Small V8 Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shane K Torres

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I'm ready to upgrade my exhaust. I don't have a Hemi and have the smaller V8 for gas mileage purposes and use it for work. Any suggestions? I do like the sound of the Spintech muffler but it's not available everywhere. I'm open to suggestions and will get the K&N air intake as well!

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the 4.7 in my first '09. Nice engine, but I find the mpg in my Hemi to be about the same. Still, if you're looking for 4.7 stuff, try http://www.airram.com/ These guys do a lot of work with the engine and could give you a better idea.

OP
OP
S

Shane K Torres

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Thanks for the site info they've got a lot of stuff on there and reasonable prices. As for the gas mileage I find it hard to believe a 4.7 and a Hemi would get the same gas mileage. What kind of gas mileage are you getting? I'm right at 17 in town and recently 20 on HWY

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
got the smaller motor for that 1mpg did ya? That's logical.

2016Bighorny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The best "bang for the buck" is to straight pipe your truck. The 4.7l's sound GREAT straight piped!!! Or, and Aeroturbine muffler, they sound great on them too!

OP
OP
S

Shane K Torres

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Not sure where yillbs gets 1 from but he's obviously lacking experience. Straight pipe is exactly where I'm headed!

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At the time I had the 4.7, I was doing 80+ miles a day - mostly 2/4 lane back roads at 60mph or so. I was averaging 18mpg. I hit 19.5 (hand calculated, I still have the spreadsheet) once on a trip upstate. My 4.7 was a 4x4, and my Hemi isn't, so that would account for about a 1mpg difference.

Now I work closer to home so I'm only do about 30 miles a day, half interstate and half surface streets, and I'm at about 17mpg average. Just recently on a trip to FL, I managed 22.5 on the EVIC. It's about 1-1.5 mpg off, so still over 20mpg. My experience has been that MDS works, but only over time/distance.

CanadianNick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Not sure where yillbs gets 1 from but he's obviously lacking experience. Straight pipe is exactly where I'm headed!
Well if you do some research the the hemi actually is more fuel efficient than the 4.7

Edward Abilama

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did the k&n intake system and a flowmaster super 40 muffler with a dual side exit in front of the tire. I actually saw a very similar setup on YouTube and I am very pleased with the sound of both the intake and exhaust. I attached some pics for ya. Some people naysay flowmaster but to each their own lol

ACAEED35-1EF2-43FD-805D-CB30183EF4A4.png 93E77392-D6BB-4A1E-BE7B-5CAC1412931A.jpeg 3FC7470F-F270-411C-8861-19EC7FC39886.jpeg

GoatRider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7
I’ve got a flowmaster and it sounds damn good in person. Barely noticeable at 65-70. Straight piping next year after I finish my cosmetic mods.

2013 Ram
4.7L v8
K&N filter
Flowmaster 40
IG- the_sneauxman

OP
OP
S

Shane K Torres

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I've talked to at least 10 Dodge Ram Hemi owners and they say they average right about 10-12 MPG on a good day! I'm sure you all with the Hemi's have a few mod's, and I've been told the K&N for sure will help with gas mileage. If the Hemi is similar in MPG I may consider that if I get another Dodge. I like the pip cut offs before the tires there Edward and sweet truck. I am not a fan of the drone cabin noise of the Flowmasters but again to each is own. I've got the K&N on order and will hopefully make a decision on the exhaust before it gets here.

Mohan Kurup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
For what it's worth, I average 16.5 MPG with my 5.7 Hemi with mixed highway / city driving. No modifications, 2016 Big Horn. 87 octane fuel. This is according to the dash, not hand calculated.

Edward Abilama

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've talked to at least 10 Dodge Ram Hemi owners and they say they average right about 10-12 MPG on a good day! I'm sure you all with the Hemi's have a few mod's, and I've been told the K&N for sure will help with gas mileage. If the Hemi is similar in MPG I may consider that if I get another Dodge. I like the pip cut offs before the tires there Edward and sweet truck. I am not a fan of the drone cabin noise of the Flowmasters but again to each is own. I've got the K&N on order and will hopefully make a decision on the exhaust before it gets here.

Thanks I am pretty satisfied with it too. I am glad you are getting your intake first, take it out and drive it and give it some pedal after you install it, I was amazed at the sound difference that just the intake made! I am going with a Borla next time for sure but sound for buck, I am pretty happy with the FM. Good luck on your build, let us know what exhaust you go with and how you like it!

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine's an '09 like yours, so the same 545RFE trans and an all stock Hemi. When looking at the EPA figures just for reference, the 4.7 was good for about 1mpg better. Real world for me, didn't work out that way.

Having said that, there are times when I wish I'd kept my original '09.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Carven R sounds good

i have a magnaflow 18 on my hemi. it's pretty well rounded, does what i want. not overly loud, but good tone and throat under power.

i like corsa too.

black widow is another decent option. haven't seen much from this company in the wild, not compared to the others i've sent

here's a flowerpowermaster if you want to be like everyone else. lol

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I didn't know you could still get a 4.7.

You'd think with the Pentastar, and the 5.7, they had the bases covered.

A friend of mine has over 260,000 miles on a Durango 4.7. They must be a tough little engine. He's not one for a lot of maintenance.

Does that yellow truck look as good in person as what it does in pics? That thing is just the coolest!

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't know you could still get a 4.7.

You'd think with the Pentastar, and the 5.7, they had the bases covered.

A friend of mine has over 260,000 miles on a Durango 4.7. They must be a tough little engine. He's not one for a lot of maintenance.

Does that yellow truck look as good in person as what it does in pics? That thing is just the coolest!

I think the pentastar replaces the 3.7 and the 4.7 as a singular offering. the 4.7 is a pretty technologically sound engine but I don’t think it ever got its moment in the sun lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think 2012 was the last year you could get the 4.7.

I think part of the reason is that the original 4.7 didn't seems to go over as well. Didn't have much power, and seemed to have issues. At least that what I heard while I was on the Dakota forums. The Corsair 4.7 - from 2008 on - seemed to be much better, but I think at that point, the Pentastar was already on the way.

OP
OP
S

Shane K Torres

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Hey guy I wanted to report that I went with the Magnaflow 18, as well as the K&N Cold air intake. I couldn't be more please with the overall sound and performance. I've noticed my gas mileage has decreased but that goes with my heavy foot/volume of the new exhaust. I'll get over it soon! Hopefully :)......Next up Tuner adjustment then I should be doing pretty good.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guy I wanted to report that I went with the Magnaflow 18, as well as the K&N Cold air intake. I couldn't be more please with the overall sound and performance. I've noticed my gas mileage has decreased but that goes with my heavy foot/volume of the new exhaust. I'll get over it soon! Hopefully :)......Next up Tuner adjustment then I should be doing pretty good.

my city mpg tanked when I did my vararam. I have a magnaflow 18 on mine too, sometimes I think about going back to stock. I like the incognito, and the vararam is a loud intake so I still hear the truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk