Sludgy Oil in 2014 3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeremiah walker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
2014 Ram 3500 with 6.7 Cummins 78,000mi: Last oil change@ 75,***

Was under my hood yesterday messing with my batteries and decided to check my oil. The truck hadn't been started and it was about 63F outside. Nothing was on my dip stick and when I took the cap off.. See attached pic. This is my first diesel and I couldn't find much of anything online. Is this normal ? Moisture in the oil perhaps ?

oil cap.jpg

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Jeremiah: Questions -
1. What oil are you running now and have been running in the past?
2. What are the length of your OCI!

That's not something any owner wants to see when he removes the oil fill cap.
No that is far from normal!

I'm also curious ---> What are your driving habits/style with this motor?
Example: Mostly Long trips/Mostly short strips ---> Never letting the motor fully getting to operating temp for decent periods of time.

I agree with U&A: Its time for a oil/filter change.

Then at least 1-2 times a week get that 6.7L on the highway/interstate for a period of time to get everything totally up to operating temp for a decent amount of time. (195*F - 200*F) The longer the better!

Just my own personal Main Concerns:
1. Length of your OCIs
2. Only Short trip driving habits/style = Not letting the 6.7L get up to full operating temp to help evaporate any moisture and (Cook) if you will any type of carbon contamination residue out of the oil.

If this type of $hit is never removed from the oil - it just keeps building up and building up.

EDIT: Sucks that your post was moved to this no mans land.
It would have got a lot more attention where it was at.
Good Luck to you!

Last edited:

Dark Knight 500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I would start doing very short OCI’s for a while to help clean that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would also dump a can of sea foam in the oil to help flush the engine out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Only time I have ever seen that was when I've ever seen that is when oil was never changed, just topped off when new. My 5.9 Cummins never looked like that. I f you're not changing your own oil,. I would be wondering if whomever you paid to change it actually did the job.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Wow that’s bad, only time I’ve seen that is when the oil wasn’t changed for a long long long time or if ever, I agree with the others, do quite a few short oci’s and run it. Also a engine flush wouldn’t hurt.

Reactions: U&A

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Also a engine flush wouldn’t hurt.
THIS!

Also, to get a useful answer you may respond to the essential questions SyN posted above.

Chris

Jeremiah: Questions -
1. What oil are you running now and have been running in the past?
2. What are the length of your OCI!

That's not something any owner wants to see when he removes the oil fill cap.
No that is far from normal!

I'm also curious ---> What are your driving habits/style with this motor?
Example: Mostly Long trips/Mostly short strips ---> Never letting the motor fully getting to operating temp for decent periods of time.

I agree with U&A: Its time for a oil/filter change.

Then at least 1-2 times a week get that 6.7L on the highway/interstate for a period of time to get everything totally up to operating temp for a decent amount of time. (195*F - 200*F) The longer the better!

Just my own personal Main Concerns:
1. Length of your OCIs
2. Only Short trip driving habits/style = Not letting the 6.7L get up to full operating temp to help evaporate any moisture and (Cook) if you will any type of carbon contamination residue out of the oil.

If this type of $hit is never removed from the oil - it just keeps building up and building up.

EDIT: Sucks that your post was moved to this no mans land.
It would have got a lot more attention where it was at.
Good Luck to you!

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Unless you got documentation stating otherwise, I would be looking at changing the crankcase filter that is a 67500 mile service interval.

recian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 24v
Unless you got documentation stating otherwise, I would be looking at changing the crankcase filter that is a 67500 mile service interval.

This because if the crank cant vent properly you'll start getting blowby burning the oil and overheating what's left causing sludge

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
YUP, looks like a venting/crankcase issue with blowback. Had a 66 Thunderbird with a 390 had a bad crankcase issue. It was so bad, it was smoking/venting out the oil cap. Wat a mess to clear up. I had to pull half of motor apart and clean out, but that was a gasser.

I am not a mechanic. I can tell U coming from an ED that U have to get them diesels up to temp operating for a while. These new ones not like the old ones, with all the new EPA BS> One of the main reasons I got rid of my ED, was only doing short trips, and I researched and saw wat could be end result..

Definitely get oil change now with new filters and an OA, also check the PCV filter/valve and see if clogged and replace, but all IMHO.......

URL ON HOW TO REPLACE CCV FILTER:

Reactions: SyN

recian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 24v
Yea the old 24v 5.9s used to just dump beside the block on driver's side but that made an oily mess and the EPA didnt like it so they added that filter to the 6.7s. very easy to change and i bet the old one will weigh 3x what the new one does. Definitely time to change it