Slow filling gas tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

girthmccoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-6 Pentastar
Hi Michael!

I'm sorry to hear about the concerns you're experiencing. I'd like to look into your situation further for you. If you don't mind, can you please send our team a private message with your current mileage & VIN? Thanks!

Courtney
Ram Cares
I am having the same issue. Can I contact someone at Ram Cares?

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hi,
We regret to hear that you are experiencing this concern! If you wouldn't mind following up with us via private message, we would be happy to learn additional details to determine how to best assist you.

Rob
Ram Cares

2018HarvestRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7Hemi
My 2018 is having the same issue, I called the 1.800.992.1997 and gave them all the information I had! Anything shared by Customer care would be greatly appreciated because it takes 20+ minutes to to fill my truck and that's 1/2 a tank (13 gallons).

JackLaramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi,
We regret to hear that you are experiencing this concern! If you wouldn't mind following up with us via private message, we would be happy to learn additional details to determine how to best assist you.

Rob
Ram Cares
Our 2020 RAM 1500 Laramie has the same slow gas filling problem. Began right about 30K miles. We have the RAM bumper to bumper warrantee in place for 5 years/100k miles so will keep returning to the dealership until its solved. Dealer may as well fix it right as we aren't going away with 4 more years on the warrentee. We purchased in 2021 at 12K miles.

So far, Plaza Chrysler in Inverness, FL acts as if this is not the common problem that it is. Perhaps manufacturer problem, not communicating to dealer service departments. Easy to find lots of RAM owners reporting this same issue. Only wish we saw this before buying RAM.

Dealership has tried to fix it, utimately theyv have replaced the entire filler neck assembly at this point. That did nothing to improve the problem. They now said they are seeking "technical assistance", so we are waiting on that and have a new appointment to discuss further in a couple of weeks. It takes a few weeks to get an appointment each time to discuss the matter.

Meanwhile we buy gas 5-10 gallons at a time, as it takes so long just to fill a few gallons each time. Limits our ability to travel any distances with the RAM 1500. Not sure there is any solution at this point but we keep returning. Think carefully about purchasing a RAM 1500 if you need to do much of any traveling. We have a brand new RV but sitting home or only doing local camps. This fueling problem can add hours to any long distance travel times.

Last edited:

2018HarvestRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7Hemi
I think the nozzle getting stuck is one problem which is due to the angle BUT the other problem is the pump keeps shutting off due to back-pressure. It takes me 20 minutes to put in about 13 gallons of fuel. According to threads I've seen, the location of the breather tube is too low on the filler neck and that allows fuel to get into the canister on top of the fuel tank. Once the fuel gets to a certain level, it allows the 'charcoal pellets' inside the can to lodge in the vapor tube and blocks them from escaping. The fuel bubbles up and shuts off the nozzle. no where for the vapors to go except up the neck! Am I understanding the problem correctly?!

mstallings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had the same issue on my 2019 Ram 1500. Took FOREVER to fill the tank. Had to stand there and just let the gas trickle in.

The issue was a stuck relief valve or some such on the top of the gas tank. They replaced the gas tank, problem solved.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Our 2020 RAM 1500 Laramie has the same slow gas filling problem. Began right about 30K miles. We have the RAM bumper to bumper warrantee in place for 5 years/100k miles so will keep returning to the dealership until its solved. Dealer may as well fix it right as we aren't going away with 4 more years on the warrentee. We purchased in 2021 at 12K miles.

So far, Plaza Chrysler in Inverness, FL acts as if this is not the common problem that it is. Perhaps manufacturer problem, not communicating to dealer service departments. Easy to find lots of RAM owners reporting this same issue. Only wish we saw this before buying RAM.

Dealership has tried to fix it, utimately theyv have replaced the entire filler neck assembly at this point. That did nothing to improve the problem. They now said they are seeking "technical assistance", so we are waiting on that and have a new appointment to discuss further in a couple of weeks. It takes a few weeks to get an appointment each time to discuss the matter.

Meanwhile we buy gas 5-10 gallons at a time, as it takes so long just to fill a few gallons each time. Limits our ability to travel any distances with the RAM 1500. Not sure there is any solution at this point but we keep returning. Think carefully about purchasing a RAM 1500 if you need to do much of any traveling. We have a brand new RV but sitting home or only doing local camps. This fueling problem can add hours to any long distance travel times.
Hi,
We sincerely regret hearing of the trouble. Please know that our team would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance if you do end up connecting with your dealer again. Feel free to follow up with us via private message if this would be of interest.

Rob
Ram Cares

Elyessym

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2018 ram 1500 and can't fill up my tank some one told me to replace the vapor canister. I just did and still have the problem any body with the same problem?

Wadejesu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Harvestram might be correct, I have stuck a stiff tube down filler neck to push rollover valve all the way open and still takes forever to fill, mostly the last 4-5 gallons.
I'm sure it's a venting problem. Big PIA

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have not experienced this but I think if I did I would be modifying a 2 gallon gas can as a giant funnel to fill that with the pump and let gravity feed the truck vs stand there for 20 minutes to get 5 gallons of gas in. Probably can’t fill it with this method without soaking yourself but could get close on the gauage and stop in a few minutes and be on your way with a mostly fill tank. Use the extra 15 minutes to call RAM again!

Brian Elliott

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 2020 Ram 2500 will not take gas unless I hold the gas nozzle upside down or a an angle which allows the air to escape past the nozzle. Kinda defeats the purpose or the recovery part of the nozzle but at least i can fill it faster then before. I just dropped it off at the dealer and he seened to acknowledge the fact that it is a problem. We shall see when I get the truck back.

Gringoloco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just purchased a 2019 Ram 3500 Cummins, a few weeks back. Everytime I go to the diesel pump, it's a 30 minute fill. So, my wife and I took a trip to Denver to pickup an RV yesterday. We have a fleet fuel card for discount fuel at most truck stops. I could not fill up properly at the high flow pumps. I either had to pump in pennies at a time, or have diesel fuel and foam blow back out at me and on the ground. As well all know, drops of wasted diesel fuel is like gold these days. My wife told me she wants to go trade in the truck, as it was so frustrating. We tried different angles and approaches. Nothing worked. This is our 4th Ram, and what a huge disappointment. We travel full time, so utilizing the high flow pumps is usually a great time saver. This truck has caused the opposite result. I wish there was a solution, but my wife is pushing to go look at different brands at this point.

Gringoloco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I called my local dealer today, and talked to service and parts. They admitted its a known issue. But, I'm out of warranty and would have to pay for the fix. Very frustrating! On top of that, my active grill shutters are throwing a code. So, now that needs to be looked at as well. Did I buy a lemon? This is my 4th Ram 3500, and I have never experienced anything like this! Is there anyone from Ram Cares, that might be able to help?

Alexrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Rebel 2021
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone know who I might talk to and a phone number about the 2020 Ram fuel tank not filling, but just trickles in or pump shuts off. PLEASE don't suggest the dealership. They say they have never heard of a tank not filling fast and "NOT UNDER WARRANTY. Prefer a field rep or someone who can take care of this as the dealership says My Ram was purchased in Feb of 2020 and only has 3800 or fewer miles on it.
Thanks,
flame.gif
Mike
I have a 2021 ram rebel and since the first fill driving off the lot I’ve had his issue, I‘m losing my mind. I’ve had it into the dealership more than 5 times, they’ve replaced the fuel tank, the filter, every thing related to fueling you can address they have done. The fuel tank replacement finally helped for 6 months and the issue came back last week. I can’t believe what I paid for this truck and I can’t even frickin’ put gas in it. I can’t full more than a litre without the pump shutting off. has ANYONE had any success with this? There are so many People with the same issues, how has there not been a recal? @RamCares

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
2018 RAM 1500. The same issue aa described on previous posts. Replaced evap canister from dealership. No help to the problem. Extremely frustrating! @RamCares, what is being done about it?

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I had the problem also.

Replaced the filler neck (new design) and it helped for awhile.

Replaced the gas tank (rollover valve) and the problem is all but gone. Every now and then it will stop a few dollars in but once I start pumping again it's good until full (or my card swipe maxes out).

If you have a habit of topping off your tank then you might have gotten gas in the evap system. This can cause the same symptoms but is a whole different bag to repair the issue.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I have a 2021 ram rebel and since the first fill driving off the lot I’ve had his issue, I‘m losing my mind. I’ve had it into the dealership more than 5 times, they’ve replaced the fuel tank, the filter, every thing related to fueling you can address they have done. The fuel tank replacement finally helped for 6 months and the issue came back last week. I can’t believe what I paid for this truck and I can’t even frickin’ put gas in it. I can’t full more than a litre without the pump shutting off. has ANYONE had any success with this? There are so many People with the same issues, how has there not been a recal? @RamCares

2018 RAM 1500. The same issue aa described on previous posts. Replaced evap canister from dealership. No help to the problem. Extremely frustrating! @RamCares, what is being done about it?

You guys check out the thread I just tagged you guys in ... hopefully that helps you guys get your fuel tanks replaced ...

jamierac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6 cyl
My 2019 RAM BIG HORN has the same issue. It could be from topping off by gas attendants since I do not like to top off other then rounding to the nearest $. Either way it seems nobody can figure out what is the solution to this issue. It also seems this is a common issue with this model. I actually have to trickle the gas into the truck. $50 takes ten minutes at best. Am at a loss here

Kootbiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So weird this problem, I have never experienced this. I always pump my own fuel and stop when it pops the lever. I never top it up, 3 years old, 60,000 kms, lot’s of different gas stations I’ve visited while pulling my travel trailer.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I really hate to say it, but topping off does something to the pop off valve.

When the pop off valve allows fuel to enter the vent tube that goes between tank & the charcoal cannister, the liquid gas breaks down the charcoal.
'We as a group ' need to refrain from topping off & or rounding up to the next dollar, we can only blame ourselves when we TOP OFF