Slow tire leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgl102770

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8
I have a 2016 Ram 1500 Tradesman Quad 2WD. For the last couple years there's been a slow leak in the rear driver side tire. It get's down to the mid-30's, the warning comes on, and I fill it back up to low 40's. This is good for about a month, I only drive about 500 miles a month since I work from home.

I'm curious about the tire sealants they have. Are there any anyone here would recommend? And are any considered a longterm solution? I may be doing a road trip in a few months so wanted to get a handle on this. Thank you for any feedback.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Sealant is the equivalent of a donut spare. It's to get you off the road, not a long term fix. You'll end up with an out of balance tire and it'll make the real repair harder. A new valve or a plug+patch are cheap and effective fixes for whichever one is the issue.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agree. It should go to a tire shop. Valve stems can leak. Easy fix. Corrosion around the edge of rim can also cause leaks. Not so easy fix. Recently I had my wife's polished aluminum rims powder coated to correct slow leaks.

OP
OP
C

cgl102770

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8
Thank you all for the replies. I tried to add some air to it a few days ago, but it wouldn't take any, and the pump was difficult to remove from the stem, so I guess that's even more evidence the leak is in the tire stem?

I normally go to a local general repair place here near Atlanta, that I've been happy with, do you think that would be okay, or would you still recommend I take it to a tire place? Thanks again for the feedback.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I had a nail in my front passenger tire two months ago and took it in to have it plugged at Big O Tires, only $25 to remove the tire and plug from the inside. But now I have a slow leak again. Goes down to 35 PSI overnight. I'm going to take it back into the shop. As others said I would stay away from sealant on a car or truck tire.

If you have a place you go that you trust, they'd probably do it for a good price as well.

OP
OP
C

cgl102770

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8
They fixed it for free since I was doing a few other things, thank you all for the replies.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I am glad that you did not use Fix-a-Flat spray
Not only does irritate the tire guy, it fouls up the TPMS valve stem & they cost $35 & more