profile pics?