Slow reaction of overdrive could give me a speeding ticket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
. Ticket the Truck.!! :eek:)

This is something we'll have to come to grips with sooner or later as self-drivers keep getting more autonomous but that's a discussion for a different vehicle entirely :Big Laugh:

yomanne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had similar issues with my 2014 Express with 5.7 Hemi 6-speed until I change the Tow/Haul so it defaults to Tow/Haul mode (think Sport mode). The shift points are so much better. Drives like a "normal" truck now. Don't notice any difference in fuel economy.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
The overdrive on my 2017 Tradesman is slow to change gears. When going up a hill, it doesn't start to gear down until going about 5 mph under the set speed. Then when it does gear down, it is going so slows that the RPMs jump to 4500 and it roars into action and by the time you reach the top of the hill, you are at least 5 mph over the set speed ...
I would not expect to see much difference between your 2014 and 2017. Both should jump over 4,000 when downshifting for a hill. Both should go a few under before the downshift, and end up a few over during the climb.

While a bit of throttle before the hill or as it slows and using tow haul are common work arounds, my question would be what did your last truck do?

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
Everything on my tradesman is slow to react. Stop at a stop sign and when you get ready to go, you press down on the accelerator and nothing happens, so you press a little more the RPM goes way up and you roar away down the road.

Turn on the fan on the heater or AC and nothing happens until a long delay
What engine and gears does it have? What is it's history?

If there were an issue with the thermostat I could see the truck taking longer to heat up, and that could impact drivability and performance.

Lots of posts on slow throttle, most being answered with get a tune or aftermarket device. Need to compare to similar make/model option as first step.

I've seen a few posts on slow throttles with the diesel and doing a throttle calibration (Turn your key to the run position, wait for all the lights and chimes to go off. Slowly depress the gas pedal all the way to the floor, and then slowly release it all the way up. Repeat two more times. Turn the key back off. Then start the truck.).

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
These trucks are programmed to chug and lug, and drone at the lowest RPM possible. While that may yield an additional.0001 MPG, it’s a miserable driving experience. While most people are staring at their phones while behind the wheel, there are still a few true Drivers left.

I do my own shifting; that’s why I’m such a fan of the Slap Stick. Paddles would serve the same purpose.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Your truck can't see the terrain ahead
It is sort of like you being blind folded & not knowing what is ahead

When the Cruise Control is On, our Rams when driving on a gradual up hill grade seem to down shift at the correct shift point & it is hardly noticeable

Unfortunately, if the uphill grade is 5 or 6 %, whatever the sensor is that determines speed, is off & does not downshift until the speed is 6 or 7 MPH below the set speed & when it down shifts, you realize how much power you have under the hood when it downshifts

I have ridden in a Ford pickup on that same road as above & noticed that its speed sensor catches the point it should down shift at 2 or 3 MPH below the set Cruise Control speed

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
5 mph over wont get you a ticket lol

Octane

Reaction score
Not for cruise it won't, and it won't fix a shifting issues. I really get tired of all the Pedal Commander bullhockey. Yes, it makes the pedal more touchy, but doesn't fix anything else.
You're right,nothing helps a Ram downshift easier and quicker.It's a dodge...lol.But mine aint doing what the op truck is doing now.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
I do not seem to have that issue with my 2020 RAM 3500 Tradesman dually HO diesel Aisin with a 4:10 rear axle with a 15k trailer behind me.

Ramwow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The overdrive on my 2017 Tradesman is slow to change gears. When going up a hill, it doesn't start to gear down until going about 5 mph under the set speed. Then when it does gear down, it is going so slows that the RPMs jump to 4500 and it roars into action and by the time you reach the top of the hill, you are at least 5 mph over the set speed and you could find yourself with a speeding ticket.
I took it to the dealer and they said it is operating as designed... so apparently, it is just a **** poor design! When going uphill, it should gear down sooner so the RPM doesn't get up so high, and then when it gets to the set speed it should stop accelerating instead of just keep putting the gas to it.

Everything on my tradesman is slow to react. Stop at a stop sign and when you get ready to go, you press down on the accelerator and nothing happens, so you press a little more the RPM goes way up and you roar away down the road.

You should be able to buy a tuner and change ur shift points or take it to get a tune done YouTube college is the best college lol

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unless the area your in has real sticklers for police, I highly doubt you'll get pulled over 5mph over. Especially not for a short bit while cresting or descending hills. Police speed radar is only accurate within 2-3% and the same goes for a vehicle speedometer. This coming directly from a speed enforcement officer, they usually don't even look at you unless your at least 10-15 mph over unless it's in a school/residential zone.
If your in a hilly area that causes the truck to frequently downshift to drive up hills, you might want to turn the Tow/Haul mode on.
The overdrive on my 2017 Tradesman is slow to change gears. When going up a hill, it doesn't start to gear down until going about 5 mph under the set speed. Then when it does gear down, it is going so slows that the RPMs jump to 4500 and it roars into action and by the time you reach the top of the hill, you are at least 5 mph over the set speed and you could find yourself with a speeding ticket.
I took it to the dealer and they said it is operating as designed... so apparently, it is just a **** poor design! When going uphill, it should gear down sooner so the RPM doesn't get up so high, and then when it gets to the set speed it should stop accelerating instead of just keep putting the gas to it.

should change gear going down until 3 - 5 mph under set speed, that is NORMAL, so is the up shift going up high. It is all based on lots of factors which control the shift point. And getting a speeding ticket, give me a break !! No one gets a ticket for 5 over anywhere especially at top of a hill. A little over stated I think. UIt is a Tradesman what 1500, 2500, or ??? Which motor, which transmission, the older transmission 64 and 68 series tend to shift slower than the newer ones, but even they are not out of acceptable range most of the time, they do as designed. And since they are mechanical and not human they can not 'see' what is coming to do things ahead of timer.

seanclark1503

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Diesel
I had exactly the same issue with my ‘99 V-10 w/ 46RE . The cruise control was controlled via a vacuum line I believe. Not sure if you could ever really do anything to make it more to your liking or not. The throttle lag can definitely be improved with (as Octane has said previously) a throttle controller of which there are many choices of these out there now. I bought the ‘Pedal Commander’ brand and found it to be just what I needed for turbo lag reduction and giving my ‘08 civilized road manners in the city. I had increased the power of my CTD motor to the point that it was necessary to get this ‘accessory’ just to avoid breaking traction every time I accelerated, took off from a dead stop and also if it is wet or icy out. Along with the turbo lag , I had the throttle lag you have. Good luck.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I drive my Ram 2500 diesel in manual mode all the time, I very rarely us 6th gear only on long distances.

David James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I’m thinking it’s not the cruise that may be out of adjustment.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Op is a troll.

Weebear

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I thought everybody knew that when you get close to the top of the hill you pushed the hemi switch and off you go!!
Hemi-switch? We have a hemi-switch?!

Oh, you mean the long vertical one on the right near the floor? Why didn't I think of that before? This whole cruise control/hill thing had me completely befuddled!

Octane

Reaction score
Hemi-switch? We have a hemi-switch?!

Oh, you mean the long vertical one on the right near the floor? Why didn't I think of that before? This whole cruise control/hill thing had me completely befuddled!
My "switch" has two speeds....wide open and stop.lol

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have a 3500 , and a dodge caravan and they both exhibit the same overshoot on cruise by 5 mph. My company car is a dodge caravan van, and the last three of them that I have had all did the same thing.

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What engine, transmission, and gears do you have? I do not have any problems with my Sport going up hills.