So the results are in……

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dragrazor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry to start another thread on this topic but I was pretty excited to bring you all the news. On another thread I posted that I was about to put pennzoil ultra synthetic 5w-20 and lube Gard.
Thread 'Avoiding the hemi tick?'
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/avoiding-the-hemi-tick.193881/

Quick synopsis, 2019 warlock with the 5.7. I would notice a brief tick at startup every morning. It would last about 1-2 seconds. A quick search of this gave me different answers. Some say it’s normal as the oil needs time to reach the top of the motor. Others say it’s not normal. Well, that startup tick noise is gone with the new oil/lubegard combo. I don’t know if it’s just a bandaid to a bad design or if it’s the recipe needed to avoid cam/lifter failure. Only time will tell but I am happy to report that for now, this combo seems to have worked. Thanks to this site and all the knowledgeable folk here. It’s great when we can all help each other. By the way, it took a few hundred miles for it to go away as I believe Burla had mentioned. I will be trying 5w-30 on the next oil change and the lubegard of course.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It's a cool feeling when that strategy works, so now you know a lubrication strategy can work on your truck. Stay least aggressive as you can and keep the nuclear option in the back pocket. As in 5w30 PUP is still not aggressive at all as pointed out in that thread. If at some point it becomes less effective, break out the 5w30 redline and a 20-820 filter.

That is also very helpful info that it didnt go quiet right away. When the tick goes away right after a change it means it was viscosity and not the moly that quieted it. When it takes a couple hundred miles, you know the moly plate was the cause of the smoothness. Plus you went from 5w20 to 5w20 I assume, so clearly anyway you look at this the moly is what helped this tick. That is not a mask, but it actually solves the issue as long as the tick is gone.

OP
OP
dragrazor

dragrazor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you @Burla for your help. You and others here are a wealth of knowledge and it is very much appreciated by the rest of us.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Want a kick, read the reviews on amazon and see how many hemi's run this stuff. I just read about 20 and at least half of those seam to be hemi's and many mention ram forum as the place they got the info. Also, man look at the satisfaction rating, to me that is the real juice. You look at redlines ratings usually 100%, nothing like it, but this is pretty close as well. Funny how these things also follow the results we had here in treating hemi tick.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am3334