Small jerk/surge uphill light throttle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RBinNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I know others have experienced this. When going uphill under light and steady throttle the truck can get a little jerky.

What usually happens is it bogs in a gear, and then I add more throttle steadily and then it down shifts in too low a gear as if I'm really trying to take off.

Today it ****** a little between gears like it couldn't decide which one was the right one.

This happens at neighborhood speeds, usually after it's been sitting a while.

Has anyone found a fix?

2019 ram 2500 6.4 8 speed 4x4 crew cab long bed.

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
Sure it’s not a combo of a downshift and switching out of MDS? I’ve noticed giving it light throttle it will hold that MDS a little longer than I’d like.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
take the egg off the accelerator pedal?
If you going up/down hills that causing the truck to lug turn the Tow/Haul on.

OP
OP
R

RBinNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Na, this isn't MDS, or lack of pedal.

Its literally only noticeable when I leave in the morning or leaving to come home, both up hill in neighborhoods. I'm not going to engage tow mode every time just so it stays in the right gear.

Today my buddy was with me while leaving and it did this kind of jerking like it couldn't decide which gear it wanted. He was like what the hell. I was holding the pedal exactly still

ToTheDarkSide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Mine does it in the mornings. Tow haul on or off, in manual mode and in regular mode. I have a long driveway so I’m in second gear by the time I hit the pavement. They say it’s the nature of the ZF beast when cold. I haven’t made it to the dealership yet For this question, and my exhaust popping noise during first series of shifts after I startup and drive after a 30 min shutdown. I’m too “essential” right now haha but I have a lifetime warranty to get it checked when I can. Truck runs great!

OP
OP
R

RBinNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Mine does it in the mornings. Tow haul on or off, in manual mode and in regular mode. I have a long driveway so I’m in second gear by the time I hit the pavement. They say it’s the nature of the ZF beast when cold. I haven’t made it to the dealership yet For this question, and my exhaust popping noise during first series of shifts after I startup and drive after a 30 min shutdown. I’m too “essential” right now haha but I have a lifetime warranty to get it checked when I can. Truck runs great!

Glad to know someone understands what I'm talking about.

On a separate note, how much for that lifetime warranty?

WoodGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not every single time, but often enough , I get a mild surging when I first take off when cold. Seems to just be the first 1-2 shift, then its done. I figured it was a "ZF trait" and was going to mention it if/when it goes into the dealer for something. Hearing someone else has it too re-affirms my suspicion. I too am interested about the lifetime warranty you mention

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine also does this first thing when the ZF is cold, if I feather the Accelerator it doesn't do it as much, wonder if there is a Reflash for the shifting strategy available from the dealer some day and have to do the adaptive learning, outside of that I love how the 8 speed shifts, it does this with MDS off and toe haul off it takes the transmission a long time to come up to temperature.

leeroy300

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie Sport
Engine
6.7 l
ok sorry a hemi HD is a rare site in this town.... my bad

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Mine does it too, only first thing when cold

2015HD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I'm experiencing the same thing with my 2019 2500 6.4L when cold. I live on a rough 1/8 mile dirt road. When I leave in the morning the truck seems to 'surge' going down my road, like it wants to giddy up and go when I apply the slightest throttle. I liken it to the old days when the 'choke' was active. When I pull on to main road (steep grade) it tends to 'hitch' a bit unless I really get into the throttle. Decided in my my own mind it's the nature of the beast and this thread seems to validate that.

leeroy300

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie Sport
Engine
6.7 l
ok after the flash to correct light surging FCA has decided to add more fuel to the issue
under identical conditions I went from 23L/100 km's to 29L/100 on same long hill same RPM's and same speed

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I usually start mine and let it warm up for a few minutes before heading out in the morning. No issues noted experienced if it’s warmed up. If I start and go it exhibits the noted symptoms.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01