So pros and cons of the Cummins?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The biggest con of the Cummins is the payload. At about 12,000lbs you are pretty much maxed out on payload so no way you are legally gonna tow a 15,000lb trailer unless you load everything behind the trailer axle, which won't tow very well and not be very safe. Not a product of being a bad package, just the weight restrictions on a 2500 and the extra weight of the heavy Cummins. I said before if I needed a diesel it would be a 3500. Anything I can legally tow with a 2500 Cummins I can tow with my 6.4. If I needed to tow more then I'd go 3500

absolute-hogwash.jpg

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That 6.4 won’t be towing at its capacity up hill at freeway speeds like a Cummins. That truck will struggle, Cummins just drive on by.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
My previous reply withstanding, I’ll set this bouncing Betty and watch the chaos ensue...

Let’s talk engines...

In my opinion, the current production model Cummins (HO and non-HO) are vastly superior compared to its competition which includes the Powerstroke and Duramax. I’ve always found inline engines with larger bores and displacement to be superior to 90* V diesels. This holds true in the tractor market where Cummins dominates the market.

Now let’s talk vehicles...

The 2500 (or 250)

Is the wrong vehicle for the Diesel engine. The GVWR is too low (10,000#) to make proper use of this engine. Payload at or under 2500# is absolutely ridiculous as a family of four and their gear can easily take 1000-1500# right off the top. Thus, leaving a measly 1000-1500# payload remaining for trailer tongue weight, quads, etc. Your payload is the limiting factor and quite frankly a joke. Anyone that buys the 2500 (or 250) to tow heavy (6-7 tons +) bought what they could afford rather than something better suited to the task.

The Diesel engine belongs in the 3500...

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Not hogwash. Easily verifiable. I'm not saying the Cummins is a bad engine, just that a Cummins in a 2500 with the low GVWR is a waste. You can never max out the towing capacity or work the engine to how it was designed with a 2500. A Cummins NEEDS a 3500 to really use it's potential.

Now the 6.4 definitely won't tow that 12,000 as easy as the Cummins will but will do it.

Last edited:

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My son looked at a 2019 2500 Cummins today. It was a Laramie with I think 20,000 miles. Price was $58,000 and they refused to budge. He has a 2018 2500 Big Horn 6.4 4.10's. Has every option except sunroof, ram box, heated seats and leather. He has about 82,000 miles on it. Dealer told him they'd give him $25,000. He laughed at them.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
My son looked at a 2019 2500 Cummins today. It was a Laramie with I think 20,000 miles. Price was $58,000 and they refused to budge. He has a 2018 2500 Big Horn 6.4 4.10's. Has every option except sunroof, ram box, heated seats and leather. He has about 82,000 miles on it. Dealer told him they'd give him $25,000. He laughed at them.

His truck would sell at auction for upper $30’s low $40’s. He was right to laugh and walk.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
His truck would sell at auction for upper $30’s low $40’s. He was right to laugh and walk.
Yep. He is happy with his truck. He has towed his 8000lb TT about 7000 miles and it has been perfect. His only concern is he has no warranty now and with him driving about 60,000-70,000 miles a year in another year his truck will be at the point that he will ned to start looking for something else. He uses it for work so has to be reliable and with 150,000 miles he might be pushing the reliability issue a little. He doesn't need the Cummins for towing but with the miles he puts on it the resale will be better.

He asked the salesman about coming down a few thousand on the Cummins and they said there is no way they will budge on that price. His truck is in great shape. No dings or scratches. It's 100% factory except the tires. They are stock size but obviously not the originals. It has the full console with the 8.4 touchscreen nav, power sliding rear window with defrost, Trail Ridge tow mirrors with power fold, turn signal, puddle light, etc. It also has the engine block heater, Outdoorsman, Off-Road package and 4.10's. It has 100% the same options as mine. Other than the color they are identical.

Blaise_truck_and_camper.jpg

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My previous reply withstanding, I’ll set this bouncing Betty and watch the chaos ensue...

Let’s talk engines...

In my opinion, the current production model Cummins (HO and non-HO) are vastly superior compared to its competition which includes the Powerstroke and Duramax. I’ve always found inline engines with larger bores and displacement to be superior to 90* V diesels. This holds true in the tractor market where Cummins dominates the market.

I'm not a diesel guy and I like Ram and GMC equally and hate Ford so that's my bias. But the dmax is rated at what, 150 lb/ft of torque less than the cummins, and pretty much tows the same as the others? Nothing wrong what GMC is doing IMHO. It has always been the underdog, rated to pull less, but TFL has done several tests of these trucks and in the previous gens the dmax walked away from the others. Ford has the advantage now though.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not a diesel guy and I like Ram and GMC equally and hate Ford so that's my bias. But the dmax is rated at what, 150 lb/ft of torque less than the cummins, and pretty much tows the same as the others? Nothing wrong what GMC is doing IMHO. It has always been the underdog, rated to pull less, but TFL has done several tests of these trucks and in the previous gens the dmax walked away from the others. Ford has the advantage now though.

Back in 2012 when I left Colorado, I really wanted to try being a diesel guy for a change but since car dealerships won’t help you out that much on financing a vehicle that has over 100,000 miles on it, I didn’t want to take a chance on everything being OK once I got to my new state and found a job when I got my divorce but with no down payment on a 2006 ram three-quarter ton with the Cummins that only had about 124,000 miles on it, on a three-year loan, it was going to cost me well over $550 a month so I just settled on the halfton with the hemi that I traded my car in for.

I don’t know if the Duramax is still like it was before but at least before, they seemed to be the only V-8 diesel that still got a pretty good fuel mileage when you weren’t trying to squeeze every bit of power out of it but that power stroke on the other hand, everybody that I know or have known that has one or has had one of those that no matter what they do to them whether they’re working or not, they suck the fuel down.

But yeah Phord may have the crown now but with these borderline childish horsepower wars, it’ll be Ram or GMC/Chibby next but at least Ram and the Cummins was the first one to surpass a thousand foot pounds of torque… LOL. Now I just wonder which ones gonna be the first one to break over the 500 hp mountain.

It’s funny, I wonder why it even matters anymore who has the most powerful diesel because 10, 15 years ago, people were tickled pink to be able to squeeze 650, 750 even in some cases, upwards of 900 foot pounds of torque out of your common diesel pick up that nowadays, you just go to the dealership and buy one. Of course, you got to get one with all that California emissions crap on it but, straight out of the factory, it oughta be able to do everything you need to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I bought my 11’ in AZ with 172k on it. I financed roughly $10k, I did however put down $20k. So I think they can be financed, just may need to put a bigger down payment.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You absolutely stole those unless they are just completely trashed. That is Not the norm by a long shot.

They ran and the body's are perfect