Smarty Update- How to

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Not sure were this goes...but I have seen a lot of confusion on how to update your Smarty tuner (diesel tuner). The tuner comes new from the factory NOT updated...so right off the bat your gotta update it. Well the Smarty isn't like a Superchips...Smarty take a little more that that. SO I figured it would be a good idea to "dumb" down the process a little bit (instructions online are kinda confusing)

The USB cord for the Smarty is a standard printer cord...use that!

Steps

1. Open the website Mads Electronics - Smarty - CaTCHER - Dodge Tuning - Home

2. Go to "downloads"

3. Select the the tuner you have (S06 Pod, S67ME, ect ect)

4. Scroll down to "tools" and you will see Smarty USB.exe...click on that.

5. That will download, and ask you to save it. Save it to a folder you can find later on. Once saved...ckick on "RUN". A window should pop up with a BIG button that says "SEND"...go ahead and minumize that.
DSCF0233.jpg

6. If you have 7ZIP on your computer already...skipped step 7. If you dont (or dont know what I'm talking about), continue to step 7.

7. Go back to the page of downloads for your tuner. Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page...you will see a black and white 7ZIP button...click that...that will take you to another page...it will tell you its downloading. Once download...save it to the folder you made earlier.

8. Now that you have both the "USB" and "7ZIP" downloaded to your computer...go BACK to the page that has all the downloads for your tuner.

9. In the center of the page, you will see "software upgrades"...chose the software upgrade you want. Some with have the TNT upgrade... some will have the REVO upgrade. YOU chose your poison. Click the one you want...that will start to download. Save it to that fancy folder you made earlier.

10. Once your upgrade has been downloaded...you know have to UNZIP the file you just down loaded. This is were 7ZIP comes into play.

11. Go to your start menu, click on "all programs", scroll threw untill you find the 7-ZIP folder, click 7-ZIP folder...that will drop down and say "7-ZIP file manager", click that.

12. Step 11 brought up your 7ZIP manager...in there, on the left hand side should have folders. Dig threw there untill you find that folder you made earlier (step 5). Find the downloaded "software upgrade" you did in step 9. Highlight that download. Once highlighted, you will see a button at the top that say "extract"...click that. Once you click that, it will ask you were you wanna save it...guess were your gonna save it??? Thats right, in your fancy folder you made earlier.

13. If the file has been extracted properly... it will look like a bunch of letters and numbers fallowed by ".smt" if you see that...you have done it right!!!
DSCF0234.jpg

14. Step 5...the USB thingy you minumized...go ahead and bring that up. Plug your smarty into the USB port.

15. Click the "SEND" button...this will bring up your folders. Go and find your fancy folder. Once in your fancy folder... find that "software upgrade" that has a bunch of letters and numbers fallowed by ".smt"...click on that...then click open.

16. Once you click open...you will see in that window that its updating your smarty. Should take roughly 20-40 minutes to update. Once finshed it will say "complete"...unplug your smarty...plug it in your truck...and go blow your tranny up :)
DSCF0219.jpg
DSCF0220.jpg

If you get "data errors" when you try and tune your truck...try updating again...if that still dont work...call MADS and they will set ya straight.

I have updated a hand full of smarty's for guys at work (I work for Cummins) so please feel free to hit me up if you have problems!

Last edited:

Uncle Ugly

Reaction score
Here is the absolute best version of "Smarty For Dummies" update thread you will ever find.

Follow it word for word and your in like flint.

http://www.madselectronics.com/DownloadS06A.html

P.S.-I know its off of another Dodge Forum but maybe someone here who is smarter with a computer than me can get the info and make it a sticky to keep here for all.
With many of the Smarty tuners having new software placed on the website and the soon to be released UDC(User Defined Catcher) soon there,it would be a great idea.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963