So I just sold my new Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RBinNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
So I just sold my 19 ram 2500.

I know I'm going to catch a lot of flack for this post but hey :33:.

First off, I really liked the truck and loved the configuration. Long bed CC 4x4 6.4.
Very attractive truck, and nice standard features.

Here's what killed it. Over the 7 months I owned it, I went back to the dealer for various issues, all of which they handled very well. I had a defect in the chrome grill and they replaced it. The MDS was annoying as hell, maybe worse in this configuration I don't know. They replaced active noise dampeners which obviously didn't fix the vibration I'd get at 1900 rpm.
The truck was 2 quarts low on oil by 4k miles when I first checked. The steering wheel made a ratchet clicking sound which I've posted a video on here. Started in April and they just got the part in now 4 months later. Not their fault considering covid. The power window switch cluster was loose in the driver's door.

On the good side it was plenty fast, and towed like a champ. 4.10 rear. Very attractive truck. Probably my favorite looking HD currently.

So I had some issues. I find it ridiculous that none of my local napa or autozones carry the special spec pennzoil or valvoline required in this engine. That's an unnecessary hassle for a working person like myself. I'm not ordering on Amazon and paying shipping and waiting for oil when it's due. Yeah I could order ahead of time but get real. Its a hassle.

So, being new to ram, as I deeper research the 6.4 I begin to learn of the cam/lifter failures on them. Yes, every brand and engine has failures. Doesn't mean it's all bad. So I begin to ask around, my friends and customers with Chrysler products. 4 out of 5 of them have had lifter failure before 100k miles.

So I get nervous. I say, ya know what? I'll buy a great warranty and be at ease with this. Well they discontinued the lifetime bumper to bumper warranty last year. Best I can get is 8 years or 125k miles.

For what I paid, this truck needs to do 125k miles like it's nothing. I expect 200k miles or at minimum 175 without needing to tear into the engine and rebuild the top end for 5k.

I know this will ruffle feathers. I mean no disrespect, because I wish this worked out. But it didn't. I can't spend this money and know this many failures personally.

I sold the truck today. Took a 5k hit. I'm going to hold out a while and see what direction I go, and I'm very interested in the Ford 7.3 gas pushrod engine.

OP
OP
R

RBinNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
So I just sold my 19 ram 2500.

I know I'm going to catch a lot of flack for this post but hey :33:.

First off, I really liked the truck and loved the configuration. Long bed CC 4x4 6.4.
Very attractive truck, and nice standard features.

Here's what killed it. Over the 7 months I owned it, I went back to the dealer for various issues, all of which they handled very well. I had a defect in the chrome grill and they replaced it. The MDS was annoying as hell, maybe worse in this configuration I don't know. They replaced active noise dampeners which obviously didn't fix the vibration I'd get at 1900 rpm.
The truck was 2 quarts low on oil by 4k miles when I first checked. The steering wheel made a ratchet clicking sound which I've posted a video on here. Started in April and they just got the part in now 4 months later. Not their fault considering covid. The power window switch cluster was loose in the driver's door.

On the good side it was plenty fast, and towed like a champ. 4.10 rear. Very attractive truck. Probably my favorite looking HD currently.

So I had some issues. I find it ridiculous that none of my local napa or autozones carry the special spec pennzoil or valvoline required in this engine. That's an unnecessary hassle for a working person like myself. I'm not ordering on Amazon and paying shipping and waiting for oil when it's due. Yeah I could order ahead of time but get real. Its a hassle.

I joined a facebook ram hd group and asked how many people had lifter/cam failures. Too many responded they did, some below 50k miles.

"Just buy a diablo" "just scroll into 8th gear to keep MDS off" "just run in tow mode" "just buy a pedal commander"
AC Not cold, trans is surgey uphill when cold.

So, being new to ram, as I deeper research the 6.4 I begin to learn of the cam/lifter failures on them. Yes, every brand and engine has failures. Doesn't mean it's all bad. So I begin to ask around, my friends and customers with Chrysler products. 4 out of 5 of them have had lifter failure before 100k miles.

So I get nervous. I say, ya know what? I'll buy a great warranty and be at ease with this. Well they discontinued the lifetime bumper to bumper warranty last year. Best I can get is 8 years or 125k miles.

For what I paid, this truck needs to do 125k miles like it's nothing. I expect 200k miles or at minimum 175 without needing to tear into the engine and rebuild the top end for 5k.

I know this will ruffle feathers. I mean no disrespect, because I wish this worked out. But it didn't. I can't spend this money and know this many failures personally.

I sold the truck today. Took a 5k hit. I'm going to hold out a while and see what direction I go, and I'm very interested in the Ford 7.3 gas pushrod engine.

OP
OP
R

RBinNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Sorry I meant to edit and add to my post and it quoted it somehow

trailhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Larimie Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Let us know what you end up with..

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Well, at least it's a sellers market at the moment. Lightly used vehicles, especially trucks are selling like mad and for good $.

I'd be ticked too at the issues you had and I hear you on the MDS thing. It's annoying as heck to me on my 2019 classic as well, but I'll live with it given the day to day MPGs I get with the beast. Plus I can turn it off with one click of the +/- shift buttons if I'm in a situation where it's really bugging me. I don't care what FCA tries to mitigate the vibs and sound that happens in 4cyl mode. You can hang all the do-dads off the frame you want and it's still there if you really feel and listen.

That Ford Godzilla beast looks sweet on paper, but it's still a Ford and it's a new engine. You're not going to get the same day/day MPGs at all with it, but it sounds like that's not a concern for you.

I personally don't sweat the oil thing at all and run synthetic 5w30 in my hemi 5.7l. They can prove it that I didn't run 'recommended' oil in the unlikely event I have a cam/lifter issue in 60K miles.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Out of your problems the 2 qts low on oil in 4k miles would have worried me the most. That's usually not something that tends to fix itself over time either.

MDS seems to bother some more than others, I can hear and feel it (ever so slightly in both cases) but it doesn't bother me at all - actually at times I try to drive in MDS, nothing like getting 28-30 mpg @ 50 mph with a hemi and 3.92 gears.

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, I could understand getting out of it. I've been thinking of getting the 2500 with the 6.4. Maybe I will look harder at the Cummins, though I don't want the added maintenance expense.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Yeah, I could understand getting out of it. I've been thinking of getting the 2500 with the 6.4. Maybe I will look harder at the Cummins, though I don't want the added maintenance expense.

My 2500 with the 6.4 has been flawless. Don’t write it off just yet.

Bowzer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Sold off the '18...maybe another soon.
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve thought about doing it myself, but man, I’m impressed with it and I just hope the lifters hold up. Wish me luck ;)

I think I'll make a voodoo trinket, pocket sized, for the rest of us running on that same faith. (It will probably have RL5w30 on it!)

To the OP, it ain't a good investment if it's putting you in a bad place. Good luck landing on what does that for ya. No shame in your game, friend.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I wasn't happy with mine when I first bought it either, but the sales tax warranty and other stuff adds up as well as depreciation as soon as it's been registered so I kept it. Kept my old truck for a couple years though because I disliked the new one so much and didn't trust it to be reliable. Been driving it over a year now after it sat for almost 2. Lesson in test driving the one you plan to buy and looking it over despite it being new. It's a major purchase and getting it wrong is either expensive or a long term irritation if you're stuck driving something you aren't happy with.

Scotts26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the truck was causing you that much grief you did the right thing getting rid of it. Got some bad news though. The next vehicle you buy, wether it be the Ford or a Ferrari, it’s gonna have issues too.
I honestly don’t get how people get so worked up over small issues with a vehicle. It’s a machine mass produced by other machines and humans. There will never be a perfect one. But my view may be skewed by a lot of years working with mechanical equipment.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
.....I honestly don’t get how people get so worked up over small issues with a vehicle. It’s a machine mass produced by other machines and humans. There will never be a perfect one. But my view may be skewed by a lot of years working with mechanical equipment.

I'm with you there. I was way more picky with my new vehicles when I was in my 20s and 30s and would be back to the dealer in a heartbeat. Now that I'm just shy of 50, I don't see a dealer or any shop unless I absolutely have to. I let a lot more oddities go now as well. LOL

Eddie S

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
If the truck was causing you that much grief you did the right thing getting rid of it. Got some bad news though. The next vehicle you buy, wether it be the Ford or a Ferrari, it’s gonna have issues too.
I honestly don’t get how people get so worked up over small issues with a vehicle. It’s a machine mass produced by other machines and humans. There will never be a perfect one. But my view may be skewed by a lot of years working with mechanical equipment.
Preach it Brother!!!!

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque

It’s a man-made mechanical device so it will have issues, will have failures and things will break. You expect perfection, know failure is inevitable but hope to have the odds on your side for minimal issues.

Should something break through no fault of your own, that’s what your warranty is for.

On a side note, I’ve got a lifetime warranty on the power train - anything that’s lubricated, rotates, oiled, fueled, fires or otherwise propels the vehicle. This includes the engine, transmission, transfer case, axles, drive shafts, hubs, fuel system and any directly related electronics, mounts or fasteners. Labor is also covered 100%.

This was one of the factors that helped me choose where to buy my truck.

Best of luck on your next purchase. Do your homework.

Scotts26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve thought about doing it myself, but man, I’m impressed with it and I just hope the lifters hold up. Wish me luck ;)

I personally lose sleep every night worrying that my lifters are gonna fly out of the heads at 9mm velocities on the next startup...I mean it happened to 4 out 5 of my buddies cousins neighbors trucks...

OP
OP
R

RBinNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
It’s a man-made mechanical device so it will have issues, will have failures and things will break. You expect perfection, know failure is inevitable but hope to have the odds on your side for minimal issues.

Should something break through no fault of your own, that’s what your warranty is for.

On a side note, I’ve got a lifetime warranty on the power train - anything that’s lubricated, rotates, oiled, fueled, fires or otherwise propels the vehicle. This includes the engine, transmission, transfer case, axles, drive shafts, hubs, fuel system and any directly related electronics, mounts or fasteners. Labor is also covered 100%.

This was one of the factors that helped me choose where to buy my truck.

Best of luck on your next purchase. Do your homework.

I definitely would have kept the truck if I could get a lifetime power train but alas, chrysler discontinued that warranty offer.

OP
OP
R

RBinNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi

I'm no stranger to it. But the funny thing is, this is my first new vehicle at 34 , and by FAR the most expensive I've bought. So my expectations rose as well. Sure, nothing's perfect, and my dealer was excellent in helping serve my issues. But the nickel and dime stuff was a pain, the MDS genuinely bothered me - I test drove a single cab and it wasn't nearly as bad, not sure why. Then the hunt for the right oil. Then the others I know needing lifters. Too many headaches for a 40k truck that I never had in my 4k truck. No odd vibrations from cylinder shut down, jolty trans, ice cold ac, etc.

Anyway, I appreciate you guys